The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 02-28-2021, 05:12 PM

Default Neck resets - projection methodology

Hi , thanks for reading.

Its well known to check if an acoustic guitar needs a neck reset, in short, to run a straight edge along the neck, with strings under tension preferably, and see where the end of the straight edge ends in relation to the bridge top, preferably just clearing it by a whisker.

My question is, with many bridges having a top face contour, i.e. sloping down from the bass side towards the treble side, where does one take the neck projection check ?
Old 02-28-2021, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnyb View Post
Hi , thanks for reading.

Its well known to check if an acoustic guitar needs a neck reset, in short, to run a straight edge along the neck, with strings under tension preferably, and see where the end of the straight edge ends in relation to the bridge top, preferably just clearing it by a whisker.

My question is, with many bridges having a top face contour, i.e. sloping down from the bass side towards the treble side, where does one take the neck projection check ?
I do it at the middle and I also look at the action.
If a reset is needed it will really show up in how high the strings are from the frets. Most of the time it's too high.

Ron
Old 02-28-2021, 07:46 PM

Not all bridge profiles match fretboard profiles, so every instrument is differen

I typically sight between d and g, that tells me the relationship of neck to bridge.

Using side e's for me is ajudgement call to a neck being twisted or possibly not set correctly

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 03-01-2021, 10:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnyb View Post
Hi , thanks for reading.

Gibson flat-top bridges are flat across the top. So the measurements are going to be low on either side. When working on Gibsons, I take an average reading, from one end to the other, which usually works out pretty well.

1918 Gibson L-1
1928 Gibson L-4 (Blond w/Ebony Fret-board)
1930's Kalamazoo KG-32
1930's Gretsch F-50
1934 Gibson L-7
1934 Gibson L-50 (KG-11/14 Body Shape)
1935 Gibson L-50 (Flat-back)
1935 Gibson L-30 (Flat-back)
1942 Gibson L-50 (WWII Banner Head)
1948 Gibson L-50
1949 Epiphone Blackstone

"a sharp mind cuts cleaner than a sharp tool"
Old 03-01-2021, 02:03 PM

Thankyou Ron.
Old 03-01-2021, 02:04 PM

Thankyou Steve.
I thought that would be the case, and then finalise the action with the saddle.
Old 03-01-2021, 02:16 PM

Thankyou Leonard and ALL

Im doing this reset on a 50 year old 12 string. The original bridge had been taken down to under 1/4" and the saddle was only peeking over the top of saddle slot.

My main issue at present stage is guessing final heel angle sanding amounts with a new 3/8 " (average) bridge height bolted to the body through the rear peg holes. Front 6 strung up , over-tensioned by 2 steps. I thought Id overset the neck at one stage , but there are so many variables , and so much neck movement under tension and "in the rack" jig for a few days.
Old 03-01-2021, 02:41 PM

Forget about the straightedge. There are four things you should be concerned with.
1) Relief.
2) Action.
3) Saddle height.
4) String height above the top at the bridge.
If achieving the desired action causes #3 or #4 to be too low, then a reset is indicated.
Note that relief is not affected by a reset, but does affect the assessment of the action. That is why it should always be adjusted first.
Old 03-01-2021, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
Forget about the straightedge. There are four things you should be concerned with.
1) Relief.
2) Action.
3) Saddle height.
4) String height above the top at the bridge.
If achieving the desired action causes #3 or #4 to be too low, then a reset is indicated.
Note that relief is not affected by a reset, but does affect the assessment of the action. That is why it should always be adjusted first.
Thats very interesting John. Thank you. Ill keep your post advice in my 'kit' as I finish this job.

As a general rule, I always check relief and fret levels first . In this case, I beam dressed the frets and have minimal relief under the string tension applied. I like the neck relief to be as minimal as possible unless the player is a heavy strummer. I aim for .004 - .006, starting with the nut.
Old 03-01-2021, 06:25 PM

A straight edge is still a good gauge to make judgement though imho. I use that method to set the neck angle when building a guitar but it is done without string tension on. The idea being that the slight airspace you leave above the bridge will be gone once string tension is applied and the top bows up accordingly.
Old 03-02-2021, 01:19 AM

Thankyou Redir,

Its a bit of a nuisance stringing up, and you need a jig to hold it all, but sometimes neck woods can have hidden soft spots or just be a bit rubbery.
Re soft spots, Qld Maple from Australia is a nice neck wood but according to Professor Google, the tree can be home to a bug that creates hidden soft spots.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair