The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-21-2018, 02:51 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Baggs Align Series Equalizer?

Very interested in comments on this unit. I use a Martin OM-28, Eastman AC-422ce and a Martin D-35 Seth Avett, all with K&K pick-ups. While I normally use my Carvin AG-300 (which I love!) for gigging, I recently bought a Bose S1 and no matter which setting I use I've been dogged by feedback in the bass end, even with the treble setting on the amp fully on high and bass end set all the way low. I also use a Red Eye pre-amp, which improves the sound and negates the bass end muddiness somewhat but if I go anywhere near middle level volume or above feedback happens in the bass end. So, I'm thinking that a decent equalizer - one designed for use with acoustic guitar - may be the answer. I love the small size of the Bose and ease of carrying but need a solution! FWIW, I set up the S1 to my side, not behind me as I need to hear it. I play many different size rooms and venues. Thanks!
Old 08-21-2018, 06:45 AM

I am running an LR Baggs Align EQ pedal in the effects loop of my Tonedexter preamp. The Align is very clean and produces that last bit of polish I was hoping for.
Old 08-21-2018, 07:45 AM

Should be more than enough to do the job. If you look at the DI portion of that pedal series as well, it may be the one that has the notch filter and High Pass Filter but those are two very undervalued tools that an acoustic player should have at their disposal.
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful
Old 08-21-2018, 08:22 PM
Charter Member

I use one with my D18 equipped with an M80 into a Loudbox and I really like how the the symphony of features work to produce a smoother, balanced amplified sound...you can see my demo and settings in my thread I posted awhile back. https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=517255
Old 08-21-2018, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capefisherman View Post
I love the small size of the Bose and ease of carrying but need a solution! FWIW, I set up the S1 to my side, not behind me as I need to hear it. I play many different size rooms and venues. Thanks!
Fixed EQ points don't do it for me, here's your solution, with a more surgical EQ ... https://empresseffects.com/products/paraeq
Old 08-23-2018, 11:47 AM

I've never tried the Align, but I really like the Wampler EQuator in the loop of my ToneDexter.
Old 08-23-2018, 12:15 PM

One of the things I like about the Align EQ is the size of the six EQ knobs (and the HPF, phase and gain). They're quite small and a little stiff and tend not to get changed during repeated transport and setup.
Old 09-03-2018, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joafink2 View Post
I've never tried the Align, but I really like the Wampler EQuator in the loop of my ToneDexter.
I thought I knew of all the parametric EQs out there but this one slipped under my radar. I like the form factor on it, it's very clearly laid out! I may have to give one a try. Thanks for posting!
Old 09-04-2018, 11:20 AM
Charter Member

The combination of phase switch, Notch filter and EQ on the Align should give you a TON of options to address your issue, in the smallest possible pedal footprint I've seen. It's designed for acoustic guitar. I would start there for sure.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 09-13-2018, 11:26 PM

Align EQ pedal owners - are you using just a 9v battery or some kind of power plug?

The manual doesn't give a part number for a power supply.

BluesKing777.
Old 09-24-2018, 07:59 PM

I didn't find that the Align did much to improve my sound. It did give me a nice feedback reduction tool. I often need two "notch" two frequencies, and used my Fishman SA330X notch and the Align. I think the Align, like any EQ, can help you sound better, but the improvements in sound, to me, were minimal.

I do use a combination of the Boss GE-7 (graphic) and the Wampler EQuator (semi-parametric). The two of these together are quite powerful. I like the Wampler EQ because of its fixed Q values (one pretty wide, and the other narrower). It's much simpler to use, and together with the Boss GE-7, can really sound good. And you can learn to dial in your sound pretty quickly with a little practice. It ain't exactly cheap, but it's new, and used ones will start showing up here and there pretty soon.

Play on.
Old 09-24-2018, 09:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesKing777 View Post
Align EQ pedal owners - are you using just a 9v battery or some kind of power plug?

The manual doesn't give a part number for a power supply.

BluesKing777.
it can use any standard power supply, 9 volt, negative tip, like a 1-spot
Old 09-25-2018, 12:19 AM
Charter Member

I expect to have a personal report sometime soon. I love the tone and clarity of the Red-Eye, so I just picked up up for a new, smaller pedal board. But as one poster commented, I need phase switch and Notch filter. So I also picked up a Baggs Align EQ.

Was thinking about a Tonedexter but then I need a bigger board due to pedal sizes and real estate. I need my looper and Harmony pedals in the bottom row ...and my clean boost. So trying to organize methodically so I don't hit the wrong foot switches or feel like a tap dancer. LOL

Here is the first draft of possible layout. (But I am considering a Share GLXD Wireless. In which case I could lose the Tuner since the Share receiver has a Tuner/mute switch built in)

Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 04-27-2021, 08:41 AM

Anyone else still using this?
Old 04-27-2021, 12:22 PM

Just got one yesterday. I'm trying the Align Session in front of it doing preliminary compression and tone shaping, and using the EQ primarily for the HPF and fine-tuning (taming of some other low and mid freqs, and a slight boost on the very high end).

So far, I think I like the EQ's unique selection of frequencies that can be controlled, but I haven't used it (or other EQs with more than 3 bands) enough to know how it compares to other options.
"Acoustic" Setup: Fender Acoustasonic Jazzmaster (USA), Fishman Loudbox Artist, Source Audio EQ2, LR Baggs Align Session, Wampler Ego, T-Rex Moller 2, Boss DD-500/RV-500/MD-500, EHX 1440, Matthews Effects Futurist
Other Gear: Taylor 314ce, Les Paul Classic, PRS S2 Mira, Telecaster (Nashville Deluxe), Ovation Celebrity, Martin Backpacker, BeatBuddy, TC Electronics Duplicator, Shure BETA 87A

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification