The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-18-2018, 08:17 PM

Default Local AGF group jams??? Do they exist?

Just wondering if there are any local AGF get togethers? I live in Austin.

Gibson "Custom Late 1950's Reissue Southern Jumbo Triburst"
Taylor 314CE (Built by Ren Ferguson)
Mystery Resonator
Fender Stratocaster
Old 10-18-2018, 09:17 PM

There should be a forum just for this purpose...

There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life -- Frank Zappa.
Old 10-18-2018, 09:26 PM
Charter Member

You can form a social group if you like. Seems to me the groups have been used more in the past than they are now, but I think they are still allowed.
Old 10-18-2018, 10:17 PM

I was in a couple but people haven't posted in them for literally years. I can't even find the groups now. I always thought it would be fun to have an Aussie group, for example. An Aussie jam/get together would be fun.
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube
Old 10-18-2018, 10:46 PM
Charter Member

I travel a bit and would love to find a local jam to sit in with - a group to talk about that would be great or contacts who already know of jams in their locale would be great to know about
Custom Emerald X20-12 guitar
Old 10-19-2018, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Tachyon_ View Post
There should be a forum just for this purpose...
This is what I was hoping for ;-)

Gibson "Custom Late 1950's Reissue Southern Jumbo Triburst"
Taylor 314CE (Built by Ren Ferguson)
Mystery Resonator
Fender Stratocaster
Old 10-19-2018, 08:14 AM

Im not seeing it on my page
Old 10-19-2018, 08:19 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarFundi View Post
Just wondering if there are any local AGF get togethers? I live in Austin.
Ohhhh, this sounds like a song waitin' to happen.

AGF MCKNIGHT GUITAR SNIPPETS https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=663228

I'll continue "Doin' Life ... As a Luthier's Wife"
McJam = Guitar private event June 21-22, 2024
[email protected]
Pre-sign is required and begins now.
Old 10-19-2018, 08:52 AM
Charter Member

I have been to a maybe a half dozen AGF gatherings over the years and they were a lot of fun, meeting new people and learning about their guitars.

In general, they were not jams, however. They usually ended up as song circles.

The announcements for these events were usually placed in the EVENTS AND NEW RELEASES section of the forum, and that seemed to work well. So in my experience, we already have a place on the forum for announcing these types of events.

It's a lot of work to put one of these events on, so different people need to take on the burden of hosting these events. And sometimes nobody comes, and that's disheartening.

- Glenn
Old 10-19-2018, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
It's a lot of work to put one of these events on, so different people need to take on the burden of hosting these events. And sometimes nobody comes, and that's disheartening.
I'll second what Glenn says -- it is a lot of work. I spearheaded the Carbon Fest in Phoenix last February, where nine of us regulars from the CF room got together for a sampling party, trying a total of 23 carbon fiber guitars. Although we are going to Phoenix again next week (on short notice) I made no real effort to organize anything this time.

I'm up for attending almost any gathering within comfortable driving distance. But we are all scattered around the country, and around the planet.
Old 10-19-2018, 09:19 AM
AGF Sponsor

This is why we have the McJam each June for a weekend of fun and music. Many are AGF members, but that's not a requirement.

We limit it to no more than 50, but we average 35 people. We have a small fee so I can afford to feed everyone. We have it at our home shop so people can see where McKnight Guitars are made and meet the luthier. This is the time to meet other customers and to discuss any guitar they want to discuss. They don't have to be a customer. Just have to enjoy and appreciate the art of guitars and respect the others who are playing. There are motels 10 minutes down the road but we have had a few times someone would pack a tent or sleep in a clean man cave shed. We have open mic, but nobody is required to sing or play. Husbands come with friends or they bring the wife. Our event is no alcohol. A few locals will bring food.

I give door prizes. So far nobody has ever left empty handed or hungry!

Attendees have come from all over Ohio, Texas, Pennsylvania, Michigan, western and southern states, Eastern states, Nova Scotia. We have one AGF member who is an attendee who Skypes but has never been here but because he lives in Australia!

If Ohio is doable driving wise get in touch with Tim or me and I can add your email to the McJam list.

AGF MCKNIGHT GUITAR SNIPPETS https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=663228

I'll continue "Doin' Life ... As a Luthier's Wife"
McJam = Guitar private event June 21-22, 2024
[email protected]
Pre-sign is required and begins now.

Last edited by Kerbie; 10-23-2018 at 05:21 PM. Reason: This post and related ones copied to Events "McJams"
Old 10-19-2018, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
You can form a social group if you like. Seems to me the groups have been used more in the past than they are now, but I think they are still allowed.
I looked for 'group memberships" in my public profile but am unable to find anything by that description. Could you elaborate how to find the list of groups? Thanks.
Old 10-19-2018, 12:51 PM
Charter Member

I think a new forum or page or just a listing of jam groups across the country would be a big asset to this community. I play with a group twice a month and I only found them because of a post that Toby Walker put up about the group. We have so many solo, only play at home players who really could use some help finding a group to ply with.

I am by far the weakest link in my group, but they are always encouraging and willing to help me. Sometimes I'll just stop playing to watch one of the good players. I've become a singer thanks to their encouragement. Maybe not a good singer but I am willing to belt it out. It's all for fun and I've come so much further as a player since I started with the group than I ever could have playing at home.

And when I got a really good guitar recently, a five-year-old Martin custom shop OM-18, I had someone to take it to hear how great it sounds with a good player!
Old 10-19-2018, 04:09 PM
Guitar Gourmet

John ("Cakes") hosted "Cakestock" every year for several years. It was a blast. I've thought of a similar event but the logistics have always drawn me up.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 10-19-2018, 07:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shekie View Post
I looked for 'group memberships" in my public profile but am unable to find anything by that description. Could you elaborate how to find the list of groups? Thanks.
My apologies... the admins apparently disabled the social groups earlier this year.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion