The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-25-2021, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
Yeah, the more I see it, the more Im comin around to your way of thinking. Well, Ill see what the dealer offers. I’m thinking a 250 discount, and I would accept a store credit. Is that reasonable IYO?

The real issue here is Fender USA letting this out the door, and the dealer accepting it and passing it along. But as mentioned, this may be the new norm...
that is pretty crazy... if $250 settles the situation in your mind, then yea.

Minor cosmetic stuff is secondary, but that's pretty obvious.. how's it play / sound? any other issues to warrant an exchange?
Old 02-25-2021, 07:07 AM

That would bother me for sure.

It's quality control issues like this from Fender and Gibson, that have kept me from buying ANY new guitar in over 20 yrs.

I only buy used and I'm willing to accept any bruises and scars on the instrument, because I use any blemishes, scratches,or dents in negotiating the selling price.

I also never have to worry about any future scratches and dent on a used guitar, because most already have them.
'81 Martin 7-28 7/8 D-28
'03 Taylor Jumbo Custom
'04 Ramirez 1-E Classical
'09 Breedlove Roots OM/SR acoustic/electric
‘15 Martin Centennial DC - 28E
Old 02-25-2021, 09:23 AM

Quote:
How much would it bother you? I sent pics to the dealer, and will see what they offer to make it right. Im not bothered enough to return (shipping hassle) and demand a refund, but dont feel like I got a factory first quality. Would a $200 discount suffice?
Please do post the final resolution, I'm genuinely curious.
Old 02-25-2021, 09:45 AM

I'm surprised they would have let that one out of the factory, that is pretty shoddy.

Is the body actually torrified? Because as mentioned that could have something to do with it.
Old 02-25-2021, 10:41 AM
Charter Member

Okay, heres the outcome. N’Stuff music called this morning before they opened, and first thing he said was they want me happy, and will exchange, refund, or whatever I prefer. Then he told me he spoke with fender last night. They told him to look at the other roasted pine bodies in their shop, and sure enough, they were all the same, some more, some less. So he assured me it was normal variations. He still offered to take it back, but I am happily keeping her.

At some point inthe future, after the newness wears off, I may strip the urethane and spray laquer on. I will say this Pro II has a really nice neck, and the finish on the back of the neck is amazingly smooth. Wont be changing that! The bridge plate is an improvement, with shallower edges and smoothed edges. The brass saddles are nice and hefty. Whatever the contributions of all those elements, it has great tele sounds, and is very comfortable to play.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7

Last edited by dnf777; 02-25-2021 at 12:08 PM.
Old 02-25-2021, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Okay, heres the outcome. N’Stuff music called this morning before they opened, and first thing he said was they want me happy, and will exchange, refund, or whatever I prefer. Then he told me he spoke with fender last night. They told him to look at the other roasted pine bodies in their shop, and sure enough, they were all the same, some more, some less. So he assured me it was normal variations. He still offered to take it back, but I am happily keeping her.

At some point inthe future, after the newness wears off, I may strip the urethane and spray laquer on. I will say this Pro II has a really nice neck, and the finish on the back of the neck is amazingly smooth. Wont be changing that! The bridge plate is an improvement, with shallower edges and smoothed edges. The brass saddles are nice and hefty. Whatever the contributions of all those elements, it has great tele sounds, and is very comfortable to play.
Thanks for the update, Dave. Sorry to hear about your experience but kudos to the retailer for their efforts. Sounds like you have an amazing guitar, a keeper. The stain is worth keeping such a great guitar.
Old 02-25-2021, 05:25 PM

I could see the roasting process causing that especially on the open grain. I once finished a roasted ash body and it splotched a little bit like that around the edges. It was still beautiful - as is yours. Enjoy!

Last edited by TiffanyGuitar; 02-26-2021 at 06:22 AM.
Old 02-26-2021, 01:49 AM

Quote:

Sounds like you have convinced yourself. What you think is all that matters. Your money and your guitar. All the best. I’m sure it sounds amazing, which clearly is the most important aspect of things at the end of the day.
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 02-26-2021, 04:58 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for all the comments. Im still not convinced which camp Im in...the acceptable roasting artifact...or poor QC and finishing technique? In any case, the excellent customer service goes a long way to make up for either. He actually took the effort to photograph several other guitars and email me (teles and strate) so whatever the cause,it seems to be part of the roasted pine finish. Like I told him, I got this one to play, not enter in beauty contests, so Im happy to close this chapter. She plays beautifully, now if only I could...
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 03-05-2021, 01:02 PM

Fender QC does seem to be hit and miss. I can play two of the same guitars and they can be very different. I recently played a $2k Ultra Tele and the fretwork was some of the worst I've ever seen. But if you find a good one, they're awesome.
Old 03-05-2021, 05:13 PM

It’s clear from the way that you tell the story that you wanted to keep it. Which, given the non-trivial cosmetic issue, suggests that it’s a really fine guitar. Congrats on landing it!
Martin D12X1AE
LaPatrie CW Concert
Old 03-05-2021, 06:28 PM

I walked away from Fender USA in 1981. I was shopping around at the time and ran across a couple of their 1980 anniversary strats. They were pathetic.

Almost 20 years later to the day, okay maybe not even close to the day, but 20 years later I ran across some AVRIs that were absolutely SUPERB! That made me look around. I'm still a G&L guy, but I can definitely find nice Fenders around. Not as consistent as G&L or PRS, or Godin for that matter in my experience. But there are really nice mainstream USA ones.
Old 03-06-2021, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Thanks for all the comments. Im still not convinced which camp Im in...the acceptable roasting artifact...or poor QC and finishing technique? In any case, the excellent customer service goes a long way to make up for either. He actually took the effort to photograph several other guitars and email me (teles and strate) so whatever the cause,it seems to be part of the roasted pine finish. Like I told him, I got this one to play, not enter in beauty contests, so Im happy to close this chapter. She plays beautifully, now if only I could...
Hey Dave, sounds like you have a great playing Fender. Kudos to the retailer for putting your mind at ease.
Old 03-06-2021, 06:09 PM

I’d expect 30% off sticker and I’d buy it. Other wise send it back either via the shop are the fender warranty. I’ve had zero hassle much much smaller issues with Gibson.

Sad that it even left the factory like that, but if you send it back someone will be happy to take the demo price so that’s honestly the way to go.
Old 03-11-2021, 11:21 AM

Quote:
How much would it bother you? I sent pics to the dealer, and will see what they offer to make it right. Im not bothered enough to return (shipping hassle) and demand a refund, but dont feel like I got a factory first quality. Would a $200 discount suffice?
The dealer should offer to exchange it, but he shouldn't suffer a loss. After all, he did nothing wrong.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars