The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 03-01-2021, 10:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJoker View Post
Related, I've heard the comment that when hiring an engineer, be careful that you don't accidentally hire an engineer.

(I'm an enginerd so I found this pretty funny...)
Maybe this ^^^ is worth a new thread. I have hired a lot of engineers over a 50-year career and I am not sure what this means. I always made sure I hired the best engineers I could find, and I was pretty successful with the people I hired.

- Glenn
Old 03-01-2021, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Na it's not really "deep" at all, and also cannot be accurately or conveniently dismissed as simply a "rabbit hole" as in the Lewis Carrol "alternate" reality.

Because there is no "alternate" in applying the common sense observation of the vast difference between what the normal capability of human (all humans ) sensory perception allow us to "see, feel, smell, and hear" in our world ,,, and what is actually going on in the sub sensory sub atomic level , which is in fact the fundamental reality of the world around us. Yet is vastly different than what we perceive.
All one need do is look through a microscope or a telescope to begin
to understand that difference, and that concept.

Now I do understand it is not comfortable for many, to actually look at this concept of difference objectively, and acknowledge, what that "difference" might ultimately entail . Because in doing so the inevitable logical conclusion reasoned out, may very well mean that besides our sensory perceptions, ( being to some extent part illusion) , that our mental perceptions, about the world around us, (that we have convinced ourselves are just "realistic" or "reality based") in fact may not completely align with actual reality either
Ok, I you’re the authority.
You always have all the answers and tell me and others what we do cannot be this or that, either directly or implied.
Thanks for helping us all out.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 03-01-2021, 10:30 AM

I think it suffices to say that lack of common sense isn't a lack of intelligence. At least that's what I try to tell myself when I watch the news.

If anything, I think there's a Gaussian effect of group intelligence where interplay and collaboration makes for a bigger contribution. OTOH stupidity also seems to be highly contagious and should thus be labeled a pandemic.
Old 03-01-2021, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Na it's not really "deep" at all, and also cannot be accurately or conveniently dismissed as simply a "rabbit hole" as in the Lewis Carrol "alternate" reality.

Because there is no "alternate" in applying the common sense observation of the vast difference between what the normal capability of human (all humans ) sensory perception allow us to "see, feel, smell, and hear" in our world ,,, and what is actually going on in the sub sensory sub atomic level , which is in fact the fundamental reality of the world around us. Yet is vastly different than what we perceive.
All one need do is look through a microscope or a telescope to begin
to understand that difference, and that concept.

Now I do understand it is not comfortable for many, to actually look at this concept of difference objectively, and acknowledge, what that "difference" might ultimately entail . Because in doing so the inevitable logical conclusion reasoned out, may very well mean that besides our sensory perceptions, ( being to some extent part illusion) , that our mental perceptions, about the world around us, (that we have convinced ourselves are just "realistic" or "reality based") in fact may not completely align with actual reality either
Quantum physics suggests that distinguishing between an objective fundamental reality distinct from perception (through experimentation and observation) may not be possible.

That in fact "reality" is a sea of probabilities. The implication being that human perceptions are not misaligned with reality but in fact the nature of reality is dependent on perception through experimentation and observation by sentient beings. Physics has wrestled with these ideas since the double slit experiment.

There may be the possibility of many Lewis Carol alternate rabbit holes and we (as observers) decide which ones exist.

There are of course objections, primarily that observation is done through the tools of classical physics applied to quantum phenomena and that there is a possibly deeper reality that is beyond us.
Old 03-01-2021, 10:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
Ok, I you’re the authority.
You always have all the answers and tell me and others what we do cannot be this or that, either directly or implied.
Thanks for helping us all out.
Do I detect just a note of sarcasm ?
Where exactly did I tell you directly or imply what you do cannot be this or that ? I don't know what you do I can only respond to what you write
I simply do not agree that the subject is all that deep or a rabbit hole . Do my observations disagreeing with your observations make me an authority ? Or am I misreading the sarcasm and you are actually giving me a complement ?

I am a career carpenter, so I do know the subject is not all that deep or difficult to understand on the surface
Yes I do have a few observations, a few thoughts on those observations, and answers as to why. Sorry if that makes you uncomfortable

I know that personally the journey from where I was, too where I am, began some 25 years ago when I finally did entertain the concept that our perceptions are not always as cut and dry as we might think. And I know that it was not always comfortable to contemplate.

If that perspective and observation questions your perspective, maybe that is a good thing ? Or maybe not . If that helps great, if not, that's Ok.. If you are just being sarcastic well that's your choice and your gig, play on .

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 03-01-2021, 11:12 AM
Charter Member

Its all about Potty training. IF parents screw that up and continue to be "Snow Plow Parents" then the child will never learn to do for them selves.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 03-01-2021, 11:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silurian View Post
Quantum physics suggests that distinguishing between an objective fundamental reality distinct from perception (through experimentation and observation) may not be possible.

That in fact "reality" is a sea of probabilities. The implication being that human perceptions are not misaligned with reality but in fact the nature of reality is dependent on perception through experimentation and observation by sentient beings. Physics has wrestled with these ideas since the double slit experiment.

There may be the possibility of many Lewis Carol alternate rabbit holes and we (as observers) decide which ones exist.

There are of course objections, primarily that observation is done through the tools of classical physics applied to quantum phenomena and that there is a possibly deeper reality that is beyond us.
Interesting, it does seem we are getting deeper Being a carpenter by trade physics is more a casual interest. But I do tend to grasp the general notion of what you are saying. Where it seems your are looking at the term rabbit hole/s as inclusive possibility I was responding to my belief of it being used as dismissive, but I have been wrong before

That said then in broad and simplistic terms, perhaps the phrase " Change your perspective, and you change your reality " may a bit more applicable than just New Age, feel good rhetoric ???

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Old 03-01-2021, 11:21 AM
Charter Member

We've all done silly goofy things in our lives....

That why Inspector Clousseau is so hilarious!
Old 03-01-2021, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbroady View Post
Its all about Potty training. IF parents screw that up and continue to be "Snow Plow Parents" then the child will never learn to do for them selves.
Careful there. Potty training boys is typically a "hit or miss" affair that can have unsettling impacts later in life.
Old 03-01-2021, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Interesting, it does seem we are getting deeper Being a carpenter by trade physics is more a casual interest. But I do tend to grasp the general notion of what you are saying. Where it seems your are looking at the term rabbit hole/s as inclusive possibility I was responding to my belief of it being used as dismissive, but I have been wrong before

That said then in broad and simplistic terms, perhaps the phrase " Change your perspective, and you change your reality " may a bit more applicable than just New Age, feel good rhetoric ???
I got your dismissive rabbit hole. I just like the idea of a multiplicity of Lewis Carol universes.

Quantum physics is very much a casual interest for me also. Most of the time it makes my brain hurt, but then Richard Feynman famously said "nobody understands quantum mechanics."
Old 03-01-2021, 11:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silurian View Post
I got your dismissive rabbit hole. I just like the idea of a multiplicity of Lewis Carol universes.

You, me, the Jefferson Airplane, and Elephant Revival .....

Check out the alternate universe of a Psychedelic Sting Band

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 03-01-2021, 11:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Maybe this ^^^ is worth a new thread. I have hired a lot of engineers over a 50-year career and I am not sure what this means. I always made sure I hired the best engineers I could find, and I was pretty successful with the people I hired.

- Glenn
I do a lot of advising and teaching.

Over the years, and paralleling the tradeskill workforce shortage that is the center of national attention, I've seen a terrible erosion of engineering.

Every kid that is good at calculus is told "go be an engineer" and these kids are becoming graduates who can solve differential equations but don't know what the pointy end of a screwdriver is for.

Telling a kid to become an engineer because they are good at math is like telling someone to become a surgeon because they are good at sewing.

It's one tool they use. A mathematician is not an engineer. And the parents, teachers and guidance counselors who don't understand anything about the subject are guiding these kids.

Chris Rock said:

"Stop tellin' your kids they can do anything they want. How about tellin' them they can do anything they're good at, IF they're hiring"

000-15 / GC7 / GA3-12 / SB2-C / SB2-Cp / AVC-11MHx / AC-240
Old 03-01-2021, 12:27 PM
Charter Member

Default Shallow End of the gene pool!

This thread reminds me of this song :

https://youtu.be/Cplrc2Z2FiE

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic