The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-19-2022, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingOM View Post
Thanks Frank!

Yes, I dont think id need a delay either! Is the preamp in your pedal pretty good? Like better maybe than using a Para DI or bodyrez or lets say, the preamp in the K&K trinity system?
Never used a bodyrez but I think it would be a step up from the Para DI or even the K&K Sound Pure. Not sure about the preamp in the Trinity, though. I might have preferred a little more control in the EQ section, maybe sweepable mids, but the basic controls (with 3 position low cut) have been fine with my guitar & pickup. I do have a Fishman Dual Parametric Preamp that I used originally with the ToneDEQ, but didn't need the additional control & removed it from the signal chain pretty quickly.

We have to be able to set up & break down quickly between services & it's very easy with just the two floor units & some cables. I suppose I could mount them on a board but unless I add some other effects (unlikely) I see no reason.

Take care,

Frank
Old 01-19-2022, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingOM View Post
Thank you for the detailed explanation!

Yup, my electric board is full of delays and reverbs! Hehehe.

Thats a great rig! I’ll look into the Para di! But what if there’s no phantom power available?
The PADI can run off 9v battery as well. It lasts a long time too. Just remember to unplug the input cable.
Old 01-20-2022, 12:38 AM
Charter Member

I am fortunate to have an excellent sound person at the church so I rarely have anything to tweak but when the need arises, I’ve used a Grace Felix or a Sunnaudio MS-2 (both are two channel), however, both Grace and Sunnaudio offer single channel versions (Grace Alix and Sunnaudio Stage DI-2) either are exceptional, they are $$ but built like tanks and outstanding professional tools). If you are interested in a PADI, let me know as I will be selling mine.
Custom Emerald X20-12 guitar
Old 01-20-2022, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarwebguy View Post
I am fortunate to have an excellent sound person at the church so I rarely have anything to tweak but when the need arises, I’ve used a Grace Felix or a Sunnaudio MS-2 (both are two channel), however, both Grace and Sunnaudio offer single channel versions (Grace Alix and Sunnaudio Stage DI-2) either are exceptional, they are $$ but built like tanks and outstanding professional tools). If you are interested in a PADI, let me know as I will be selling mine.

Thanks for the heads up on the Grace Felix and Sunnaudio! I didnt know much about them!

And Oh, if you’re in Melbourne Australia, I might bite, otherwise, any deal you offer me might get blown out of proportion due to shipping from any country to Australia! A pedal ships for around 40-60 usd!

DendenDeSarapen

"You dont choose the guitar, the guitar chooses you. If an any time the guitar chooses you, you have to buy it. If you can't afford it, and you can't steal, borrow, or come up with the money to buy it, you'll eventually die of a broken heart"
Old 01-20-2022, 11:45 PM

this is my acoustic pedalboard. preamp is a must + reverb is all you really need. you dont need much for an acoustic guitar pedalboard compared to electric. id suggest bodyrez as entry level ($100), lr baggs venue as mid level ($300), grace alix/felix as high level ($750-$1250) for preamps. hope this helps. cheers!

Old 01-21-2022, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakashi View Post
this is my acoustic pedalboard. preamp is a must + reverb is all you really need. you dont need much for an acoustic guitar pedalboard compared to electric. id suggest bodyrez as entry level ($100), lr baggs venue as mid level ($300), grace alix/felix as high level ($750-$1250) for preamps. hope this helps. cheers!

Helps a lot sir!!

Thank you so much!!

DendenDeSarapen

"You dont choose the guitar, the guitar chooses you. If an any time the guitar chooses you, you have to buy it. If you can't afford it, and you can't steal, borrow, or come up with the money to buy it, you'll eventually die of a broken heart"
Old 01-24-2022, 05:56 AM

I know the Fire Eye DI’s aren’t the cheapest out there but I really like how simple they are and there’s a “magic” that they add that’s undeniable to my ears. Also, I just replaced a TC Alter Ego and Hall of Fame with a Keeley Caverns 2. It’s reverbs and delay with acoustic work very well. And the shimmer is just beautiful!!! I have to stop from over-using it. Good luck!!
Old 01-24-2022, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perchman View Post
I know the Fire Eye DI’s aren’t the cheapest out there but I really like how simple they are and there’s a “magic” that they add that’s undeniable to my ears. Also, I just replaced a TC Alter Ego and Hall of Fame with a Keeley Caverns 2. It’s reverbs and delay with acoustic work very well. And the shimmer is just beautiful!!! I have to stop from over-using it. Good luck!!
Thank you!!

I have done anything yet! although I'm planning purchase in the next few weeks.. I just need to decide on what pickup to use first and then go from there..

something tells me its gonna be cheaper to buy a GraceDesign Alix right away instead of buying more and more pickups to try.. so if thats my plan, then Id probably build around it with reverb, compressor, etc etc.. I dont need much anyway, but I need to somehow fill the sonic space..

DendenDeSarapen

Old 01-24-2022, 05:41 PM

So. Many. Options. And opinions. It’s a fun journey to embark on, though, building an acoustic pedalboard.

To start, I like a great preamp. I’ve used the Fire Eye, a Sunnaudio, the Orange Tube, and the Grace Alix. Currently using a Grace Felix to make solo gig setup as quick and easy as possible. The Grace products are truly second-to-none, IMO. Pricey? Yes. Worth the money? Absolutely.

If a preamp without much EQ control is used - Red Eye or Sunnaudio - I like to have a meticulous EQ pedal. The best one I’ve found is the Empress ParaEQ. It’s been discontinued so you’ll have to find one, used. Another good one is the Wampler EQuator.

I’ve tried more compressor pedals than I care to admit, but I also like having a good, transparent compressor on my board. Some of my favorites have been the Diamond, BECOS, Strymon Compadre, Cali 76 Deluxe, and my current Empress MKii. The BECOS and the Cali 76 were excellent, too.

Delay, reverb, and chorus: I’ve tried quite a few - probably not as many as compressors - but I’m currently using a Source Audio Collider, which saves space on my board as it is a reverb/delay pedal. AND it has tap tempo, which I believe is a must. I tried a GFI Specular Tempus, and although the sounds were amazing, it was just too much for me. I don’t utilize MIDI, so I wanted something more simplistic. The Collider is an awesome alternative, IMO. I like the MXR Chorus pedal, or the TC Corona Chorus. On acoustic guitar, I prefer a digital chorus. All of these effects are used sparingly.

A couple pedals that come and go on my board: Strymon Flint and JHS Morning Glory. The tremolo on the Flint is SO good, and I really like the ever-so-slight drive that can be obtained with the Morning Glory.

I also have a loop pedal - Boomerang Rang iii - but I’m considering trying the new(ish) Boss RC-500. It looks like a great pedal, but I like the Boomerang so much, I just haven’t pulled the trigger.

Pedals; buy them and try them! Have fun!
Old 01-24-2022, 07:20 PM

Default Pedalboards - Need some inspiration! Preamps, effects, etc!

I like to keep mine simple. Currently running a Larrivee OM style with an Anthem in to a boss G7 then into a Venue. Never really have used much chorus, delay, or compression.

I get reverb for the guitar from the built in effects of the Yamaha MG10XU mixer we use. Then into a QSC 12.2 and an 8.2 as mains and a second 8.2 as a floor wedge. On the G7 everything is cut way down, so I keep the level all the way up. Also keep the boost on the Venue always on (set at halfway on the back knob) No compression unless the Venue has it built in somewhere that I’m not aware of. Comes out very full, organic, and alive without fried highs or muddy bass. I think it sounds glorious.

The doubler and mic mechanic are for vocals. We don’t use any of the doubling or correction, just the reverb and the little button (compressor, de-esser).

Last edited by tbtxaz21; 01-24-2022 at 07:26 PM.
Old 01-24-2022, 07:34 PM

I also saw a guy play this weekend who had just a Gretsch acoustic going into a Fulltone OCD and into the board. Sounded great.
Old 01-24-2022, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWJ915 View Post
So. Many. Options. And opinions. It’s a fun journey to embark on, though, building an acoustic pedalboard.

To start, I like a great preamp. I’ve used the Fire Eye, a Sunnaudio, the Orange Tube, and the Grace Alix. Currently using a Grace Felix to make solo gig setup as quick and easy as possible. The Grace products are truly second-to-none, IMO. Pricey? Yes. Worth the money? Absolutely.

If a preamp without much EQ control is used - Red Eye or Sunnaudio - I like to have a meticulous EQ pedal. The best one I’ve found is the Empress ParaEQ. It’s been discontinued so you’ll have to find one, used. Another good one is the Wampler EQuator.

I’ve tried more compressor pedals than I care to admit, but I also like having a good, transparent compressor on my board. Some of my favorites have been the Diamond, BECOS, Strymon Compadre, Cali 76 Deluxe, and my current Empress MKii. The BECOS and the Cali 76 were excellent, too.

Delay, reverb, and chorus: I’ve tried quite a few - probably not as many as compressors - but I’m currently using a Source Audio Collider, which saves space on my board as it is a reverb/delay pedal. AND it has tap tempo, which I believe is a must. I tried a GFI Specular Tempus, and although the sounds were amazing, it was just too much for me. I don’t utilize MIDI, so I wanted something more simplistic. The Collider is an awesome alternative, IMO. I like the MXR Chorus pedal, or the TC Corona Chorus. On acoustic guitar, I prefer a digital chorus. All of these effects are used sparingly.

A couple pedals that come and go on my board: Strymon Flint and JHS Morning Glory. The tremolo on the Flint is SO good, and I really like the ever-so-slight drive that can be obtained with the Morning Glory.

I also have a loop pedal - Boomerang Rang iii - but I’m considering trying the new(ish) Boss RC-500. It looks like a great pedal, but I like the Boomerang so much, I just haven’t pulled the trigger.

Pedals; buy them and try them! Have fun!
oh man thats nice!!

Yea, I'm all about quality not quantity.. even my electric guitar board is built to be very efficient, yet maximizing tone..

the GraceDesign seem to be attainable if I hold off buying stuff for my electric rig.. I also see myself upgrading my guitar to a J-45.. but I need to invest on a good rig before I upgrade the guitar.. I can make any guitar sound good through my electric rig and thats the reasoning behind my plan on getting a good rig first..

besides that, I need to upgrade the Fishman Sonitone in my guitar to something better..

I'm a big fan of reverb.. so good you tried so many.. so I'll probably pick something out of your options and see how I like it.. I currently have a DD-500 and RV-500 for my electric board and it's all controlled by MIDI..

Untitled by D Y, on Flickr

but since I dont want to move around the pedals out of my electric guitar rig, Id probably be buying a separate one and a separate board for my acoustic rig. hehe

DendenDeSarapen

Old 01-24-2022, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtxaz21 View Post
I like to keep mine simple. Currently running a Larrivee OM style with an Anthem in to a boss G7 then into a Venue. Never really have used much chorus, delay, or compression.

I get reverb for the guitar from the built in effects of the Yamaha MG10XU mixer we use. Then into a QSC 12.2 and an 8.2 as mains and a second 8.2 as a floor wedge. On the G7 everything is cut way down, so I keep the level all the way up. Also keep the boost on the Venue always on (set at halfway on the back knob) No compression unless the Venue has it built in somewhere that I’m not aware of. Comes out very full, organic, and alive without fried highs or muddy bass. I think it sounds glorious.

The doubler and mic mechanic are for vocals. We don’t use any of the doubling or correction, just the reverb and the little button (compressor, de-esser).

This is a very nice set up!!

although I dont have to bring a mixer.. I just need something as simple as your board to go through the PA..

DendenDeSarapen

Old 01-25-2022, 07:35 AM
Charter Member

When I first started playing acoustic guitar I went down the individual pedal rabbit hole and over the years after a lot of trial and error I built up a pretty good rig that gave me what I needed to get a decent acoustic guitar and vocal tone that I could feed to a PA. I spent a lot of money and had a boat load of cords to deal with but I ended up with a decent pedal board and got decent tone.

But the more I played, the more I longed for simplicity. If only I could have everything in one single, powerful acoustic guitar and vocal amplifier with multiple inputs that gave outstanding sound with a pole mount hole that would allow me to put it up on a pole behind me, I'd be SO happy. And maybe someone would make said amplifier run on battery as well so I wouldn't need external power.

Here is a wish list of the things I would need stuffed into that magic box to accomplish that:

A full featured programmable digital mixer with effects and color display
A highly intuitive UI with extensive dedicated parameter control
4 XLR mic plus 1/4" inputs each with Class-A solid-state Mic pre-amps and 48v phantom power
Reverb
Delay
Chorus
Compressor
Gate
Mid sweepable EQ
High Pass Filter
Notch Filter
Phase reverse
Bluetooth capability
Main mix (selectable as Direct Out)
Aux Mix outputs that allow your mix (with EQ setting) to sending to house PA or other speakers
Active crossovers
Main mix (selectable as Direct outs)
Monitor Right output and Aux Mix outputs to send to House PA or additional speakers.
Built-in 11000mAh Lithium Iron Phosphate (LifePO4) battery that runs 5-6 hours

Thankfully, someone stuffed all of the above into a small, 30lb wood box that also has an 8″ woofer, a 5 1/4″ mid speaker and two 1″ silk-dome tweeters that puts out 120 watts of power.

It's called the D6-58 from Elite Acoustics Engineering (EAE). Whether if you are looking for a practice amp, a battery powered busking amp, a stage amp for small to medium size venues, a stage monitor for larger venues, the D6-58 can meet all these needs. And if you wanted all of the above but without the amplifier in just a single, digital mixer that is also battery powered, they have that as well in the EAE StompMix X6.

Sure, collecting a bunch of individual pedals can be fun but in the end for me I wanted a single one-and-done, do-it-all, battery-powered solution. The EAE gear is not inexpensive but I definitely spent more on the individual pedals than the single solution I ultimately ended up with. You can read my detailed review of the D6-58 and StompMix X6 complete with demo videos at the following links:

Update 2! NAD: EAE D6-58 120W Battery Powered Acoustic Guitar And Vocal Amplifier

NMD: Elite Acoustics StompMix X6 Six Channel Digital Mixer - post live gig update!
Old 01-25-2022, 05:22 PM
Charter Member

As far as the actual boards go. When I was a gigging musician.

I found Trailertrash pedalboards.

Granted they are built for the road. They are top quality, and very professional looking. A bit heavy.

I run my acoustic board very simple. Dual input/output.

All three of my live acoustics have different forms of Fishman Aura pickups. For on stage acoustic tone. The Aura systems are hands down my favorite.

Pedal order is, Peterson Strobostomp x 2, Morley Lil' Alligator volume xx 2, Radial JDI Duplex, 2 lines out to the board.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification