The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 01-20-2022, 11:01 AM

Default Yamaha NCX1

Anybody have any experience with this model?

I sold my Godin electric nylon last year as it wasn't getting played much...so of course an opportunity has come up for me in the future to play some plugged in nylon string...I've always liked Yamaha's budget classical offerings, but haven't seen this in person...anybody have one? How's the pickup?

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 01-20-2022, 02:18 PM
Charter Member

Sorry that I can't help you personal experience, but if I had only $500. to spend on a guitar, this one would surely be at the top of the list:
NXC1C
Other than the fact that it's a nylon stringer, it's a Yamaha. I've never played one that I didn't like. Even the $99. classical they were selling at BJ's department store I tried once for a friend had excellent qualities as a player.
But they've come a long way. And this model seems to have some great features:
- Solid cedar top and walnut fretboard.
- Back and sides are wood too. The mahogany-like nato. That's how they are able to keep the costs down. Smart.
- I don't like undersaddle piezos, but they have a modified design of one to mitigate the "quackiness" that they produce, unless you can combine it with top notch sound systems (like Lindsey Buckingham can with his true piezo Gibson CA model).
Lastly, it can be played unplugged too. (not a flat body). It might be even more versatile than your old Godin.

Too bad I can't give you some sound feedback. If it's anything like the accompanying video (especially when played by Tim Pierce), it's pretty darn good.
Yamaha is a good buy. I'm not surprised that you are looking at them for this upcoming gig. Good luck in your decision making.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 01-20-2022, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreF View Post
Sorry that I can't help you personal experience, but if I had only $500. to spend on a guitar, this one would surely be at the top of the list:
NXC1C
Other than the fact that it's a nylon stringer, it's a Yamaha. I've never played one that I didn't like. Even the $99. classical they were selling at BJ's department store I tried once for a friend had excellent qualities as a player.
But they've come a long way. And this model seems to have some great features:
- Solid cedar top and walnut fretboard.
- Back and sides are wood too. The mahogany-like nato. That's how they are able to keep the costs down. Smart.
- I don't like undersaddle piezos, but they have a modified design of one to mitigate the "quackiness" that they produce, unless you can combine it with top notch sound systems (like Lindsey Buckingham can with his true piezo Gibson CA model).
Lastly, it can be played unplugged too. (not a flat body). It might be even more versatile than your old Godin.

Too bad I can't give you some sound feedback. If it's anything like the accompanying video (especially when played by Tim Pierce), it's pretty darn good.
Yamaha is a good buy. I'm not surprised that you are looking at them for this upcoming gig. Good luck in your decision making.
Thank you, and yes, the Cedar model would be my go to...it seems in my experience on cheaper classicals the "pre broken in" sound of cedar often makes for the better instrument.

I'm looking forward to this gig...the Godin had a fantastic plugged in sound, but as I wasn't gigging it, and it wasn't much to sit around the house and practice on, I sold it. Now I'm looking for a cheaper option that I can hang on to in case more opportunities like this one pop up.

Old 01-20-2022, 08:08 PM
Charter Member

"Sorry that I can't help you personal experience, but if I had only $500. to spend on a guitar, this one would surely be at the top of the list:
NXC1C"

Agree with this. I am a big fan of Yamaha guitars.
Old 01-21-2022, 11:48 AM

This US$730 Yamaha CG-TA is a spruce-top and is more traditional-looking without a cutaway, but it's a trans-acoustic which is like having a Tonewood Amp built-in.

And yes, you can plug it into an amp. The effects will also work through an amp.

I played it recently at a Guitar Center and really just love how it sounds. I'd get one if I didn't already have two classicals and two flamencos.
Old 01-21-2022, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastStrings View Post
This US$730 Yamaha CG-TA is a spruce-top and is more traditional-looking without a cutaway, but it's a trans-acoustic which is like having a Tonewood Amp built-in.

And yes, you can plug it into an amp. The effects will also work through an amp.

I played it recently at a Guitar Center and really just love how it sounds. I'd get one if I didn't already have two classicals and two flamencos.
Oh, that's pretty cool...I think I want a cutaway though...or do I?

Old 01-21-2022, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
I think I want a cutaway though...or do I?
I assume it really depends on your playing style, repertoire, and what you're used to.

As a classical guitarist, I'm accustomed to fretting past the 12th without a cutaway.

I know that the cutaway makes it easier to shred on an electric. But I don't shred on a nylon.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical