The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-10-2019, 05:14 AM

I can't imagine a worse venue for checking out acoustic instruments-unless all one wants to do is look at them.
Old 01-10-2019, 05:23 AM

I'll be going for the first time, very psyched! Question for previous attendees:

I will be arriving from the East Coast the afternoon before the show opens and (based on experience at other trade shows) I would like to pick up my badge that day rather than have to wait in line the day of the opening. Is this possible? Also, because I can only stay for a half day on the day I leave I would like to check out of my hotel and leave the show directly to the airport. Is there a secure area at the show where a carry-on suitcase can be checked and left?

Thanks!

Gene

capecodacoustics
Old 01-10-2019, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capefisherman View Post
I'll be going for the first time, very psyched! Question for previous attendees:

I will be arriving from the East Coast the afternoon before the show opens and (based on experience at other trade shows) I would like to pick up my badge that day rather than have to wait in line the day of the opening. Is this possible?
I've only ever attended as an exhibitor and have picked up passes the day before, it should be possible at the main entrance (off Harbor Blvd, on Convention Way - not the Katella entrance)

Quote:
Originally Posted by capefisherman View Post
Also, because I can only stay for a half day on the day I leave I would like to check out of my hotel and leave the show directly to the airport. Is there a secure area at the show where a carry-on suitcase can be checked and left?
Yes, baggage check is available during show hours (show days only) at the north end of the Main Lobby on Level 1.

Any visiting AGF members or staff are welcome at our booth (#5002 in Hall D - Peterson Tuners), just a couple of booths down from Martin Guitars.

Ask for me - Stomp, see you there!
77 Gurian JM
78 Yamaha FG375S
79 Guild F512
92 Dobro 33H
96 Guild JF55
00 Fender Tele
03 Taylor BB
04 Gibson ES137
05 Washb Uke
06 Gibson LP
07 Martin BP
18 Gibson SJ200

GBNF: Gibson 54 A40,90 J200,90 LP; Guild 75 F112,93 D25/12,95 JF30/12; 65 Fender Mustang; 84 Marlen D10; 98 Ric 360/12; 08 Martin HD35

I work for Peterson Strobe Tuners
Old 01-10-2019, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stomp View Post
I've only ever attended as an exhibitor and have picked up passes the day before, it should be possible at the main entrance (off Harbor Blvd, on Convention Way - not the Katella entrance)

Yes, baggage check is available during show hours (show days only) at the north end of the Main Lobby on Level 1.

Any visiting AGF members or staff are welcome at our booth (#5002 in Hall D - Peterson Tuners), just a couple of booths down from Martin Guitars.

Ask for me - Stomp, see you there!
Thanks very much!! Gene
Old 01-10-2019, 09:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodbox View Post
Apparently I've been naive about this, but am I reading it right--

NAMM is not open to the general public?
Hi Woodbox,

That's right. It's and industry trade show, not open to the general public.
Old 01-10-2019, 10:38 PM

This year will be my first time as well. I'll be the big guy wandering around like a kid in the candy shop...
Old 01-11-2019, 12:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harvl View Post
Chris, Maybe we'll wander pasts each other at some point! I think the last time was at the ASIA show in Nashville... in like 2000???

Harv
Hey Harv, it was indeed! 19 years ago, we spent the last day together after the show had ended.

I’ll be on the Calton Cases stand. Definitely see you there.

And I hope other AGFers will come and say hello.

Chris Stern

35 guitars (no wife!)

Bown 7/Wingert 2/Kinscherff 3/Wren 2/Sobell 2/Olson 1/Ryan 1/McAlister 1/Froggy Bottom 2/Collings 1/Martin Vintage (1840s to 1920s) 6/Ark New Era 1/Baranik 1/Brook 2/Taylor 1/PRS (Electric) 1/ Höfner Violin Bass (1963) 1

8 banjos
2 mandolins

www.chrisstern.com
Old 01-12-2019, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrksman View Post
Hey Harv, it was indeed! 19 years ago, we spent the last day together after the show had ended.

I’ll be on the Calton Cases stand. Definitely see you there.

And I hope other AGFers will come and say hello.
I'll swing by for sure! Just bought 6 of their cases...
Old 01-12-2019, 11:37 AM
Eric Skye

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
I can't imagine a worse venue for checking out acoustic instruments-unless all one wants to do is look at them.
Yup. I always thought it's ironic that the vast majority of all musical products in the retail world were ordered in a room where the buyer couldn't hear them. Even if you're selling software and giving people headphones to check it out with, you just can't escape the din of the main floor.
Old 01-12-2019, 11:47 AM
Charter Member

Not that this matters really, but a friend of mine is a piano player and plays for a company at NAMM (of course I have no idea the name of the company)

Just wanted to share,
PJ
Old 01-12-2019, 11:52 AM

To me the best way to get coverage for a product is word of mouth.
I would like to offer a suggestion to the operators of the show.
Official Vendors should be allowed to sponsor a limited number of regular public attendees. Not open to the General public, but each vendor would be allowed to say invite 10 people to attend.

Ed
Old 01-12-2019, 03:16 PM

Location: The California Central Coast, in The Heart of the Chaparral!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgar Poe View Post
To me the best way to get coverage for a product is word of mouth.
I would like to offer a suggestion to the operators of the show.
Official Vendors should be allowed to sponsor a limited number of regular public attendees. Not open to the General public, but each vendor would be allowed to say invite 10 people to attend.

Ed
Neither the vendors, or operators, of NAMM, want the public there. They're looking for clients who will carry their line of products. That's why they have hundreds of security folks there to keep out the "rubber neckers" out... It's for doing business, not for the public entertainment of instrument junkies...

Don
Old 01-12-2019, 03:16 PM
Eric Skye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgar Poe View Post
...I would like to offer a suggestion to the operators of the show.
They can and do. While it's not open to the public per say, Saturday for example is the truly insane day because venders do get passes for people. If you have some remote connection to a vender, music store, etc, you can probably get a pass. I'm just an artist, and I've gotten a few friends passes.

BTW In my experience most of the real business is done Thursday. It's the calm before the storm. And to expand on my earlier half-serious comment about how so much gear is ordered without really hearing, the truth is there a lot of industry events within NAMM, particularly at night, ranging from very very tiny to hundreds of people, where buyers do get to hear things up close. I've done product demos in nice hotel suites and meeting rooms in the evening...
Old 01-14-2019, 03:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueser100 View Post
Same here. So close here in LA/IE yet so far. [emoji53]
Me too. Born and raised in LA. Bought 150 guitars in 50 years. But still don't make the cut.

That's fine. At 63 a lot of simultaneous, disparate noises don't compute much anymore.

I will look forward to the NAMM videos. My inbox might have a few " chosen" friends that will email to rub it in.

I love your playing Eric. Enjoy the new, always great, SCGC designs.
Old 01-14-2019, 11:44 PM
Charter Member

I have gone the last three years and hope to attend this year as well, likely on Friday as a friend is recording some artists that evening that I would like to hear.

It could be torture, however, as I badly broke my elbow in a bike crash on 1/1 (three plates and 15 screws to put it back together), so I cannot hold or play anything!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion