The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-31-2020, 05:44 PM

Thumbs up Masterbuilt Strings

I like them on my J35, but they are not really bright. I guess it all comes down to the sound that you are looking for. I use the lights and have for several years, but next time I change strings, I am going to try the Custom Light Martins, because I have them on another instrument and like the sound I am getting. If they don't sound good on the J35, they are cheap enough to try and discard.
Old 03-01-2021, 07:35 PM

I use Gibson MBuilt Premium PB 13 on my Gibson Southern Jumbo and they sound the best! I love them. Can't find any right now, but love them. I have tried the Gibson MBuilt Premiums made for the SJ200 that are exactly the same thing but with silk wrapped ends for the SJ200 Bridge and to me the silk steals a bit of the punch from them (and are more expensive) so I stick to Masterbuilt Premium PB 12 or 13. Good luck!

Gibson "Custom Late 1950's Reissue Southern Jumbo Triburst"
Taylor 314CE (Built by Ren Ferguson)
Mystery Resonator
Fender Stratocaster
Old 03-01-2021, 10:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarFundi View Post
I use Gibson MBuilt Premium PB 13 on my Gibson Southern Jumbo and they sound the best! I love them. Can't find any right now, but love them. I have tried the Gibson MBuilt Premiums made for the SJ200 that are exactly the same thing but with silk wrapped ends for the SJ200 Bridge and to me the silk steals a bit of the punch from them (and are more expensive) so I stick to Masterbuilt Premium PB 12 or 13. Good luck!
You might find them even more difficult to find b/c they've been discontinued. There is another thread out there, which explains they were made by GHS, so you might find a similar tone with one of their products.
Old 03-02-2021, 12:49 PM

Just because GHS makes them doesn’t mean they are necessarily the same as GHS brand strings. Very common for companies to outsource to other companies who have the tooling to do it. The alloy and other things probably vary.
Old 03-02-2021, 06:02 PM
Charter Member

Yes, that was discussed in one of the threads. GHS made the strings, but there were some unique differences, which is why I said similar and not exact. The 80/20 were thought to be pretty close to GHS Bright Bronze, and I think the standard MB were close to GHS PB. But the core vs. wrap ratios were slightly different, so they're not identical.
Old 03-03-2021, 05:25 AM
Charter Member

I play Rotosound's on everything I have. Nobody local sells them either. Get my strings now from Strings and Beyond. Just received a shipment. Gonna try the Jumbo King on my 000-15. Maybe that'll wake it up.
Old 03-03-2021, 06:07 AM

Zombie thread and the Masterbuilts are extinct.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 03-03-2021, 11:37 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pura Vida View Post
Yes, that was discussed in one of the threads. GHS made the strings, but there were some unique differences, which is why I said similar and not exact. The 80/20 were thought to be pretty close to GHS Bright Bronze, and I think the standard MB were close to GHS PB. But the core vs. wrap ratios were slightly different, so they're not identical.
Yes, my understanding as well. I have used both the now discontinued Gibson strings made by GHS and the available GHS strings and always preferred the sound and feel of the GHS. I believe that GHS came out with their Thin Core strings to be somewhat of a replacement for the Gibson Masterbuilt strings as that was one of the main differences between the two. GHS strings have a thicker core wire and a thinner wrap wire. I have not tried the Thin Cores so can't comment on how comparable they are to the now defunct Masterbuilts.

Best,
Jayne
Old 03-03-2021, 12:47 PM

Since the thread continues, I can tell you my friend at GHS told me the Masterbuilts were labeled as 12-53 but were really 12-54 ‘s.
The core wire on the Masterbuilts was zinc plated as well as being thinner in diameter. The wrap wire was heavier, obviously.
I’ve never tried the “Thin Cores”, but after my supply of Masterbuilts is depleted, I will.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion