The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-09-2021, 05:17 PM

Default Marshall Origin 20H

Any love for the Marshall Origin 20H. I am looking for a nice practice amp for clean to light crunch.
Old 02-09-2021, 09:08 PM

The Origin 20 will cover those nicely, as well as small- to medium-size gigs...
Old 02-10-2021, 10:12 AM

Thx Steve,
Old 02-11-2021, 05:21 AM
Charter Member

I looked at one, but ended up going with their Code 25 instead. Its not a tube amp, but for just practice, its a lot of fun to scroll through the hundred or so famous pre-set tones. Its all controllable through any iPad or phone, and it really works.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 02-11-2021, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
I looked at one, but ended up going with their Code 25 instead. Its not a tube amp, but for just practice, its a lot of fun to scroll through the hundred or so famous pre-set tones. Its all controllable through any iPad or phone, and it really works.
I have the Code 50, it is a cool lil practice amp.

I also have one of the first generation Mustang IIIs. Also cool. They sound quite different, (which one would expect given the history right?)

Fuse controls these, cool app but has to run via PC/USB
Old 02-11-2021, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
I have the Code 50, it is a cool lil practice amp.

I also have one of the first generation Mustang IIIs. Also cool. They sound quite different, (which one would expect given the history right?)

Fuse controls these, cool app but has to run via PC/USB
I had the Origin 20H when it first came out but I returned it because it was defective. It would only talk to one speaker cab at a time so it limited me to a half-stack. I also had a Marshall solid state amp (pre Code Series) but wasn’t overly impressed with the sound of it.

If you’re considering a Fender, look at the GT. Fender dropped support of Fuse last year. The GT uses different software and, I believe, can be controlled from a phone or tablet.

"Always try to be nice, but never fail to be kind." Twelfth Doctor
Old 02-11-2021, 03:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post

If you’re considering a Fender, look at the GT. Fender dropped support of Fuse last year. The GT uses different software and, I believe, can be controlled from a phone or tablet.
I had an early mustang, and could not get it to work. Ended up trading it for the code 25, which was very user friendly. The fender required the user to establish a user account with fender, then nagged constantly about buying subscription services, etc... ive heard the GTs are better in that regard.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 02-12-2021, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
I had an early mustang, and could not get it to work. Ended up trading it for the code 25, which was very user friendly. The fender required the user to establish a user account with fender, then nagged constantly about buying subscription services, etc... ive heard the GTs are better in that regard.
Yeah, I sold my Mustang III because I spent more time playing with the settings than playing the guitar. I have a SuperChamp X2 now and I leave the settings alone. It uses Fuse also but it’s not a problem since I don’t fool with it all of the time.

And Fender doesn’t care about Fuse users any more so they don’t bug me about it.

"Always try to be nice, but never fail to be kind." Twelfth Doctor
Old 02-12-2021, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I sold my Mustang III because I spent more time playing with the settings than playing the guitar. I have a SuperChamp X2 now and I leave the settings alone. It uses Fuse also but it’s not a problem since I don’t fool with it all of the time.

And Fender doesn’t care about Fuse users any more so they don’t bug me about it.
I had a Fender Mustang II and a V. I also spent way too much time scrolling through weird presets. They also had a piercing harmonic associated with the B string that I could never dial out.

I pulled the trigger on a used Origin 50H to put on top of my VS412. Looking forward to more simple times ; )
Old 02-12-2021, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilca View Post
...I pulled the trigger on a used Origin 50H to put on top of my VS412. Looking forward to more simple times...
From one old-school guitar-cable-amp guy to another, good for you : plug in, turn some dials, and enjoy the ride...
Old 02-13-2021, 07:29 AM

Quote:
I had a Fender Mustang II and a V. I also spent way too much time scrolling through weird presets. They also had a piercing harmonic associated with the B string that I could never dial out.

I pulled the trigger on a used Origin 50H to put on top of my VS412. Looking forward to more simple times ;
)
Fantastic! Looking forward to your review. I too prefer a simpler amp these days. My JCM2000 I bought 17 years ago has too many buttons for me now.
Old 02-17-2021, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Fantastic! Looking forward to your review. I too prefer a simpler amp these days. My JCM2000 I bought 17 years ago has too many buttons for me now.
Got in the Origin and spent a couple hours dialing it in. Played a Telecaster, Les Paul clone, Loar LH350 arch top and a mandolin. The Loar really took to this amp, big bold sound. I am playing it on the lowest setting and it can be really loud. Still more fiddling to do.

This amp has no reverb, you have to use a pedal for reverb. So the effects loop needs to be used for effects.

BTW at idle this amp is dead quiet. That was also important to me. I play on the clean side and this amp works well there.

The Origin I got used did not have the updated output jack mod so only 2 of my 4 speakers are actually working. I had contacted Marshall about this and they provided a service center near me and said they would mod it on their nickel. I have always been impressed with Marshall's customer service.

Not sure this is the amp for me but not returning it yet since I don't know what else I would buy.

Last edited by neilca; 02-18-2021 at 08:50 AM.
Old 02-18-2021, 11:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Got in the Origin and spent a couple hours dialing it in.
The Origin I got used did not have the updated output jack mod so only 2 of my 4 speakers are actually working. I had contacted Marshall about this and they provided a service center near me and said they would mod it on their nickel. I have always been impressed with Marshall's customer service.
Wow, that is impressive! Clearly they went above and beyond to ensure a happy Marshall player!
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 02-25-2021, 06:35 AM

Quote:
I had the Origin 20H when it first came out but I returned it because it was defective. It would only talk to one speaker cab at a time so it limited me to a half-stack. I also had a Marshall solid state amp (pre Code Series) but wasn’t overly impressed with the sound of it.

Yea fuse was a problem for many, it depended on Silverlight which was deep sixed a long time ago. I think the GT uses WIFI and definitely some sort of smartphone tablet app. The Marshall uses their Gateway app, pretty stable, but has a few gui bugs that never got worked out. At times it was a PITA to get the amp to pair.

Anyways, I'm out of the modeling stuff as of Tuesday.

On a whim I went down to the store in town, hadn't been in for a while. I used to teach there, and pals with the owner and assistant mgr.

One thing leads to another, and I wound up trading the code and the mustang for a DSL40 and a bit o cash

The DSL is a great amp. The classic channel sounds very much like my other Marshall (JTM602x12which is a reissue kind of setup), but it goes beyond that with the ultra channel. The only pedal I am using at the moment is a Line 6 delay in the fx loop, other than that plugging straight in. It rips!

Not missing all the edit features,, settings to save, or PCs / Smartphones to hook up to, and it kind of makes the code sound like a toy in retrospect.

Last edited by rmp; 02-25-2021 at 06:43 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars