The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-21-2019, 11:14 AM

I called Gibson. They basically said that the coated strings replaced the Masterbuilts. $12.99 a set. I've been getting the Masterbuilts for $7. I bought 5 more sets, but have other sets that I like as much. Too bad. I don't think it will be as easy to move Masterbuilt fans to their coated strings at that price point where there are so many other options out there.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 07-21-2019, 05:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindibona1 View Post
I called Gibson. They basically said that the coated strings replaced the Masterbuilts. $12.99 a set. I've been getting the Masterbuilts for $7. I bought 5 more sets, but have other sets that I like as much. Too bad. I don't think it will be as easy to move Masterbuilt fans to their coated strings at that price point where there are so many other options out there.
Am I outta line to ask where you’re finding them for that price? $9.99 everywhere except the 80/20’s
Larrivee P03 sitka/hog,simple 6 OM & OM 09
Eastman E100ss-sb
Gibson J185 & 2016 J35
Fender player plus telecaster & Mustang P90
Gretsch MIK 5622T
Old 07-21-2019, 06:51 PM

Sad to hear this... one of my go to choices for a J-45.
Im liking the D'addario NB lately though.
Old 07-21-2019, 07:00 PM

There’s another post that suggests that the big guitar companies might actually read AGF posts. They may read them but they don’t listen. Gibson uncoated strings have gotten a lot of love in recent posts here. Ironic that they are discontinuing them now.
Old 07-21-2019, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy Slaw View Post
Did you hear back ?

When I was on the road with Double Aught (playing electrics) I bought several boxes ( 10/12 can't remember) of Ernie Ball strings, and they will corrode even if you don't open them. I quit stocking up after that, I mean I'll have several sets on hand, but not several dozen sets anymore.

I just checked the Gibson site and the Masterbuilts are not there.
No I didn't hear back.
Apparently, since Vindibona1 spoke with Gibson, sadly, it's true.
The only thing that makes sense here is that the strings just weren't selling in significant numbers and Gibson decided that coated strings are more profitable. Fewer S.K.U.'S equals less dollars in inventory. At the same time, how much can they actually save.
It might just be another ill-advised decision from a company that seems prone to making them. Who knows and as others have said, there are lots of choices.
The world will go on without Gibson uncoated strings.
I'll probably start buying Mangan's, Newtones and a couple others I like.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 07-22-2019, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
No I didn't hear back.
Apparently, since Vindibona1 spoke with Gibson, sadly, it's true.
The only thing that makes sense here is that the strings just weren't selling in significant numbers and Gibson decided that coated strings are more profitable. Fewer S.K.U.'S equals less dollars in inventory. At the same time, how much can they actually save.
It might just be another ill-advised decision from a company that seems prone to making them. Who knows and as others have said, there are lots of choices.
The world will go on without Gibson uncoated strings.
I'll probably start buying Mangan's, Newtones and a couple others I like.
This just in...
I spoke with a sales guy at Sweetwater about two hours ago.
They are unaware of Gibson discontinuing the uncoated strings. They do have significant inventory.
I was told they will check it out.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 07-22-2019, 01:41 PM
Charter Member

A bit of an aside, but does anyone know what strings come on a new Gibson acoustic? My new J-45 studio feels like it has uncoated strings, but the Gibson website only states that they are 12-53(?) but says nothing about 80/20 or PB. The walnut back and sides makes for a bright sounding guitar, so I am trying to decide which direction to go for replacements.
Old 07-22-2019, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backdoc View Post
A bit of an aside, but does anyone know what strings come on a new Gibson acoustic? My new J-45 studio feels like it has uncoated strings, but the Gibson website only states that they are 12-53(?) but says nothing about 80/20 or PB. The walnut back and sides makes for a bright sounding guitar, so I am trying to decide which direction to go for replacements.
Are or were they a bright gold color?
If so, they are 80-20 Uncoated Masterbuilts.
If they look more copper colored they are likely PB's.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 07-22-2019, 03:48 PM

Interesting. As the authorized dealers have to sell all their Gibsons with set up Gibson strings (for the authentic sound) I wonder if they now will have to use the coated strings or can make a choice. I assume that all Gibson acoustics have coated strings from the factory anyway?
Old 07-22-2019, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin666 View Post
Interesting. As the authorized dealers have to sell all their Gibsons with set up Gibson strings (for the authentic sound) I wonder if they now will have to use the coated strings or can make a choice. I assume that all Gibson acoustics have coated strings from the factory anyway?
They do now, but they didn't before.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 07-22-2019, 09:37 PM

Quote:

They are 80/20 master per Gibson
Old 07-23-2019, 07:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yes, they are bright gold color. Thanks for the answer. I think I'll try some PB's and see how that changes things.
Old 07-23-2019, 07:18 AM
Charter Member

I used to buy Gibson "L-5 nickel wound for my Archtops, they "disappeared" a few years ago. i switched to D'addario EJ22 - better, now using D'addario New Balance Nickel Bronze (or whatever) 12-56 on them - they sound/feel fine.
Old 07-23-2019, 08:22 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I remember reading not long ago, in a thread on this forum about who makes what strings, that Gibson strings were made by D'Addario albeit a different formula than D'Addario's own strings. D'Addario has recently beta tested a re-formulation of their coated strings and it seems that many people really liked them. So, maybe D'Addario re- formulated the Gibson coated strings as well and Gibson decided to just go with the those moving forward. Total speculation, of course.

Best,
Jayne
Old 07-23-2019, 09:22 AM
Charter Member

Thumbs up

I think coated strings are a great choice to put on a new guitar. You have no idea how long a guitar is going to hang in the showroom and if I had a nickel for every post that complains about all the dead strings in GC I'd be rich. I'd rather try a guitar with strings I didn't like, that felt fresh than dead strings I love. If you buy it you can put what you like on it.

MB were nice strings and it would be nice to see them reintroduced by someone else.
National Polychrome Tricone
National Model D Squareneck
Weber Gallatin A Mandolin

http://www.bandmix.com/jon-nilsen/
https://www.bandmix.com/limberlost/

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion