The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-10-2022, 02:00 AM

Default Best magnetic pickup for recording

When sitting at home recording I record both my voice and the guitar at the same time, with separate condenser microphones. To be able to apply some distortion as well as some other effects to only the guitar, and without picking up too much of me hitting the guitar in a percussive way, I have a Dean Markley magnetic pickup. But it's pretty noisy.

Which magnetic pickup do you recommend? Quiet is a must.

I will probably buy an Yamaha LS6, so I plan to install it there. And I don't want it to affect the acoustic sound too much.

Thanks!
Per
Old 01-10-2022, 05:11 AM

I've had pretty good luck with the DiMarzio Black Angel. Here's a direct recording. I found it very helpful to use a wide 400 Hz notch EQ for recording.

Hope this helps!

Vince

Old 01-10-2022, 05:28 AM

I've always had good results with LR Baggs Magnetic Pickups.

I mainly use the M1a as i like the insane battery life for an active preamp. That being said, the below was recorded with just a Baggs M80 for the guitar. There is a little EQ to the mids and a little Reverb in the mix.

I really don't hear a significant difference between the M1a and the M80 and so the M1a gets my vote becuase of the previously mentioned battery life. Despite the claims, i don't see a major difference in body sound either though the M80 is meant to pick up percussion more.
Fylde Small Falstaff- Engleman/Bog Oak
Fylde Small Falstaff- Engleman/ Madagascan Rosewood
Sobell Martin Simpson MK2- German/ Brazilian Rosewood
Old 01-10-2022, 06:08 AM
Charter Member

I’ve done some studio sessions for other artists and had great sounding success with the Baggs M80 in my D18... most times we use two tracks; one direct from the pickup and another using a condenser mic. Last year I switched my mag pickup to a DeArmond Tone Boss and like it even more. Both are very quiet. I find the tone and eq on the Tone Boss is easier to dial in.
Old 01-10-2022, 07:04 AM
Charter Member

I'm a huge fan of the Baggs M1 Passive. I have one in all of my gigging guitars right now and wouldn't hesitate to record with one. To my ears the active version is a hair brittle, so I sold all my M1A's and replaced them with the passive versions.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 01-11-2022, 05:49 AM

Thanks for your replies!

Any love for the Shadow SH145 Prestige? And the Fishman single coil and humbucker?
Old 01-12-2022, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Per Burström View Post
Thanks for your replies!

Any love for the Shadow SH145 Prestige? And the Fishman single coil and humbucker?
I used a Fishman Neo-D bucker for a while and liked it.

I'm not a fan of magnetic soundhole pickups in general and have installed K&K Pure Mini transducers in all the guitars I've owned for the past several years.
Old 01-12-2022, 07:14 PM

I've got a Fishman Neo-D (single coil) in my Epi Texan, it has an okay acoustic tone but it's not a very accurate representation of the acoustic sound of the guitar. Not the worst soundhole pickup, but not the best either.

The most accurate soundhole pickup I've ever tried (and I've tried a lot) is the Lace California.

The most electric sounding is the Gretsch Deltoluxe - it's also hot at 15.4K, so would be a fine candidate for distortion.
2007 Epiphone Emperor Regent - spruce & maple - Vintage Vibe Floating CC
2017 Vintage VJ-100 - Bearclaw Sitka & Sapele - Gretsch Deltoluxe
Old 01-13-2022, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkLee View Post
I've got a Fishman Neo-D (single coil) in my Epi Texan, it has an okay acoustic tone but it's not a very accurate representation of the acoustic sound of the guitar. Not the worst soundhole pickup, but not the best either.

The most accurate soundhole pickup I've ever tried (and I've tried a lot) is the Lace California.

The most electric sounding is the Gretsch Deltoluxe - it's also hot at 15.4K, so would be a fine candidate for distortion.
Are there different variants of the Lace California? I have read so many good things about them, picked a used one up for my son’s parlour guitar and it’s horribly prone to 60 cycle hum and sounds very electric and unbalanced. No idea if we got a duff one or if there are different versions/iterations.

I use mags exclusively on my gigging guitars so am quite used to them and how they need to be EQ’d etc.
‘97 Martin D18GE (Sunrise)
‘01 Takamine EAN46C (Palathetic and CT4B)
'02 Takamine EAN20C (Palathetic and CT4BII)
'15 Gibson SJ200 Standard (Sunrise)
‘19 Vintage Paul Brett Viator VC Classical
‘20 Sigma CF-100 copy (Sunrise)

Capos by G7th, amplification by AER.
Old 01-13-2022, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinder View Post
Are there different variants of the Lace California? I have read so many good things about them, picked a used one up for my son’s parlour guitar and it’s horribly prone to 60 cycle hum and sounds very electric and unbalanced. No idea if we got a duff one or if there are different versions/iterations.

I use mags exclusively on my gigging guitars so am quite used to them and how they need to be EQ’d etc.
There are a few variants - male/female jack(/jacqueline?), and two different styles of case, one with the Lace logo embossed and the other with 'Lace Sensor' written in gold. None of these should cause any change to the sound of the pickup though. Mine seems hum-resistant as per the Lace Sensor design, at least compared to the Gretsch and Fishman pickups in my other guitars. I'm sorry I can't be more helpful, in my experience it's been a great pickup and it's a shame you haven't had the same experience.
Old 01-13-2022, 10:28 PM

For me the best ones are still those that have a mic - I tend to get as much of the mic as I can in the blend, and eq the result with a tone match solution in software against the original acoustic tone. Recently I tried to do this with a sd mag mic and it sounds pretty good to me
Old 01-14-2022, 05:29 AM
Charter Member

I tried to find this online but I found very few answers.

Does a soundhole pickup affect acoustic sound?

If so, in what way and how much?

Thanks
Old 01-14-2022, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post

Thanks
Yes it does - it's not too bad though. I find it takes away some low end. It makes sense that covering up the hole will do something to the acoustic sound.

That's why I insist on soundhole pickups that can easily be removed like the DiMarzio Black Angel or Baggs M1, which have a mini plug to the pickup. I can easily take the pickup out. I had my tech put a wire clip inside the body so the loose wire going to the endpin won't hang and rattle around. However I can also just leave it hanging and it doesn't really make any noise.

But the bass loss isn't that big of a deal for me - most of the time I'm too lazy to fool around with it and just leave it in.
Old 01-14-2022, 09:29 PM

Quote:

Thanks
This is the kind of thing that you'll hear if you want to hear it, you won't hear it if you don't. A small soundhole pickup, close to the edge of the soundhole, will have minimal impact on the acoustic tone of the instrument. The smallest I know of is the Shadow NanoMag, an active system which mounts to the end of the fingerboard so it has about as much effect on the acoustics as a fretboard extension. The smallest that actually claps to the soundhole is the Lace California.

Large and heavy pickups, like the Gretsch Deltoluxe or Sunrise S1, almost act as another brace on the soundboard. The effect is a slightly stiffer top with a smaller effective soundhole, which changes the projection and resonant frequency of the guitar. My loudest guitar is my Epiphone Texan, without the Fishman soundhole pickup is is only a couple of decibels louder, indistinguishable to the casual listener. My Faith with its small Lace Sensor pickup has no measurable difference in volume. My Vintage, with its large Gretsch pickup, has a perceptible drop in volume, but it's set up with high action and thick strings so I wouldn't describe it as quiet.

Last edited by MarkLee; 01-16-2022 at 09:59 PM.
Old 02-15-2022, 05:39 PM

Quote:

Thanks

In my experience , yes it affects the acoustic sound. I can hear the difference, it’s mostly less Low end.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification