The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-17-2019, 10:02 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin666 View Post
The latest entry to Parlor sized guitars comes from Guild who will present their new model at NAMM this month. I have no idea what the retail price will be but it looks like it will be stiff competition for the AP66.

https://guildguitars.com/g/p-240-memoir/

This looks bigger than the Alvarez parlor so almost seems like a 00 (Actually is about the same size as the Alvarez parlor). And it does sound fuller and nicely balanced. Guild builds some nice guitars and this one sure seems like it could do very well. Website says $695 MSRP and it does have a longer scale length and 2 1/4 at the saddle which is more generous than the Alvarez.

Best,
Jayne

Last edited by jaymarsch; 01-17-2019 at 10:11 AM. Reason: Added content
Old 01-17-2019, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
Website says $695 MSRP and it does have a longer scale length and 2 1/4 at the saddle which is more generous than the Alvarez.
Uh oh, interesting. The scale length and saddle spacing are the main reasons I parted ways with the two Alvarez parlors I used to have.

Good thing I don't need any more guitars.
Old 01-17-2019, 10:23 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmd612 View Post
Uh oh, interesting. The scale length and saddle spacing are the main reasons I parted ways with the two Alvarez parlors I used to have.

Good thing I don't need any more guitars.
Yes, it is one of the drawbacks that I haven't really adjusted to. Especially that skimpier spacing at the saddle. And, I do not need any more guitars either!

Best,
Jayne
Old 01-17-2019, 12:16 PM

Quote:
This looks bigger than the Alvarez parlor so almost seems like a 00 (Actually is about the same size as the Alvarez parlor). And it does sound fuller and nicely balanced. Guild builds some nice guitars and this one sure seems like it could do very well. Website says $695 MSRP and it does have a longer scale length and 2 1/4 at the saddle which is more generous than the Alvarez.

Best,
Jayne
Hi
i have a Guild Westerly M140 and it appears similar in size (00) to this. 1 3/4" nut, 2 1/4" saddle, short scale and solid top & b/s.

Been delighted with it and great value - cost circa £500.

Rich
Old 09-29-2019, 05:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by airborne1 View Post
There were none to try in my area but I ordered the Alvarez MPA66 from GC yesterday. Looking forward to its arrival.
You have time to break it in. What do you think?

Last edited by k_russell; 09-29-2019 at 05:37 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-29-2019, 05:55 PM

Geeee ! So my AP66 "parlor" would truly be an OO size.

I did not "love" my Larrivee p-03R I found too small then.
I could not compare with the AP66 I got later.
But I love my AP66 and now know I do not need another OO size guitar ! ;-)
Old 10-03-2019, 10:10 AM

I have the MPA70 and it's a very sweet guitar. The size is wonderful, full sound but not a big guitar at all. I recently played an AP66 at a local dealer, and it was very nice as well. The finish on the M series is a step up, along with the all solid wood, so it's more than just the materials that makes the difference. That said, if you are traveling with the guitar, or otherwise don't want to spend the money for the M series, I find nothing not to like about the A series. I've got an AF30 and an AD610, as well as an Alvarez Yairi FYM66HD. They are all fine guitars, though the fit and finish on the M and Yairi is a step up from the A series. They are also quite a few $ more, so that is to be expected.

My most recent acquisition is the AF30, a wonderful guitar for a more than reasonable price. I'm about to do a NGD post on it.
Old 10-03-2019, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Yes, it is one of the drawbacks that I haven't really adjusted to. Especially that skimpier spacing at the saddle. And, I do not need any more guitars either!

Best,
Jayne
What is the saddle spacing?
1990 Guild GF30 Bld Maple Archback
Alvarez AP66
Baby Taylor
G&L ASAT Tribute T-style
Old 10-03-2019, 11:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbeinct View Post
What is the saddle spacing?

2 and 1/8th at the saddle. String spacing is 1 and 1/2 at the nut and 1 and 13/16th at the 12th fret. I tend to play this guitar with my strumming hand closer to the bridge. I can adjust but it is not ideal for fingerpicking for me.

Best,
Jayne
Old 10-03-2019, 01:50 PM

^^^Thx for the info.
1990 Guild GF30 Bld Maple Archback
Alvarez AP66
Baby Taylor
G&L ASAT Tribute T-style

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion