The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 04-18-2017, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodbox View Post
To sing harmony to chitz and bil above,
it was a brother-in-law who introduced John Prines first album to me in about 1975.
But then, it was another brother-in-law who taught me how to fingerpick "Hello in There" about 5 yrs later.
Both were Viet Nam Veterans.
That is too cool a coincidence !
Old 04-18-2017, 12:07 PM
AGF Sponsor

Forgive me if I already posted this, but I love this clip so much. For those of you not familiar with Steve Goodman, he was JP's best friend and one of the best acoustic lead players of the last fifty years. Here's a clip of John and Steve on a duet for "Souvenirs."

As an extra bonus, if you watch through that clip it's followed by Steve doing a solo version of his wonderful song dedicated to his wife Nancy, "The Girl I Love."

Old 04-18-2017, 12:32 PM

There's few things better than seeing John Prine at the Armadillo World Headquarters in Austin, Texas. Sadly, the World Headquarters was torn down years ago, but I did see him there half a dozen times or more.

Much of his music is too close to home, I can't get through Sam Stone or Muhlenburg County.
et al
Old 04-18-2017, 01:13 PM

I've only seen John Prine live once in my life and that was April 12th, 2014. I've seen a lot of shows but it will go in my "top 5" list easily. It was incredible.
Old 04-18-2017, 02:11 PM

I only discovered Prine few months ago. I know, I know, but in my defence Prine isn't a household name in the UK. I actually discovered him through Show and Tell, here on the agf. A cover of Killin' The Blues led me to Prine's version and his own work.

Like many have said Sam Stone and Hello In There are amongst my favourites.
What astounds me about Hello in There is that it was written when Prine was only 25 or 26. At first I just assumed Prine had written it later in life. For a young man to paint such a vivid and moving picture of the lives of an older couple, their losses and loneliness is astonishing.
Old 04-18-2017, 02:42 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silurian View Post
I only discovered Prine few months ago. I know, I know, but in my defence Prine isn't a household name in the UK. I actually discovered him through Show and Tell, here on the agf. A cover of Killin' The Blues led me to Prine's version and his own work.

Like many have said Sam Stone and Hello In There are amongst my favourites.
What astounds me about Hello in There is that it was written when Prine was only 25 or 26. At first I just assumed Prine had written it later in life. For a young man to paint such a vivid and moving picture of the lives of an older couple, their losses and loneliness is astonishing.
Silurian, in fact John is on tour right now as I write this in the UK. I'm pasting the link to his tour schedule.

https://johnprine.com/tour/

Other folks: This tour schedule goes all the way through May, with many dates across the U.S. and several shows in Canada. He won't be touring much longer, so go see him if you can. My wife and I saw him last year and it was the best show I've ever seen. Played for two hours straight without a break. A crack band that has been with him fifteen years. There were young people sitting next to us with tears in their eyes, and so many people were seeing him for the first time (this was a double bill with Kristofferson, so most were there to see KK). Everyone was saying, "Who IS this guy?" in wonder and delight. It was a true clinic songwriting.

BTW, KK, who discovered John, was the opening act and JP was the headliner. What an evening.....

Scott Memmer
Old 04-18-2017, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
Silurian, in fact John is on tour right now as I write this in the UK. I'm pasting the link to his tour schedule.

Scott Memmer
Thanks for the link Scott. Unfortunately l'll be on vacation on those dates. I'll have to catch him next time around.
Old 04-18-2017, 02:59 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Thanks for the link Scott. Unfortunately l'll be on vacation on those dates. I'll have to catch him next time around.
His wife is Irish (actuallly FROM Ireland) so they usually travel there at least once a year. It seem it's usuallly late Spring/early summer, as he seems to always have takes over there around that time.

I hope you have a chance to see him some day.

In the Colonies over here I suppose the best words to describe would be "National Treasure."

sm
Old 04-18-2017, 03:09 PM

Quote:
His wife is Irish (actuallly FROM Ireland) so they usually travel there at least once a year. It seem it's usuallly late Spring/early summer, as he seems to always have takes over there around that time.

I hope you have a chance to see him some day.

In the Colonies over here I suppose the best words to describe would be "National Treasure."

sm
I'll keep an eye out for his next tour dates. Much appreciated Scott.
Old 04-18-2017, 03:39 PM

Quote:

+1 to that, Silurian
Old 04-18-2017, 03:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by auggie242 View Post
Even in a song that is wry or humorous, John Prine can throw in a line or two that is just resonates. My favorite example of this would be a couple from The Late John Garfield Blues;

Old man sleeps with his conscience at night,
While a young boy sleeps with his dreams.

I mean really, can you say more with fewer words?
This is the essence of John Prine for me.
He's no kind of singer, he's not much of a guitarist - and you could have said the same about my ultimate singer-songwriter hero Guy Clark, but it is JP's ability to say so much, tell a story, create a lasting impression, sad,telling, humourous - sometimes all three. BUT - using the simplest words, and sentence structures, and his chord progressions couldn't be more simple.

JP (for me) is very much the epitome of working class (blue collar?) observation, sensibilities and wisdom.

Last edited by Silly Moustache; 04-18-2017 at 04:05 PM.
Old 04-18-2017, 05:45 PM
AGF Sponsor

A lot of you may not know the story of how John got discovered. The short version is his best buddy Steve Goodman dragged Kris Kristofferson across Chicago at 2:00 in the morning to meet him at a club as it was closing.

KK helped John and Steve get their first record deal. To this day KK says he remembers the hairs standing up on his neck the first time he heard John's song. He also wrote the liner notes for JP's first album (the "hay bale") album, including the line, " "Twenty-four years old and writes like he's two-hundred and twenty."

Such a wonderful thread. Enjoying your posts so much.

keep 'em comin',
scott
Old 04-18-2017, 07:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Other folks: This tour schedule goes all the way through May, with many dates across the U.S. and several shows in Canada. He won't be touring much longer, so go see him if you can. My wife and I saw him last year and it was the best show I've ever seen. Played for two hours straight without a break. A crack band that has been with him fifteen years. There were young people sitting next to us with tears in their eyes, and so many people were seeing him for the first time (this was a double bill with Kristofferson, so most were there to see KK). Everyone was saying, "Who IS this guy?" in wonder and delight. It was a true clinic songwriting.

BTW, KK, who discovered John, was the opening act and JP was the headliner. What an evening.....

Scott Memmer
Oh yeah....we're gonna see him in Birmingham in December. And, his book is on its way to me, I'll have it in a few days.
Takamine F-451S 12 String (1977)
Old 04-18-2017, 07:28 PM
Charter Member

I'm going to see Mr Prine in Manchester on Monday evening (24 April). Not sure how many times I have seen him live, maybe 7 or 8.

Chris Stern

Guitars by:

Bown Wingert Kinscherff Sobell Circa Olson Ryan Fay Kopp McNally Santa Cruz McAlister Beneteau Fairbanks Franklin Collings Tippin Martin Lowden Northworthy Pre-War GC Taylor Fender Höfner

44 in total (no wife)

Around 30 other instruments

Anyone know a good psychiatrist?

www.chrisstern.com
Old 04-18-2017, 07:42 PM

A young kid and his girlfriend, both about 23, sang "In Spite of Ourselves" at my brothers wedding a few years ago. Cool to see younger generations enjoying good, older music. That was my first real introduction to Prine and my affinity is growing as I listen to more of his collection. Great songwriter for sure.

1998 Very Sweet Wife
2000 Cute Daughter (Grand Concert)
2005 Handsome Son (Dreadnought)
2007 Lovely Daughter (Parlor)
2017 Cute Puppy (Duke the Uke)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN