The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 12-18-2021, 01:24 PM

Default Model kit building/commissioning?

I didn't want to hijack the thread on model trains but I wanted to ask a related question: do any of you like miniature model kits, either through building them or just appreciating them? It's come to my attention that there are professional model builders out there and when I see the price of some of the kits and the prices they go for - and the price of the labor used to build them - I'm amazed.

Here's an example, recently I became aware that there was a new version of the Star Trek original USS Enterprise model available for purchase. It's 1/350 scale (approximately 32 inches long?) prepainted and preassembled into four main pieces.

The cost? At present it's approaching $700 - and it's not the cheapest option out there. There are lit models that people commission to have built and hand painted and they can cost THOUSANDS.

Suddenly the Martin custom shop doesn't seem all that bourgeiousie.

Some of these models are film quality with all the literal bells and whistles too. I imagine that those who build these are able to make a nice at least side income.

So what do you all think? Does this type of thing seem like a waste of money?
Old 12-18-2021, 02:48 PM
Charter Member

For years I've thought about building a large scale wooden tall ship model, probably a 19th century British man o' war. Something in the 36"-48" L range.
If I do it will be for myself, not for resale. I would do it for a little variety between guitar builds and because of my fascination with the ships of the period.
In my case, paying someone else to make it would spoil the fun.

As far as the side income possibilities as a maker, it would probably be like trying to make money from a small boutique guitar building shop. But with even fewer prospective clients.
Old 12-19-2021, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil K Walk View Post
So what do you all think? Does this type of thing seem like a waste of money?
I collect Swiss watches. People think they're a waste of money because I can just look at my phone.

You'll never see me playing with one of those $40 guitar picks.

One man's trash is another man's treasure...
Old 12-19-2021, 05:54 PM
Guitar Gourmet

I love to build models. Probably one of the largest collections of nautical models is right up the road from me, the Crabtree Collection at the Mariner's Museum in Newport News, VA.

Go ahead and click - the link does work.

Kind of takes the wind out of your sails, doesn't it?

My father also modeled from scratch, specializing in cannons from the 1700-1800s. He did it from the ground up, including turning the barrels, whittling the woodwork, and creating all the tackle required to mount them in their carriages. He dreamed of setting up a retirement business building these but was in too much demand at his primary job and consulted with them far into his retirement instead.

My son has picked up the mantle. He saw the sort of kits the OP referred to and, in fact, bought a couple of them, and decided he could do just as well. The next think I knew he had a huge kit of modelmaking tools and an excellent spray rig and was making the kits, painting and aging them, and adding the lights as was described. He invited me over one day and asked if I'd like to build with him. I was delighted, and he giggled that he'd already bought extra tools so we could work together. I'd been ambushed! We've been working on a couple of Messerschmitt BF109E-4s in 1/72 scale.

It's tiny. Very little of this cockpit will show through the canopy but it is gratifying to include all the detail.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 12-19-2021, 06:17 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for the link to the Crabtree exhibit, Bob. That was fascinating.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic