The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 12-30-2018, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel and wood View Post
Congratulations!

Fender amps are the best in my biased opinion

I may just have to agree with you...!
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 12-30-2018, 07:20 PM

It's a classic, I had one and thought it sounded great!
Old 01-13-2019, 10:24 PM
Charter Member

How are you liking it so far?

I just got one of them today, and I have to say it sounds fantastic. There really is a noticeable difference between the DRRI and my Blues Jr FSR. I know what is meant by boxy now. The B jr is a fine amp, but it when I use it it sounds like the music is coming out of the amplifier cabinet. The music out of the DRRI just seems to be everywhere and encompassing. Hard to explain, but it was easy to hear the difference.

I'll be keeping them both for now though
Old 01-13-2019, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmountain View Post

I just got one of them today, and I have to say it sounds fantastic. There really is a noticeable difference between the DRRI and my Blues Jr FSR. I know what is meant by boxy now. The B jr is a fine amp, but it when I use it it sounds like the music is coming out of the amplifier cabinet. The music out of the DRRI just seems to be everywhere and encompassing. Hard to explain, but it was easy to hear the difference.

Yes, the BJr is highly directional, the sound comes out of it like a beam. Old school and can be raunchy too. So much of what an amp is, is determined by (besides the speaker) the cabinet.

I’m not too comfortable with you guys talking about the ‘65 DRRI - there’s one sitting at my local retailer and I need another amp like a hole in the head.

(Gear acquisition syndrome) yikes!
Old 01-13-2019, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmountain View Post

I’m loving it! It seems to bring out the best in all my guitars and has high glassy overtones to die for!

I’m very happy with it. They aren’t the cheapest amp around but in this case I do believe what you pay for - I’ve waiting a long time to get mine and it’s going nowhere!
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 01-14-2019, 01:28 PM

Congrats on acquiring a fine amp. Enjoy it for a long, long time.
Old 01-14-2019, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeX View Post
Congrats on acquiring a fine amp. Enjoy it for a long, long time.

Thanks! I’ve waited a long time before getting this one. It will be a long time - if ever - before it leaves me!

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 01-14-2019, 03:41 PM
Charter Member

Cool Re-Issue or Original?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieterh View Post
Thanks Dru. Yes it’s the US-made ‘65. She’s a beauty and sounds just about perfect. So far have only played it clean with my Strat but I’m back home now and plan on trying the Tele, ASAT and 335 today with the pedal board.
pieterh;

Glad to hear you're loving your amp (of course, how could you not?!)... is yours an original 1965 Deluxe Reverb or the Re-Issue variety?

When you wrote about how much it costs, I immediately thought you were speaking of "The Real Deal", which would cost quite a pretty penny here in the States.

If yours is truly a 1965 Deluxe Reverb, it looks to be in near-museum quality condition!

I have a 1975 DR Silverface amp that is pretty much everything I love about an amplifier... I can only imagine how yours sounds! Very much the archetype of Rock guitar; I remember reading that the Deluxe Reverb was the MOST RECORDED amplifier in the history of recorded electric guitar... and with good reason!

Enjoy!

"The Cape" (Guy Clark/Jim Janowsky/Susanna Clark)
Old 01-14-2019, 05:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
Yes, the BJr is highly directional, the sound comes out of it like a beam. Old school and can be raunchy too. So much of what an amp is, is determined by (besides the speaker) the cabinet.

I’m not too comfortable with you guys talking about the ‘65 DRRI - there’s one sitting at my local retailer and I need another amp like a hole in the head.

You should go get it.
Old 01-14-2019, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieterh View Post
I’m loving it! It seems to bring out the best in all my guitars and has high glassy overtones to die for!

I’m very happy with it. They aren’t the cheapest amp around but in this case I do believe what you pay for - I’ve waiting a long time to get mine and it’s going nowhere!
Hey Pieter - It's a great feeling when you realize you bought a lifer. Enjoy!
Old 01-15-2019, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
pieterh;

Glad to hear you're loving your amp (of course, how could you not?!)... is yours an original 1965 Deluxe Reverb or the Re-Issue variety?

When you wrote about how much it costs, I immediately thought you were speaking of "The Real Deal", which would cost quite a pretty penny here in the States.

If yours is truly a 1965 Deluxe Reverb, it looks to be in near-museum quality condition!

I have a 1975 DR Silverface amp that is pretty much everything I love about an amplifier... I can only imagine how yours sounds! Very much the archetype of Rock guitar; I remember reading that the Deluxe Reverb was the MOST RECORDED amplifier in the history of recorded electric guitar... and with good reason!

Enjoy!

It’s the reissue, maybe I should have been a bit clearer on that! Still thrilled with it of course.

I’ve also heard that about the Deluxe Reverb, I wonder if there is a way to confirm that...

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 01-15-2019, 02:33 AM

I love my Deluxe Reverb it's a 1964 (from the very first production run)...

Old 01-17-2019, 08:24 PM

Default Go For It

Quote:

Jaden, I too started on a Blues Jr and finally succumbed. You should buy that amp if your into Fender cleans. You'll never regret it and it's unlikely you'll ever want for anything better. Mine amazes me pretty much every time I plug in.
Old 01-17-2019, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBoy View Post
Jaden, I too started on a Blues Jr and finally succumbed. You should buy that amp if your into Fender cleans. You'll never regret it and it's unlikely you'll ever want for anything better. Mine amazes me pretty much every time I plug in.
Thanks for the advice. All I can say for now is I’m happy to read about “Fender Clean” and the prominent place it holds in the electric guitar world and happy that Pieter has this distinguished amp he’s been planning on for a long time.

Did the Deluxe Reverb come after the departure of Leo and before the acquisition by CBS?
Old 01-26-2019, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the advice. All I can say for now is I’m happy to read about “Fender Clean” and the prominent place it holds in the electric guitar world and happy that Pieter has this distinguished amp he’s been planning on for a long time.

Did the Deluxe Reverb come after the departure of Leo and before the acquisition by CBS?

I think that the DR was available before Leo sold the company (which happened in early 1965). My model is a 65 Reissue but the model was originally introduced in 1963 when Fender added the Reverb tank to the existing Deluxe model. I guess the 65 is a tweaked version of that original model.

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars