The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 02-27-2021, 12:11 AM
Charter Member

Our society is really screwed up....

These types of events give further proof to Stephen Hawking's prediction of only another 150 years for the human race...
Old 02-27-2021, 05:53 AM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY

More info:
The LAPD also updated the condition of the dog walker, saying he was "stable" with injuries that were not life-threatening.

words from Lady Gaga:
She also praised the dog walker. "You risked your life to fight for our family," she said. "You're forever a hero."
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 02-27-2021, 07:21 AM
Charter Member

I read that she returned them to a police station. Gaga might have said no questions asked, but that doesn’t bind the police, who I’m guessing will have a few.
Old 02-27-2021, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitargabor View Post
Our society is really screwed up....

These types of events give further proof to Stephen Hawking's prediction of only another 150 years for the human race...
Proof of what? Anybody can say that. In fact the predictions have been going on for centuries and we were supposed to have been gone any number of times.
Anyway, Stephen Hawkins is gone from this place and we will be as well so I guess we won’t be around to prove him right or wrong.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

Last edited by rokdog49; 02-27-2021 at 12:41 PM.
Old 02-27-2021, 01:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
Proof of what? Anybody can say that. In fact the predictions have been going on for centuries and we were supposed to have been gone any number of times.
Anyway, Stephen Hawkins is gone from this place and we will be as well so I guess we won’t be around to prove him right or wrong.
Yes and No
First "Yes" given what Hawkins was in fact talking about , which are different subjects than human behavior and societal decline. So you are correct the despicable act of steeling dogs and shooting the human in the process has no relationship to the basis of what Hawkins was predicting as scientifically possible.

But then again No you are incorrect, historically apocalyptic predictions were based primarily on highly subjective religious imaginings, not objective science.
And "No" not to mention that just "Anybody" has neither the intellectual genius , nor the vast objective scientific knowledge that Hawkins had

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 02-27-2021 at 01:47 PM.
Old 02-27-2021, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Yes and No
First "Yes" given what Hawkins was in fact talking about , which are different subjects than human behavior and societal decline. So you are correct the despicable act of steeling dogs and shooting the human in the process has no relationship to the basis of what Hawkins was predicting as scientifically possible.

But then again No you are incorrect, historically apocalyptic predictions were based primarily on highly subjective religious imaginings, not objective science.
And "No" not to mention that just "Anybody" has neither the intellectual genius , nor the vast objective scientific knowledge that Hawkins had
This “science” you speak of changes with the wind.Lots of scientific predictions have already come and gone and been false as well.
Stephen Hawkins’ predictions about the 150 years are hypothesis, nothing more.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

Last edited by rokdog49; 02-27-2021 at 09:13 PM.
Old 02-27-2021, 08:39 PM

Stephen Hawking has left the building...

Last edited by Denny B; 02-27-2021 at 09:03 PM.
Old 02-27-2021, 08:45 PM

The last report about the dogs said the woman found them tied to a utility pole in an alley a few miles from the scene of the crime...she contacted the message center that had been set up and was told to take them to a Police station, which she did...the report said she had no connection to the crime itself, just recognized the dogs from all the publicity...

Lady Gaga reportedly said that she was very happy to pay the $500,000 reward...
Old 02-28-2021, 07:52 AM

Quote:
This “science” you speak of changes with the wind. Lots of scientific predictions have already come and gone and been false as well.
Exactly.

Any time someone mentions the science having been decided couldn't be making a less scientific statement.
New ice age coming was when? World starvation because the planet can't support more than 1 billion people?
Just 12 more years before it's too late?
Friedman WW Smallbox, Marshall 4212
Old 02-28-2021, 08:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
This “science” you speak of changes with the wind.Lots of scientific predictions have already come and gone and been false as well.
Not really. Hawkins predictions were/are based on science theory, not hypothesis. A significant scientific distinction, often confused by, or lost on, us non scientists, or intentionally misused by self anointed science skeptic pundits filling the media and the pubic with misinformation.

For example there is no ("this" science you speak of) ,,,,, there is only science, and NO it does not change with "the wind",,,, it sometimes changes over time when additional new evidence and or repeatable new or improved testing methods lead to a different data, resulting in new or adjusted conclusion. Which is why we are discussing via computer and not banging wood and skin drums to communicate.

That ability to evolve is the strength of science not a flaw, as many misbelieve and or hope, and is often offered by the pundits who intentionally misuse the terms to fool many into buying into their agenda driven conjecture.
Ever notice how these science skeptics pundits only question that part of science that might invalidate their pre conceived notions ?

Not to mention the process of hypothesis to be tested, followed by theory based on test results,,, is fully half of science.
Non of which suggests anything to refute the simple truth that Hawkins science based theories holds much more objective value, over John Q's lack of knowledge or the pundit skeptics, highly cherry picked, selective, and totally subjective notions.

Could Hawkins predictions prove to be wrong in the future ? Of course that is why they are called a predictions based on current theory, not fact ( which no one here has claimed) ..... Does that mean that Joe Blow' talk show hosts conjecture, or John Q's scientific ignorance based skepticism, is of equal objective value ? NOT EVEN CLOSE

BUT AGAIN ::: None of this relates even remotely to the despicable behavior of criminals

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Last edited by Kerbie; 02-28-2021 at 05:43 PM. Reason: Removed prohibited topic.
Old 02-28-2021, 08:20 AM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitargabor View Post

150 years for the human race...
Lately I've been thinking you could move the decimal point to the left and be MUCH more accurate.

Old 02-28-2021, 11:22 AM

Quote:
“Science” does change over time, not with the wind, but with refinement in technique and precision, and as the data suggests that earlier theories were incomplete or mistaken.

“Science” is a human endeavor. It is not always correct. But if you ever need to bet, bet on science. Over long term, you will make money.

Would you rather rely on science to determine the treatment for your cancer, or would you prefer to use methods that are not scientific? Are you unhappy that some of what “science” said about cancer treatment in 1960 has changed in the intervening years, leading to increased survival rates for most cancers, and treatments that are more precisely targeted and more effective and less disruptive to life during treatment? After “science” indicated in the 1960’s that smoking “may cause cancer” and other diseases like COPD, some folks continued to smoke. What percentage of the folks who continued smoking ended up being glad that they didn’t listen to “science”?

The list of ways “science” has improved out lives is much longer than you could compile in a week. But you are ready to reject “science” because you can find some instances where the predictions were wrong? What (or who) does a better job of predicting the future. Answer: no one and nothing. Making accurate predictions is a rare accomplishment. Even even though extrapolating from data and trends is often inaccurate, it is better than ignoring data and trends. There is absolutely no question about this.

Perfectionism is rarely a beneficial attitude. It is an alienating to others, and it tends to make the perfectionist unhappy. I recommend that everyone use perfectionism sparingly, and to aim it only at oneself.
Old 02-28-2021, 03:17 PM

Science is a human endeavor. It isn’t perfect. And nothing and no one is 100% objective.

It has become fashionable to denigrate experts. But only academic experts it seems. Everyone seems ready to agree that an experienced tradesman is more likely to produce superior results. Why would experience and accumulated knowledge only be useful in the trades? And no one ever argues that a poorly executed construction project proves that experienced tradesmen don’t know anymore than a do it yourself guy. Nor does anyone argue that you can’t trust the opinions of a tradesman in his area of expertise merely because he holds a different political viewpoint than you.

It’s crazy. And inconsistent.

Last edited by Kerbie; 02-28-2021 at 05:46 PM. Reason: Quote removed and adjusted accordingly
Old 02-28-2021, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nama Ensou View Post
Exactly.

Any time someone mentions the science having been decided couldn't be making a less scientific statement.
New ice age coming was when? World starvation because the planet can't support more than 1 billion people?
Just 12 more years before it's too late?
I’m with you...

Anyway, she got her dogs back.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 02-28-2021, 03:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I’m with you...

Anyway, she got her dogs back.
Yes thankfully, but who said dogs are cheaper than kids ? looks to me like there's 2O years of upbringing expenses, two Ivy league doctorate educations plus ,,, wrapped up in them pooches

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic