The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 02-27-2021, 06:08 PM

Default New to flatpicking

I am relatively new to flat picking. Have been working on an extremely basic version of Wildwood Flower. Pretty close to having it down.

What is my next logical flat picking tune to learn?
Old 02-28-2021, 04:11 AM
Charter Member

The short answer is “Have a go at Red Haired Boy”

I can’t really give you an effective long answer as I don’t know:

What’s your general guitar playing background?

What’s your general music background?

Are you working up these flatpicked fiddle tunes for a gig or bluegrass session playing or old time sessions playing or home playing or what?

With a bit more info I may be able to suggest some potential ways forward (or sideways!).

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 02-28-2021, 06:52 AM
Charter Member

So many directions to take with flatpicking....

I think the best overall resource that touches on a lot of different aspects is Flatpick Guitar Magazine (http://www.flatpick.com). While no longer being published, you can purchase the entire 20 year archive, along with accompanying MP3's in a digital format. Several times a year, you catch them having a sale for the material.

You can also find the Flatpicking Essentials courses there. This is a eight part 'course' that starts out with getting your rhythm down, and then through Carter style, fiddle tunes, soloing, improve, learing the fretboard, and on and on.....

If fiddle tunes are your thing, check out Steve Kaufmans Parking Lot Picker series. Steve holds your hand on learning and breaking down a number of the more popular fiddle tunes you will find at jam. Each tunes is presented with a beginner, intermediate, and advanced versions of the tune.

Another great resource for fiddle tunes is Granger's Fiddle Tunes for Guitar. You will get a basic version of over 500 tunes and progressions. Once you learn the basic version, it is up to you to take the tune wherever you want to.

The author, Adam Granger, is a regular contributor to Flatpick Guitar Magazine, and his columns do break down a number of the tunes in his book and goes over variations on some of them.

hth

D
Old 02-28-2021, 07:21 AM

Thanks for the great replies.

Not really into learning to play out or jam at this point. I was just really excited that I finally had the patience to slow down and learn a song by taking small bites at it.

My family was ok with me quietly strumming and changing chords while practicing. Once I had to keep repeating small parts of a song over and over I was banished to the garage. Lol

I get it though. Like my wife says it’s like nails on a chalkboard.

Thanks again for the replies.
Old 02-28-2021, 07:45 AM

The only flat picking tune that I learned is Big Mon and when it came to using the Metronome to learn speeding it up I decided that this was not something I wanted to pursue further.
Old 02-28-2021, 09:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sponserv View Post
Thanks for the great replies.

Not really into learning to play out or jam at this point. I was just really excited that I finally had the patience to slow down and learn a song by taking small bites at it.

My family was ok with me quietly strumming and changing chords while practicing. Once I had to keep repeating small parts of a song over and over I was banished to the garage. Lol

I get it though. Like my wife says it’s like nails on a chalkboard.

Thanks again for the replies.
Are you just strumming the chords and singing the song at present? Or are you playing the melody on the guitar a note at a time with the occasional strum to fill out the sound?

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 02-28-2021, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sponserv View Post
I am relatively new to flat picking. Have been working on an extremely basic version of Wildwood Flower. Pretty close to having it down.

What is my next logical flat picking tune to learn?
When you say flatpick, are you referring to specific bluegrass styles, or playing with a pick in general?

Flatpick is an ancient term that was subsequently adopted by specific styles. But the original meaning was playing with a single 'flat' pick (as opposed to thumbpicks, fingerpicks or just fingers).

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 03-01-2021, 07:39 PM

You are my Sunshine Red River Valley Irene Goodnight Oh Suzanna - basic tunes you can learn to play Carter Style - melody + chords - good luck
Old 03-01-2021, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin, Wales View Post
Are you just strumming the chords and singing the song at present? Or are you playing the melody on the guitar a note at a time with the occasional strum to fill out the sound?
The latter.
Old 03-02-2021, 03:14 PM

Music with Ryan on YouTube had some good arrangements for free, pay to access the more advanced versions.

I can’t say enough about Tyler Grant’s Facebook jams. Keeping me sane during lockdown.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write