The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-02-2021, 11:37 AM

Default Equalizer for guitar and Loudbox Mini—-suggestions?

I love both my guitar (Santa Cruz) and LoudBox Mini. The guitar is equipped with K&K pickups, and the result is real boominess in the bass. I’ve dialed back the bass a lot, which works better than nothing, but not getting the results I want.

Lately, I’ve been playing an electric guitar into the LoudBox, and the bass is really overwhelming, and unsatisfactory, so I’m looking to buy an equalizer for live performance coming up.

Here’s one from Wampler that seemed interesting to me: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...uator-eq-pedal

And from Boss another that features a low-pass filter, but doesn’t seem as sophisticated as the Wampler: https://www.samash.com/l-r-baggs-ali...al-lalignequ-p

Suggestions, comments?
Old 12-02-2021, 01:13 PM

I would not use the Wampler. An electric guitar pedal is not likely to provide an input impedance compatible with a K&K pickup.

The Align in that sens is a better choice

However I would consider the Sunnaudio STAGE DI-2 PRESTINE

It has a continuously tunable high pass filter and a parametric mid.

My 2 cents,
Cuki
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 12-02-2021, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfsark View Post
I love both my guitar (Santa Cruz) and LoudBox Mini. The guitar is equipped with K&K pickups, and the result is real boominess in the bass. I’ve dialed back the bass a lot, which works better than nothing, but not getting the results I want.

Lately, I’ve been playing an electric guitar into the LoudBox, and the bass is really overwhelming, and unsatisfactory, so I’m looking to buy an equalizer for live performance coming up.

(edited for focus)
Suggestions, comments?
Is your Loudbox working properly? I mean, is the treble and midrange not coming through?

I am not sure how to test for frequency response, but plugging in a Microphone might give a clue if the Amp (or the speaker) is the problem.
Old 12-02-2021, 05:55 PM
Charter Member

A few years ago I had a K&K mini p/u in an Emerald X20 feeding into a Loudbox Mini, and the bass was overwhelming. Through a lot of investigation, I finally figured out that the K&K was the culprit. There are a number of comments on this forum that confirm others have had a bass boominess issue. I eventually added a Tonedexter which cured the problem, but that is admittedly an expensive solution. Others have used a preamp (K&K has a small one) to correct the problem.

I would use another source to check out the amp. I have found my electric guitars through the mini to also be bass heavy.
Old 12-02-2021, 07:04 PM

I would go with the Prestine 2, from Sunnaudio, or with the Alix, from Grace Design.

2005 Martin HD28 with K&K Trinity;
2012 Cordoba C10;
Grace Design Felix 2;
Sennheiser MD441;
DPA 4099 Core;
DPA 4018L;
Bose L1 Compact;
QSC Touchmix 8;
QSC K10.2;
Neumann u87ai;
Neumann KMS105;
Neumann KM184 (matched pair).

http://www.youtube.com/rodrigopandelo
http://www.rodrigopandelo.com
http://www.instagram.com/rodrigopandelo

São Paulo/Brazil
Old 12-02-2021, 07:27 PM

I’m also playing my electric guitar through the amp, so it’s not just a K&K issue…
The tone controls on the mini work pretty well, I just can’t dial out all the base or dial in the sound that I want exactly. Playing through my Bose ToneMatch pre and S1 system, all of these problems either disappear or can be corrected quite well.

So I’m wanting a small, not too expensive equalizer (under $200 ?) that can correct both an electric and acoustic guitar sound for use with the mini…if that’s not asking too much. The Alix looks perfect…but too pricey for me. The Bose seems to handle both electric and acoustic guitars pretty well, but it’s pretty sophisticated…and more work to set up and lug around.
Old 12-02-2021, 07:36 PM

Tech 21 Q-Strip EQ and Preamp Pedal should work well for what you need it for. A few reviewers have said they work fine for K&Ks!

They are a little more than your budget but just a bit! With all the holiday sales I'm sure can find one a bit cheaper... https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 12-02-2021, 08:01 PM

Hey, the Q-strip looks really interesting…looks great and gets good reviews. I’ll check it out…
Old 12-02-2021, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Hey, the Q-strip looks really interesting…looks great and gets good reviews. I’ll check it out…
good luck!
Old 12-04-2021, 04:44 AM
Charter Member

Wouldn’t the trusty old Boss GE-7 work? Impedance match as well?
Old 12-04-2021, 07:39 PM

Quote:
I’m also playing my electric guitar through the amp, so it’s not just a K&K issue…
The tone controls on the mini work pretty well, I just can’t dial out all the base or dial in the sound that I want exactly. Playing through my Bose ToneMatch pre and S1 system, all of these problems either disappear or can be corrected quite well.

So I’m wanting a small, not too expensive equalizer (under $200 ?) that can correct both an electric and acoustic guitar sound for use with the mini…if that’s not asking too much. The Alix looks perfect…but too pricey for me. The Bose seems to handle both electric and acoustic guitars pretty well, but it’s pretty sophisticated…and more work to set up and lug around.
How certain are you that the Loubbox Mini is not the problem? And might be fixed by "tuning up" the amplifier?
Old 12-05-2021, 11:24 AM
Charter Member

You might PM Rokdog as he uses an inexpensive equalizer with his LB Artist but I'm not sure which one.
Old 12-05-2021, 03:10 PM
Charter Member

I bought a guitar with a K&K in it. I have been using Dazzos for five years. I though the K&K must have been faulty. I took it to Gryphon and asked their opinion. My guitar, a D 35, was plugged into a Fishman mini, and BEFORE THE GUY PLAYED A NOTE, he turned the bass all the way off. It was still too boomy, so I know what you are talking about. Then he played around trying to get a midrange hump out, then took the shrillness out rolling off some treble. What he ended up with was useable. I marched right over to Teddys and had my sixth set of Dazzos put in. Turned out my guitar worked with his least bassy pickup. Herein lies the problem with any one size fits all pickup.

K&K has gone to a lot of trouble coming up with the best compromise. But then you need to EQ the heck out of them to get a usable tone. I don't care to do that.

Another vote for SunnAudio pre amps. Dazzo plus SunnAudio is the best combination I've tried, and work well enough I have Dazzos in six guitars from parlors to dreads. But of course, they are six different sets.

Back to your EQ question, when I talked to the designer of the RedEye, asking him why he had very little EQ in it, he told me that most amplification stages in consumer gear were not linear. In other words, certain frequencies got boosted or cut within the gain stage, then a bunch of EQ is added to compensate for the original signal, plus the gain stage. Why a non linear gain stage? Component cost. Studio gear is expensive in part due to parts costs. Good pots, caps and transformers are expensive (if the design has transformers). SunnAudio and I'd imagine Grace uses good parts. Take the average pre, put quality parts in it, and turn it from a $200 pre to a $600 pre. One good pot is at least $20, so just six pots in a pre are going to add $120 to the cost.

It's the same problem with speakers. I really like Beheringer powered speakers. I think they are terrific for the price, but side by side with QSCs it is not a contest. Such is the tradeoff with almost everything. There is always the good vs the better. Each has to decide for oneself.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa

Last edited by Br1ck; 12-05-2021 at 03:31 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
bass response, equalizer, fishman, loudbox mini