The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-21-2019, 03:43 PM

FYI, they had a full stock at my local guitar store today.
Old 03-01-2021, 08:06 PM

Angry

I spent a zillion $ on strings to decide on what was definitively the best sounding strings on my Gibson Custom Late 1950s ReIssue Southern Jumbo and the Gibson Masterbuilt Premium PB 13 stood head and shoulders above all others and now I have to figure out a replacement? SUX! Dealing with Gibson for years it is sooooooooo hard to stay in in-love with Gibson. The day I get a Martin D18GE I may never look back

Gibson "Custom Late 1950's Reissue Southern Jumbo Triburst"
Taylor 314CE (Built by Ren Ferguson)
Mystery Resonator
Fender Stratocaster
Old 03-01-2021, 10:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarFundi View Post
I spent a zillion $ on strings to decide on what was definitively the best sounding strings on my Gibson Custom Late 1950s ReIssue Southern Jumbo and the Gibson Masterbuilt Premium PB 13 stood head and shoulders above all others and now I have to figure out a replacement? SUX! Dealing with Gibson for years it is sooooooooo hard to stay in in-love with Gibson. The day I get a Martin D18GE I may never look back
I just replied to your post in the other Gibson MB thread, but these were discontinued and originally made by GHS, so you may find a similar tone with one of their products. Some suggestions (and their differences) were highlighted here in this thread, as well.
Old 05-11-2021, 11:59 AM

Great thread. I have been wondering about this for some time, as the Gibson MB's have been impossible to find. They have been my go-to's for over 15 years. So the conclusion is GHS is the closest known thing, but peoples' impression is they are not the same ? I have some GHS PB's and will try them on my J45 soon.
Old 05-11-2021, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pura Vida View Post
I just replied to your post in the other Gibson MB thread, but these were discontinued and originally made by GHS, so you may find a similar tone with one of their products. Some suggestions (and their differences) were highlighted here in this thread, as well.
Can not find any acoustic Gibson strings and sadly Forced quarantine has killed off my 2 family owned guitar shops (one a Gibson dealer) in Austin where I bought Strings.

I am trying the Dunlop PB strings in medium. So, far very different than PB Masterbuilts but I am enjoying the difference for now. The Dunlops have wonderful sounding treble strings, better than Gibsons, but the 3 bass strings are nice but lack guts. But the overall sound is nice and different. I wish I could have the Dunlop treble strings with the Masterbuilt bass strings

Gibson "Custom Late 1950's Reissue Southern Jumbo Triburst"
Taylor 314CE (Built by Ren Ferguson)
Mystery Resonator
Fender Stratocaster
Old 05-11-2021, 02:51 PM

Fortunately I stocked up about a year ago and have about a half dozen packs left.
The Masterbuilts were made by GHS and are almost identical to their "Bright Bronze" product, although the core to winding ratios are different.
Old 05-11-2021, 10:25 PM
Charter Member

Actually Gibson is selling Gibson branded coated and non-coated acoustic strings again. The non-coated strings seem pretty similar to the Masterbuilt PBs to me. The non-coated strings are the same price I used to get the Masterbuilts for. I got mine from Sweetwater a couple weeks ago.
Old 05-11-2021, 10:30 PM
Charter Member

Here’s a link to the non-coated Gibson strings at Sweetwater: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...-012-053-light
Old 05-12-2021, 11:53 AM
Charter Member

I wonder if Gibson switched vendors. Were the old Gibson MB strings 12-53 or 12-54? I ask b/c GHS is usually 12-54, while D'Add and others are 12-53.
Old 05-12-2021, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pura Vida View Post
I wonder if Gibson switched vendors. Were the old Gibson MB strings 12-53 or 12-54? I ask b/c GHS is usually 12-54, while D'Add and others are 12-53.
My Gibson Masterbuilt Premium (PB) Lights are 12-52:

12- 16 - 25- 34 -41 -52
Old 05-12-2021, 10:39 PM
Charter Member

Ahh, so they're similar to the Thin Core that were introduced after things fell apart with Gibson. So, the Gibson MB likely had the Bright Bronze outer wrap and the thinner core. I think Jamie (rockdog49) had this figured out at one point.
Old 05-13-2021, 04:56 AM
Charter Member

Just go to strings and beyond and get some Rotosounds
Old 11-07-2022, 06:31 AM

I wonder if they were also the makers of Gibson L5 Strings that also were discontinued and if they have a direct replacement: (
I can't find a replacement set of Roundwound Pure Nickel in 10-46 with a Wound 3rd (.018)
GHS seems to only have Rollerwound.
Old 11-07-2022, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athana View Post
I wonder if they were also the makers of Gibson L5 Strings that also were discontinued and if they have a direct replacement: (
I can't find a replacement set of Roundwound Pure Nickel in 10-46 with a Wound 3rd (.018)
GHS seems to only have Rollerwound.
D'Addario has roundwound 10s with would 3rds

you can find them here for example.
https://www.juststrings.com/dad-exl110w.html

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion