The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 02-01-2015, 12:01 AM

Default Which songs to learn first

I have only been learning guitar for less than 2 years and I started practicing on a classical nylon stringed guitar only last August. Is there a "list" of or book of classical guitar songs you suggest that I "should" learn first?

If this matters, I saw a guitar teacher just 4 times when I started but currently I do not have a teacher. I started by learning certain popular songs which I can play sort of ok. I may be able to read music because I played clarinet a little when I was a kid. Sometimes I change guitar tabs with a pencil when they are wrong compared to the notes or to make things easier to play and I change the notes occasionally if what is written sounds wrong but I can barely sightread music because I am not that proficient yet.

Last edited by Mikeleric; 02-01-2015 at 12:24 AM.
Old 02-01-2015, 04:15 AM

Very important--Find a teacher that requires student recitals and whose fee's are based on a "semester" or season and not a pay per lesson.
You will become part of a "family" of classical guitar players. You will play in ensembles and make friends of all levels that play classical guitar. The teacher will help with music choices.

Last edited by ZippyChip; 02-01-2015 at 04:20 AM.
Old 02-01-2015, 08:02 AM

Not having a teacher is not a problem.
The first guitar player had no teacher.
Justin guitar
Fredrick Noad
Old 02-01-2015, 09:30 AM

I'd suggest one of the 'easy classical guitar solos' books. 50 easy pieces by Jerry Willard, Mel Bay's folio of easy classical guitar by Joseph Castle, The Library of easy guitar classics, also by Willard etc....

There's a lot of 'em out there.
Old 02-01-2015, 04:26 PM

Can't help you with "Classical Music" suggestions, but like you I have been playing for 2 years on a Nylon Classical Guitar, and I can tell you what my instructor has given me in the last year in the folk, pop, rock, etc. arena.
What kind of music are you looking for......
Old 02-01-2015, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2toss View Post
Can't help you with "Classical Music" suggestions, but like you I have been playing for 2 years on a Nylon Classical Guitar, and I can tell you what my instructor has given me in the last year in the folk, pop, rock, etc. arena.
What kind of music are you looking for......
Some sort of song(s) written for solo guitar which have a lot of finger picking patterns and a melody which is not too familiar so that my audience will not think they can sing the song(s) better than I can play it (them).
Old 02-03-2015, 07:31 PM

Congrats on having an audience......my dog usually leaves the room when I play the guitar!

Anyway the songs my teacher has given me in the last year, for which I think the tabs are somewhat simplified, and in a key that provides for the easiest fretting are as follows........they are all arranged for solo fingerstyle

Malaguena
Romanza
Is anybody out there - Pink Floyd
Classical Gas
Scarborough Fair
Angie - Bert Jansch (not the Rolling Stones Angie)
Here Comes the Sun - Beatles
Autumn Leaves - Joseph Kosma/David Boddigton
Tangerine Puppet - Donovan
Dust in the Wind - Kansas
Tears in Heaven - Clapton (just got it last week)

Tangerine Puppet and Dust in the Wind have the same basic picking pattern, and that same pattern is also in Landslide by Fleetwood Mac. I think it's a common pattern in many songs.

Classical Gas was the hardest for me so far, of the ones I've had for awhile. But it is one of my all time favorites, so I didn't mind putting in the work. I still make lots of mistakes on all of them, but my teacher says there's an element of cross-training involved, so that's why I tend to move on, rather than try to play one or two perfectly, just to keep it fresh. Hopefully I'll be able to play them all well one day...........if I live long enough.

It's about the journey...........

Last edited by 2toss; 02-04-2015 at 11:36 AM.
Old 02-04-2015, 07:48 AM

Have you tried Hal Leonard fingerpicking series book. Songs are arranged in standard notation & tablature. It combine melody and harmony together. There written for beginner to intermediate players. They have everything from classical to jazz and everything in between.
Old 02-05-2015, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Congrats on having an audience......my dog usually leaves the room when I play the guitar!

Anyway the songs my teacher has given me in the last year, for which I think the tabs are somewhat simplified, and in a key that provides for the easiest fretting are as follows........they are all arranged for solo fingerstyle

Malaguena
Romanza
Is anybody out there - Pink Floyd
Classical Gas
Scarborough Fair
Angie - Bert Jansch (not the Rolling Stones Angie)
Here Comes the Sun - Beatles
Autumn Leaves - Joseph Kosma/David Boddigton
Tangerine Puppet - Donovan
Dust in the Wind - Kansas
Tears in Heaven - Clapton (just got it last week)

Tangerine Puppet and Dust in the Wind have the same basic picking pattern, and that same pattern is also in Landslide by Fleetwood Mac. I think it's a common pattern in many songs.

Classical Gas was the hardest for me so far, of the ones I've had for awhile. But it is one of my all time favorites, so I didn't mind putting in the work. I still make lots of mistakes on all of them, but my teacher says there's an element of cross-training involved, so that's why I tend to move on, rather than try to play one or two perfectly, just to keep it fresh. Hopefully I'll be able to play them all well one day...........if I live long enough.

It's about the journey...........
I have a book that has "Romanza". It is 2 pages. There is a repete sign at the end of the first page and at the end of the 2nd page the second to last measure is part 1 and the last measure is part 2 and then there is a "D.C. al fine". Does this mean you play the first page twice, then the 2nd page with part 1, then repeat the 2nd page but this time part 2 instead of part 1 and then play the 1st page again??

I mostly know a version of "Classical Gas" I got in tab only, that somebody posted for free to a guitar tab site.

I tried playing the tabs of Sungha Jung's version of "Dust in the Wind" but in order to make it sound like the way I heard the song I have to skip the 2nd base note I see in the tab.

I know the tab is supposed to make playing easier but now I believe I would rather look at music that has the notes and then the tab is optional.

Last edited by Mikeleric; 02-05-2015 at 09:49 PM.
Old 02-06-2015, 06:35 AM

I see that some responding here have played Classical Gas. I too have worked on it but my arrangement also includes the horn section. The horn section seems to be consistently bypassed but I like it very much. So, I cut-and-pasted different arrangements, edited a few notes here and there and I ended up with a complete score.
I could be persuaded to share my arrangement if there is any interest.

Last edited by ZippyChip; 02-06-2015 at 06:55 AM.
Old 02-06-2015, 06:47 AM

This is a very good book with some nice pieces - A good place to start.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/160378059...PS3EWD966RPGK5

Ejercicio no. 10/9 - Ferrer
Romanza - Trad.
Lagrima - Tarrega
etude no. 3 - carcassi
Fernando Sor, Estudio No. 5

I think the best thing is just to listen to as much classical guitar as you can and learn the ones you like. To master the instrument and techniques for classical I think a teacher is important. If you are like me and want to learn some nice tunes the way you want to play them just go and get the tab. I've been playing fingerstyle for years so it's easy to adapt for me, but I'll never be a classical master, but then I've always found the beauty of the instrument most in the space one syle fades and another begins
Old 02-06-2015, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZippyChip View Post
I see that some responding here have played Classical Gas. I too have worked on it but my arrangement also includes the horn section. The horn section seems to be consistently bypassed but I like it very much. So, I cut-and-pasted different arrangements, edited a few notes here and there and I ended up with a complete score.
I'd love to see your arrangement!
Old 02-07-2015, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeleric View Post
I have a book that has "Romanza". It is 2 pages. There is a repete sign at the end of the first page and at the end of the 2nd page the second to last measure is part 1 and the last measure is part 2 and then there is a "D.C. al fine". Does this mean you play the first page twice, then the 2nd page with part 1, then repeat the 2nd page but this time part 2 instead of part 1 and then play the 1st page again??

I mostly know a version of "Classical Gas" I got in tab only, that somebody posted for free to a guitar tab site.

I tried playing the tabs of Sungha Jung's version of "Dust in the Wind" but in order to make it sound like the way I heard the song I have to skip the 2nd base note I see in the tab.

I know the tab is supposed to make playing easier but now I believe I would rather look at music that has the notes and then the tab is optional.
My version of Romanza is hand written tab by my instructor, and only includes the first verse, so I don't have the repeat in my version. This was one of the first things he gave me, and since the other verses are more difficult, I think he just gave me the first verse.

Regarding Dust in the Wind, I've noticed with that and other songs as well, that if the emphasis (or lack of emphasis) and timing are not played correctly, like you say, it doesn't sound right. My guess is it's just a technique issue, which is where a teacher really helps.

A lot of music has the notation on one line with the tab immediately below, which sounds like what you might like, so you can play from either.
Old 02-07-2015, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZippyChip View Post
I would be interested in seeing it......thanks
Old 02-08-2015, 12:09 AM

Quote:
My version of Romanza is hand written tab by my instructor, and only includes the first verse, so I don't have the repeat in my version. This was one of the first things he gave me, and since the other verses are more difficult, I think he just gave me the first verse.

Regarding Dust in the Wind, I've noticed with that and other songs as well, that if the emphasis (or lack of emphasis) and timing are not played correctly, like you say, it doesn't sound right. My guess is it's just a technique issue, which is where a teacher really helps.

A lot of music has the notation on one line with the tab immediately below, which sounds like what you might like, so you can play from either.
Tab should not exist. It is for people who want to play written music without knowing how to read written music. A good teacher should not let a student play from tabs.

Yes that may seem over judgmental and I will look at the tab if I see it but I could read music when I played clarinet as a kid so I should be able to figure things out if there are no tabs and the tabs do not tell you how to count the rhythm, and there are often more than one way to play the same notes on the guitar.

Last edited by Mikeleric; 02-08-2015 at 12:47 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical