The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-15-2015, 08:54 AM

Default Oh Darn, I've done it now!

I ordered an Emerald X20-OS Opus With LR Baggs Lyric pickup. Michael at MacNichol seems like a very helpful, kind and intelligent guy. But basically I'm buying a guitar that I've never held in my hands, first time for me. Virgin territory.

He doesn't have any mother-of-pearl saddles in stock and is waiting on getting some in, and offered to send me the guitar now, then send the saddle later, but I told him I don't mind too much waiting so he can just send the guitar complete after he gets the saddle and installs it.

He also provided me with a nice new Breedlove case that the guitar fits nicely in, to replace the gig bag the x20 comes with (a BAG for a guitar?).

I'll report and post pics and a video once I get this beauty in my hot little hands. I've got butterflies in my tum-tum just posting this, and I've got the nerve to call my teenage daughter a drama queen, can you imagine?

Last edited by M19; 01-15-2015 at 09:22 AM. Reason: Masked swearing in title
Old 01-15-2015, 09:05 AM

My wait for the X20 was pretty hard. I think it was worth it though. I don't mind the soft case. The guitar is tough. So far the only damage is wear and tear from some light pick scratches on the soundboard, but I can probably buff them out easily enough. I play the guitar hard and keep it out even with a destructive 5 year old running around the house.

It sounds great and plays well, but I am wondering if I can get it to play a little bit better. I am thinking of sending it to Michael to fine tune the action/relief and adjust the saddle and nut, so I am interested in your thoughts when you get yours.
Old 01-15-2015, 09:21 AM
Charter Member

That first time of buying a guitar sight-unseen is unnerving. Many of us understand what you are going through. Having a trusted dealer makes it a bit less distressing... after the first time. Michael is a good guy - he will take good care of you.

We'll be looking forward to photos and a review when the guitar gets home.

I didn't think much of gig bags until I bought a GSmini, which comes with a very nice gig bag. Then, found out how light and convenient a good gig bag can be. It took me a lot of searching to find something similar for my RainSong Shorty.

Enjoy the new guitar when it finally gets home!

Jim
Old 01-17-2015, 09:03 PM

Congratulations, I think you'll like it. I love mine.

What color are you getting.

And there's no reason why you and your daughter can't BOTH be drama queens.
Old 01-18-2015, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epluribus36 View Post

He also provided me with a nice new Breedlove case that the guitar fits nicely in, to replace the gig bag the x20 comes with (a BAG for a guitar?).
Once you get it, let us know which Breedlove case and give us a few pics of how it fits in the Breed case if you would please. Thinking about an X20-12 string, but there is no way on this earth I am going to keep an almost $2000 guitar in a freaking BAG.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 01-18-2015, 04:30 AM

GIG BAGS?

That's like burying someone only in a mummy style sleeping bag. "oh sorry the box is extra" Remember the good old days when Mummy's were buried in Hard Shell Caves.

And probably the dumbest question in the history of buying a WORK truck; "Oh, did you want a bumper with that truck?"(how did this question get in here)

Sorry, Gig bags and fine guitars are the definition of non nonsensical.

Dang Hot button. STOP PUSHING THAT! please.

Oh, congrats on your new guitar. May you forever be amazed with it!
2012 RainSong H DR 1000(original owner)
2011 Gretsch Anniversary Model(original owner)
Mandolin- 1920's A-Style (unknown brand)
Mandolin- Fender Mandostrat
Banjo -2016 Gold Tone EBM-5+
Fender 2013- Strat

Last edited by Finger Stylish; 01-18-2015 at 04:46 AM.
Old 01-18-2015, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post
Once you get it, let us know which Breedlove case and give us a few pics of how it fits in the Breed case if you would please. Thinking about an X20-12 string, but there is no way on this earth I am going to keep an almost $2000 guitar in a freaking BAG.
When you order the X20, just specify hard case as that is one of the options. Emerald hard cases come standard with the Artisan series and are an add on for the Opus series.
Old 01-18-2015, 09:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Stylish View Post
GIG BAGS?

That's like burying someone only in a mummy style sleeping bag. "oh sorry the box is extra" Remember the good old days when Mummy's were buried in Hard Shell Caves.

And probably the dumbest question in the history of buying a WORK truck; "Oh, did you want a bumper with that truck?"(how did this question get in here)

Sorry, Gig bags and fine guitars are the definition of non nonsensical.

Dang Hot button. STOP PUSHING THAT! please.

Oh, congrats on your new guitar. May you forever be amazed with it!
Never had a good gig bag, huh? I used to feel exactly the same way. Traveling in a bus with 8 other guys, my guitar would have been in splinters if not in that hard-shell case. 40 years later, I carry my own equipment, and travel with my guitar on a boat and in an RV. My RainSong Shorty came with a nice (heavy) case. I added a gig bag when I found the right one. My guitar doesn't get "tossed around." But, it fits on my back (backpack style in the gig bag), and gets to go places because it is easy.

The right tool for the job. Not pushing any buttons, just showing that old dogs can learn new tricks. Heck, I find myself explaining "why carbon fiber" more than occasionally around here, and just a couple years ago, that wasn't a consideration for me. I used to think gig bags were worse than a joke - I thought they were hazardous to my guitars' health. The gig bag that came with the GSmini taught me otherwise. Prior to getting the Mini, I bought a 114ce that came with a gig bag - I told the store to keep it, and I put the guitar in a "real" case.

Just like CF guitars, gig bags aren't being forced on anyone. Some of us have learned to like 'em.

Jim

For full disclosure: I don't want to be put in a box when I die.
Old 01-18-2015, 10:14 AM
Charter Member

Not to hijack this thread but another old dog here who has learned new tricks. Having many like new guitars, one of my concerns was keeping the cases as new. I am still a gigging musician and started carrying my guitars in Wolfpack cases to gigs. I found they were very durable and the original cases are all in storage. Fast forward a bit and I now use a Reunion Blues Double Bass bag to carry my main and backup bass to gigs. I carry them myself and they have been dropped. No damage and I am a believer. The RB demo shows dropping an electric guitar from a building rooftop twice with no damage. I am a believer and the original cases stay as new. An open mind can be advantages.-- Darwin
Old 01-18-2015, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mot View Post
When you order the X20, just specify hard case as that is one of the options. Emerald hard cases come standard with the Artisan series and are an add on for the Opus series.
The upgrade for Emerald's hardcase is NOT cheap. I asked the folks at Macnichol already. Alistair's pricing is ah "interesting". A Chimaera (with a hard case) is actually cheaper than an X20-12 with the emerald hard case.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 01-18-2015, 02:38 PM

Old dog here as well and I will go to the other extreme just to make the case. I have had a lot of Carbons, I think hard shell cases really work against many of the advantages carbon gives you. Carbon guitars are light and strong so you put them is heavy hard cases. Your right back to the heavy combo wood demands. Many may not know how good gig bags are now. Carbon makers are using great gig bags. The L13 bag is awesome. Carbon and gig bag: only way to go. It will liberate you as you step out the door with a light package on your shoulders.
Congrats on you new guitar, which is the important part! Lol
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom

Last edited by Doubleneck; 01-19-2015 at 03:34 AM.
Old 01-19-2015, 12:09 AM

I think you will find a gig bag sufficient for a CF guitar. If you are like me, the only time they'll be in a bag (or case) is when they are leaving the house. I don't store them like I do my wood guitars. I tend to play more when I always have a guitar that is in tune within arms reach FWIW.

Last edited by mot; 01-19-2015 at 12:15 AM.
Old 01-19-2015, 08:30 AM

I prefer gig bags for CF guitars. The guitars are so durable, they don't need hard cases. And gig bags have better storage capabilities. Even if the price was the same, I would opt for a gig bag.
Old 01-19-2015, 08:54 AM

I just got one of those $50 Gator bags from Macnichol's a few years ago for my Shorty, and I love it. Very light, and I can carry it on my back. I mostly take it places to jam (don't really gig) so I have full control over it.

I think one concern a lot of gigging musicians have is when someone else is handling their guitar. I could probably carry mine in a garbage bag and I'd make sure it was safe, but I can't say the same for a roadie who's being paid to move stuff as quickly as possible.

Also, "gig bag" doesn't necessarily mean what it used to. There are some amazing gig bags nowadays that offer as much protection as most hard cases.

I agree with doubleneck, though. One of my favorite things about CF guitars is the weight, so I don't want to quadruple the weight by putting it in a hard case.
Rhoney Oceana
Warmoth Jazzcaster

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber