The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-11-2021, 07:47 PM

I am trying to stay away from thinking about other guitars...but I did see a post about the new Harmony Comet. Thought it looked pretty neat. Doubt I would get one, I am pretty covered with electrics.
Old 02-12-2021, 01:32 AM
Charter Member

As mentioned above, a Mex tele is a great choice and won’t break the bank...I am a big Fano fan and the SP6 Standard (USA) is a bit more but gives you kind of a tele / LP hybrid....I love mine and it’s super versatile....the P90 in the neck is killer....

Electrics
Fender / Fender Amps * TMG

Favorite Gin - Citadelle
Favorite Bourbon - Woodford Reserve Double Oaked

Favorite Grape - Nebbiolo
Old 02-12-2021, 07:12 PM

I'm leaning towards Fender/Squier Strat territory. Still considering Teles but from video reviews it's a bit too twangy. I like quack better.

For those who own Affiinity and Bullet Squier strats, have you upgraded the pickups? What are your experiences with these lines?

What about flying with them? I heard people just remove the neck and carry it on rather then checking them in. Is it as easy as just removing the screws and putting it back on?
Old 02-12-2021, 10:53 PM

I found this last night and I’m all stupid for the look:
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...metal-metallic
Old 02-13-2021, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatamoto View Post
I'm leaning towards Fender/Squier Strat territory. Still considering Teles but from video reviews it's a bit too twangy. I like quack better.

For those who own Affiinity and Bullet Squier strats, have you upgraded the pickups? What are your experiences with these lines?

What about flying with them? I heard people just remove the neck and carry it on rather then checking them in. Is it as easy as just removing the screws and putting it back on?
As to upgrading the pickups, depends on what sound you like/are aiming for. I don't have personal experience with the current Affinity/Bullet lines. As a general observation I've found that it seems more difficult to create an sound that interests me with many inexpensive Asian import humbucker pickups.

I used to travel with a inexpensive Fender-style guitar using the tactic you mention. I'd slack the strings some and then I'd put a cheap capo* on the neck to hold the slacked strings in alignment before unscrewing the neck. It'd fit in a regular suitcase with clothes above and below the and around the neck for padding. Takes only a few minutes and stubby screwdriver to reassemble. Eventually you'd wear out the screw threads (probably could do the matchstick, wood glue "rejuvenation" if that happens) but there used to be metal sockets and actual bolts sold to make the necks actually "bolt-on" attachments for someone who planned to do this over and over.

I did this after reading that Bill Kirchen (a great Tele player) did this for travel.

*I used one on of those old Dunlop ones that uses a nylon strap and a lever that pressed down flush, but even the even older elastic capos would work too I'd think.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 02-13-2021, 02:00 PM

im not fond of les paul humbucker styles or even the 339 stuff, a nice tele would be good, i already had my share of 3 coil strats, i would rather have a HSS pacifica then a squier, matter of fact im on a wait list for one, only squier i currently have is vintage modified 51, its one of the ones ill keep, it has a split coil, but in single coil it sounds a bit thin or something, just remember this only 1/2 the sound your after, the right amp makes a difference, amp recommendations kind of suck anymore, what works for someone else might not work for you
Fender Strat Partscaster
Ibanez SR400 EQM bass
Old 02-13-2021, 04:45 PM
Charter Member

Fender Telecaster. American, Mexico, or Indonesia will play and play well. Remember the sound comes from the player and the telecaster.
Old 02-13-2021, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
As to upgrading the pickups, depends on what sound you like/are aiming for. I don't have personal experience with the current Affinity/Bullet lines. As a general observation I've found that it seems more difficult to create an sound that interests me with many inexpensive Asian import humbucker pickups.

I used to travel with a inexpensive Fender-style guitar using the tactic you mention. I'd slack the strings some and then I'd put a cheap capo* on the neck to hold the slacked strings in alignment before unscrewing the neck. It'd fit in a regular suitcase with clothes above and below the and around the neck for padding. Takes only a few minutes and stubby screwdriver to reassemble. Eventually you'd wear out the screw threads (probably could do the matchstick, wood glue "rejuvenation" if that happens) but there used to be metal sockets and actual bolts sold to make the necks actually "bolt-on" attachments for someone who planned to do this over and over.

I did this after reading that Bill Kirchen (a great Tele player) did this for travel.

*I used one on of those old Dunlop ones that uses a nylon strap and a lever that pressed down flush, but even the even older elastic capos would work too I'd think.

Sounds good. It would just be a one time thing, in case I travel and end up buying a Squier model too. I'd rather just do this method rather than buying a hardshell case.
Old 02-14-2021, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeX View Post
This is kind of a mixed message. How can you be that pleased with the guitar if you wish you had purchased two other guitars instead? Does not compute.

Regardless of what I paid for it, I'd unload the LP and get the two guitars I wish I had purchased in the first place.

I went through the same thing about eight years ago and ended up with an ES335 and Tele. Still own and love them for the music I play and have never looked back.
I really wanted one at that time. Then over the years, my playing style changed so now I want a single coil to add to my collection. The reason I said that I'm happy with it is because it still works for the style I'm playing due to its pickups.... it's not a very dark sounding guitar, but a single coil would just be a tad better.

If I unload my LP then I know I'd want it back eventually.

Yep, I have a mild case of GAS.
Old 02-14-2021, 07:38 AM

I'd look at G&L. Leo's last iteration on a Fender guitar. I think you'd like what they have to offer...
Old 02-14-2021, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatamoto View Post
I currently only own one. A 2014 Gibson Les Paul Traditional. Sometimes I wish I've settled for an ES-339 instead,or a strat. I bought it because I originally wanted to play rock on it but it quickly changed to neo soul, and fusion. I play some rock/ blues from time to time like Jimi Hendrix.

I kinda went overboard price wise so I've learned my lesson. I really like the guitar though and I'm lucky its not a very dark sounding guitar so I'm still pleased at how it turned out.

Sometimes I yearn for a single coil, an HSS, or a split coil. I find myself playing the neck pickup on my current one a lot on a clean setting, sometimes the middle position but rarely the bridge pickup. I find it too harsh. I'm looking for something that does great for clean settings and hybrid pick and fingerpicking. Something versatile with good clarity is key for me. I really like the sound of a strat or a semi hollow single coil especially when the tone is set to a fatter one. It has the "airy" sound that I'm really digging.

Price wise somewhere in between $200-$800 range. I can go up more if it's really good but not doing close to 2k. I can always opt for the cheaper one and upgrade the pickups.

So far heres the list I have
1. Fender/Squier Strat
2. D'Angelico Bedford Premier
3. Ibanez AZ Strat--its expensive though so this is absolute max for me. The versatility as advertised got my attention.
4. D'Angelico semi hollow

Any other brands should I look into or you recommend?
You could consider a B&G Little Sister Crossroads...

More than you are targeting, but 75% lower than your "Can't spend that much" limit.

https://thenorthamericanguitar.com/p...-tobacco-burst
Old 02-15-2021, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeX View Post
This is kind of a mixed message. How can you be that pleased with the guitar if you wish you had purchased two other guitars instead? Does not compute.
It’s possible to like one thing a lot, but like some other thing even more. And it’s possible to like what you have and yet yearn for something else you don’t have (a roomful of divorce lawyers are nodding their heads right now).

I agree with the consensus that a Mexican or used American Strat or Tele is the answer. Whether Strat or Tele is a personal thing. They have overlapping but distinct tonal personalities. I love both, but only own a Strat.
Martin D12X1AE
LaPatrie CW Concert
Old 02-15-2021, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
You could consider a B&G Little Sister Crossroads...

More than you are targeting, but 75% lower than your "Can't spend that much" limit.

https://thenorthamericanguitar.com/p...-tobacco-burst
Nice little guitars - I especially like the vibe of the non-cut model, and if the neck thicknesses were .79/.86 rather than .89/.96 I'd probably own one...
Old 02-22-2021, 07:10 AM

My question is what exactly do you want this guitar to sound like.
There are so many pick up variations in Strats and Teles, it would be impossible to recommend any specific one of each, but that’s the beauty of either.
If you like “airy but fat” buy a semi-solid anything with a Filtertron style pickup.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

Last edited by rokdog49; 02-22-2021 at 07:41 AM.
Old 02-22-2021, 10:31 PM

So I pretty much narrowed it down to a Strat. I probably wasn't describing the sound correctly. After doing more research, the "airy" sound that I was referring to is actually the "quack" from the strat. On the demo's I've seen, when they switch to the combined neck and middle positions on a strat, it has this big glassy, almost quacky hollow like tone that has a lot of presence. Whereas a Tele would be focused, articulate, powerful and bright. I hope that makes sense.

Based on my findings:

1. Telecasters can do it all. Switch to the neck pickup, bring down the tone volume and you can play Jazz. Switch to the bridge go overdrive, you can play heavy rock

2. Tele's also have nice well rounded cleans. They have more of that "twang" sound which I can hear now.

3. Strat's are great for hollow-like glassy cleans (this is the tone I'm looking for and I don't think a Tele can replicate that, at least not in the demo's I've seen). It's not as articulate and in your face as a Tele but I'm okay with that.

4. The in between position (I think 2 & 4?) on a Strat is what really does it for me. It's the Jimi Hendrix sound that I really like, and my playing is heavily influenced in that style.

So in conclusion, If I'm looking for pure versatility, then get a Tele. However a Strat is also extremely versatile but it just won't be as powerful as it's counterpart. I don't mind, I have my LP for that and if I have a Strat go with it, I think I'm set.

I'm looking for a guitar that I will play mainly clean and I think a Strat is perfect. Its tone makes my head turn. Plus having a trem system would be great.

While I still like the "airy" semi-hollow tone....well, that's another story and it's not really what I'm looking for right now.

I have yet to try Fenders and Squiers (hopefully this weekend), but last week, I had my hands on a Vintage62 Telecaster. They didn't have the Strat in the shop but I can order it online (Vintage is the brand). For the price I thought they were great, and felt like a high quality guitar, but would like to hear anyone's thoughts, opinions/experiences on the brand?

This is their website
https://vintageguitarsus.com/electri...tails/#V6MRTOP

Right now, it's between Vintage vs Squier Classic Vibe 60's.

I'll consider Fender's Player series line, but it might be too much for me right now...I'll have to try it first and go from there. Going to take my time here before jumping into conclusions and if I have to wait because the guitar goes out stock, so be it. At least that gives me more time to save

Last edited by hatamoto; 02-22-2021 at 10:39 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars