The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-19-2021, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AH Acoustic View Post
Hi Barry,

I think the recording is accurate to what I hear in the room.

What I notice with playing finger style with no nails or finger picks is that the attack is definitely somewhat soft sounding.

I did just get some picks in the mail from Taylor as a thank you for ordering some guitars, and I was astounded at the clarity and volume coming out of my guitars.

Maybe I'll have to try a pick of some sort at one point.

Thanks for commenting,

- a.h.
Here you mention variables like style, picks, attack, room, even guitars, maybe they did apply to this thread after all.
Old 09-19-2021, 04:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kizz View Post
Here you mention variables like style, picks, attack, room, even guitars, maybe they did apply to this thread after all.
To be clear, my style and attack, finger style playing, room, etc, were not changed in the recordings, which is the point of this thread.

I did not use a pick for these recordings -- I mentioned the sound of a pick as a new sound to me on my guitars, which I have not recorded, in passing. Hope that wasn't confusing, it wasn't meant to be.

It might be interesting to to a D'Addario vs Martin string recording using a pick, which I'll consider.

-a.h.
Old 09-20-2021, 06:56 AM
Charter Member

I confess hat I'm getting just a tad miffed on AH's behalf.

I make (admittedly) very basic videos and after working for two hours yesterday to make a ten minute vid, I think that those who keep referring to guitars, picks etc,. are being rather unappreciative.

We all know that different makes and models sound different and that playing style and picks also have an effect.

Do we really expect AH to go out and buy a D28, D18, OM, J45 and a selection of Blue Chip picks in order to repeat this demo on our behalf?

There is a constant in this video. That is whatever guitar it may be, and his playing style.

If you would like to make a comparison of different strings on different guitars, by all means do it yourself to share it with us all - for no reward.
While you're at it compare JPs and coated/non coated, and PB/bronze, monel and whatever.

Of course then someone will complain that you should have used a different mic and recording equipment.

Same with guitars themselves - there are a host of reviews of various guitars by many and various dealers -essentially promoting their current stock.

I have my preferences but often wonder what strings and picks are on the guitars, but I've NEVER bought a guitar based on a review or recommendation.

I pick them on my knowledge of the brand, and the specs, and whilst I bought my last three acquisitions online, I also relied on the 7-14 day return option.

In my whole shivering puff, I've only returned one new guitar and that was because the retailer inadvertently advised the incorrect nut width on an Eastman. They were very good about it and the lady UPS driver was very courteous (and very pretty)!

Lets by nice - (rant over).
Old 09-20-2021, 07:12 AM
Charter Member

I agree with you Andy. I said “the voice of a scientist “ because in the scientific method you keep everything the same and change one variable. This is exactly what he has done and I appreciate the effort and willingness to share.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
d'addario, ej17, ma550, martin, string comparison