The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Old 07-23-2020, 10:46 AM
Charter Member

Default PRICE DROP! Martin D-7 Guitar

This unique 7 string D-7 was designed by Roger McGuinn of the Byrds to capture the patented jingle-jangle of his 12 string while offering the versatility of the 6 string. Excellent condition with just some very light pic swirls. The action and tone are wonderful and with it's aging toner and 15 yrs seasoning it is simply beautiful (the pictures don't do it justice McGuinn calls it "the swiss army knife of guitars", while guitar Z Magazine labels it "one of the best innovations....for acoustic guitars to come along in a decade!" This is a hard to find collector's guitar that will only go up in value. The D-7 bears Roger McGuinn's signature and is listed as the #23 guitar made. Comes with a Martin hardshell case in excellent condition.

Price was $2,850 Now $2,500 w/ free insurance/shipping to Continental US.

The following specs are standard for the D-7. I'm not aware of any deviations but will be glad to check in response to questions.
Model: D-7 Roger McGuinn Construction: Mortise/Tenon Neck Joint Body Size: D-14 Fret Top: Solid Sitka Spruce Rosette: Bold Herringbone Top Bracing Pattern: Hybrid ”X” Scalloped Top Braces: Solid Sitka Spruce 5/16 Back Material: Solid East Indian Rosewood Back Purfling: Fine Pattern Herringbone Side Material: Solid East Indian Rosewood Endpiece: Grained Ivoroid Endpiece Inlay: none Binding: Grained Ivoroid Top Inlay Style: Multiple Black/White Boltaron Side Inlay: none Back Inlay: Black/White Boltaron Neck Material: Select Hardwood Neck Shape: Modified V Nut Material: Bone Headstock: Solid/Diamond/SquareTaper Headplate: Solid Black Ebony /Raised Gold Foil Heelcap: Grained Ivoroid Fingerboard Material: Solid Black Ebony Scale Length: 25.4” Number Of Frets Clear: 14 Number Of Frets Total: 20 Fingerboard Width At Nut: 1-3/4” Fingerboard Width At 12th Fret: 2-1/4” Fingerboard Position Inlays: Unique Diamond & Squares- Long Pattern Fingerboard Binding: none Finish Back & Sides: Satin Finish Top: Polished Gloss Top w/ Vintage Toner Finish Neck: Satin Bridge Material: Solid Black Ebony Bridge Style: Belly With 7th String Point Bridge String Spacing: Special String Spacing Saddle: 16” Radius/Compensated/Bone Tuning Machines: Chrome w/ Small Buttons Recommended Strings: Martin Studio Performance Light Phosphor Bronze (MSP4100) w/ Extra .010' Gauge ‘G’ String Bridge & End Pins: White w/ Black Dots Pickguard: Tortoise Color Case: 345 Interior Label: Signed by Roger McGuinn, Numbered in Sequence
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0011.JPG (66.7 KB, 670 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0012.JPG (82.7 KB, 663 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0013.JPG (81.1 KB, 667 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0014.JPG (85.4 KB, 659 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0015.JPG (74.3 KB, 663 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0017.JPG (59.3 KB, 664 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0018.JPG (71.8 KB, 657 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0019.JPG (61.8 KB, 663 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0020.JPG (74.3 KB, 665 views)

Last edited by Grappler; 09-16-2020 at 10:12 PM. Reason: bump
Old 07-31-2020, 09:29 PM
Charter Member

Default Martin D-7 Roger Mcguinn videos

I suspect many guitar enthusiasts have never seen or played the Martin D-7. You tube has 2 Roger McGuinn videos, briefly explaining and playing it. They are worth watching. Feel free to reach out if they impress you. I am open to trades or trades plus cash either way. Thanks Grappler.
Old 08-10-2020, 06:20 PM
Charter Member

Default To the top

I want to encourage my guitar loving friends to check out the Roger McGuinn videos on the Martin D-7 on you tube. It will make a believer of you. Considering trade offers for this unique and collectible gem.
Old 08-11-2020, 05:34 PM
Charter Member

I have no affiliation, nor do i know this seller, but i am a long-time owner of an HD-7, the blinged-up (original) version of the D-7. I believe they are strutcturally identical. All i can say is that this guitar ALWAYS commands attention in whatever venue i have played it--and if you know my guitar skill level--it takes ALOT for my playing to command attention! It still boggles my mind that this one, little, .008-guage string can make that much difference! The strumming of this guitar definitely gives you that 12-string vibe, without the full blown jangle. But the one octave g-string also does not get in the way if you are fingerpicking.

Just my .02 worth--but my martin 7-string is a definite Keeper!

GLWS
Old 08-11-2020, 06:04 PM
Charter Member

Default Martin D-7 evaluation

Thank you sixxstringer for your honest and glowing evaluation of the rare but special Martin D-7. I'm surprised at the lack of response as my experience has been the same as yours ( apart, I'm sure, from your guitar skill level I think, since there are so few of these available, it is a matter of familiarity. You can check out most other guitars by visiting your guitar stores. Your appraisal should help especially if it is followed up by watching Roger Mcguinn's videos on you tube. I hope our paths cross down the road.
Old 08-11-2020, 07:18 PM
Charter Member

Default D-7

Oops! Just realized you were depreciating your skill level. I'm quite sure your skills would well exceed mine. I'm far better at collecting than playing!
Old 08-19-2020, 10:30 PM
Charter Member

Default *Martin D-7 PRICE REDUCTION*

Surprised (and a wee bit disappointed that this rare gem hasn't generated more interest, but my loss is your gain. I'm reducing the price to $2,500 plus free insurance/shipping to continental USA. Her new owner will find her a wonderful and versatile lover, whether picked or strummed. Just ask her maker, Roger McGuinn who calls her the "Swiss Army Knife of guitars". She comes in a Martin hardshell case in excellent condition. Enjoy!

Last edited by Grappler; 09-16-2020 at 11:15 AM. Reason: Price Change
Old 07-17-2021, 05:11 AM

Default Martin D7

Hello, Is this Martin D7 still available?
I am interested in it.
Thanks,
A

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Tags
12 string, acoustic, byrds, collectors, martin