The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 12-14-2021, 05:19 AM

Default Your advice in nylon strings trebles sounding like carbon trebles

I'm looking for nylon strings trebles sounding like carbon trebles because I have fragile nails. Once I've tried carbon (higher density strings) and it sounds amazing.
Thanks in advance!

Cesar
Old 12-14-2021, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesar Haack View Post
I'm looking for nylon strings trebles sounding like carbon trebles because I have fragile nails. Once I've tried carbon (higher density strings) and it sounds amazing.
Thanks in advance!

Cesar
They are different material so I don't think you can entirely meet your goal. My vote for the brightest nylon trebles would be Savarez New Cristal.

Have you tried D'addario ProArte carbons? They are a bit softer than the others of its kind.
Old 12-16-2021, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesar Haack View Post
Thanks in advance!

Cesar
Have you tried a nail strengthener? My nails often want to tear above the flesh tip, or chip along the top edges, but never from carbon strings. I can't recommend one but there are some available. I also hear eating hello strengthens nails.
Old 12-25-2021, 11:09 PM

Dogal Diamante are a nylon string with a bit of carbon in them. I'm not sure where might have these other than strings by mail. I find them as gentle on the nails as nylon with a bit more sheen and less honk. It really makes for an overall sweet tone on either of my guitars -- nice sweet melodies. I have decided to keep one of my guitars strung with these in regular tension for long, save-the-nails type practice sessions. However, they also might produce a sound a prefer depending on the material. I've been working up one thing I want to record with them soon.
Larrivee: CS09 Matt Thomas Limited
Taylor: 314ce, 356e, Baritone 8
Timberline: T60HGc
Old 12-28-2021, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanpyle View Post
They are different material so I don't think you can entirely meet your goal. My vote for the brightest nylon trebles would be Savarez New Cristal.

Have you tried D'addario ProArte carbons? They are a bit softer than the others of its kind.

I think that's a good call on the Savarez New Cristal trebles, though I've noticed that their intonation can be iffy. I don't really know of any nylon trebles that are very similar to carbon strings, but I will tout my favorite carbon trebles: Knobloch Actives CX medium tension- especially the third string, which I use all the time now.

Adding: I've tried the Dogal Diamante trebles (still have them in this silly string box of mine) and didn't find anything special or carbon-like about them, myself.

Last edited by Carey; 12-28-2021 at 10:56 PM.
Old 01-01-2022, 09:38 AM

D'Addario J45 Composites with a Savarez Alliance 3rd is a nice combo. Remember, anytime you're putting on carbon fiber trebles, tape a piece of card stock behind the bridge. They tend to slip off the tie-block as you tighten them. This will prevent any damage to your soundboard. Actually, I use the card stock every time I change strings. Personally, I don't care for carbon trebles...maybe La Bella Vivace notwithstanding. If you're using carbon fiber trebles, many times you need to recut the string slots in your nut. Actually, make a new nut, because nylons slots are wider. You can get some strange sounds on open strings with carbons, especially the 1st "E". I've used baking soda with supper glue, after it drys, re-file the string slot.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical