The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 02-10-2022, 04:58 PM

Actually for me, I like to use my thumb to wrap around to fret the bass thing - found that I can’t do that easily with the normal classical neck. Otherwise I would be fine with playing a classical guitar.
Old 02-11-2022, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OPJ77 View Post
Can somebody educate me on the intended use of crossover guitars? Obviously, you can play whatever you want on them but do they interpret well to classical music? Do many classical musicians use them?
Crossovers are simply nylon strung guitars with steel string guitar features. Classical guitars have flat fret boards. About half of the crossovers have radiused fret boards. Classical guitars have a 50-52mm nut. Most crossovers are between 48mm and 50mm. Its more common to see cutaways on crossovers. Some crossovers do sound more or less like traditional classical guitars as they share many construction specs. Crossovers tend to have less traditional features and be more progressive.

Yes most crossovers will translate well into classical music as they are Nylon strung and made in most cases using the same tone woods and bracing as traditional classical guitars.
Old 02-11-2022, 11:17 AM

I haven't been through the whole thread, but I picked up a nice crossover from Kremona recently: the Verea. It has a solid cedar top, lam. rosewood back and sides, cutaway at the 12th fret, and a slim nut width. It has some good electronics in it, but the acoustic sound is sweet, and that's what is important to me.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical