The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 04-23-2018, 10:50 AM

Default How tough is it to change PU's and wiring?

My son has a little Standard Squier Strat and his interest has waned. So I have a fun little guitar that is begging to be hot rodded. I'd love to get into my own upgrades. It would give me something else to obsess about and shop online for with PUs, pots, and caps. He has an HSS strat.

It is a win win. I tweak a guitar and practice for tweaking mine and end up with a 3rd I like playing. Or, me messing with his guitar lights a fire under my sons rear and he decides he wants to try again?
Old 04-23-2018, 10:56 AM

If you’re comfortable using a soldering iron it’s easy to change pickups and wiring. There are plenty of schematics available online. Have fun modding!
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 04-23-2018, 02:12 PM

It's not at all difficult but having said that at least a few times a year I get customers in my repair shop who attempted it and really failed miserably with giant globs of solder and wiring that just doesn't add up.

So I guess the answer is.... It depends
Old 04-23-2018, 06:33 PM

Agreed, its amazing how many people actually struggle with wiring, it is pretty easy and self explanatory, but plenty of circuit diagrams also exist if you need one.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 04-24-2018, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaptonWannabe2 View Post
My son has a little Standard Squier Strat and his interest has waned. So I have a fun little guitar that is begging to be hot rodded. I'd love to get into my own upgrades. It would give me something else to obsess about and shop online for with PUs, pots, and caps. He has an HSS strat.

It is a win win. I tweak a guitar and practice for tweaking mine and end up with a 3rd I like playing. Or, me messing with his guitar lights a fire under my sons rear and he decides he wants to try again?
It becomes especially easy if you get an extra pick guard, then you can just swap out the whole assembly.

George
Old 04-24-2018, 09:50 AM

A strat is perhaps the easiest guitar to work on, because everything is contained in the pickguard, with the exception of one ground to the bridge and hot lead to the plug. Even a novice (like I was) with a soldering iron should be able to get great results.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair