The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-23-2020, 02:04 PM
Charter Member

Default QSC K8.2 Fan Noise

I am considering getting a K8.2, but I remember that some folks here returned
theirs because of annoying fan noise. Must you really push the speaker
for the fan to come on? Is it an issue for low level home practice?
For what kind of user is it an issue?
I am mostly solo acoustic guitar & vocals, but very often have people sit
in with me. Thanks.
Old 03-23-2020, 03:14 PM

When the stores reopen, you can go listen to one. My old K10 fan ran all the time very slowly. To my ear it was inaudible, but we've all got different expectations and tolerances. I suspect for most of us the K8.2 fan noise will be inaudible.

At half the peak power and a few dB less peak SPL, the QSC CP8 has no fan. I suspect in direct summer sunlight the K8.2 will handle the thermal load better.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 03-23-2020, 03:16 PM

Never noticed it and I’m VERY fussy.
Old 03-23-2020, 04:14 PM

I have two original K12s and a K10 and to be honest, I have never heard the fan come on! If I remember correctly, when the K line was first introduced the fan would come on a lot and people complained. I believe QSC went back and fixed this quickly. It’s odd that People are noticing it that much though.
Old 03-23-2020, 04:38 PM
Charter Member

I auditioned the K8.2 and CP8 at the lgs . In that environment I did
not notice the fan. And I only thought of the issue when I got home.
It seems like it's not that big of a deal anyhow. The CP8 is tempting and
lighter weight, but I thought the K8.2 was significantly cleaner.
Thanks.
Old 03-23-2020, 04:59 PM

I have a K8.2 and have never heard the fan.
Between the K8.2 and the CP8 if you ever need the extra headroom on a hard to push load the K8.2 has a Hi-Z output that seems to double the power and stays clean! It outperforms my K10 Legacy.
Old 03-24-2020, 10:12 AM

If I have things set up at home, where it's quiet, I can definitely hear the fans on my K10.2s. But they are soft enough that once music is playing it's not a big deal. In an actual live setting, it's a non-issue.
Old 03-24-2020, 06:03 PM

I've had K8's for 7 or 8 years. I've always noticed the fan noise stopping and starting at different intervals for each speaker - although only when no music is playing or something very simple and quiet. I rate it as a flaw but not a deal breaker for me - considering how much else the K8 does well.
Old 04-24-2020, 08:21 PM

I had posted about this.

I tried 2 brand new in box K8.2's from guitar center. Both had fans that were more than a little bit audible from 12 to 15 feet away in a quiet room. After about 15 minutes of playing (just guitar and mic straight in) they would click on and not stop. The sound was whiring with a bit of a click to it - louder than my desktop pc, not as loud as my laptop when going full bore.

I bought the K8.2 for practice in my house - if you were to practice at half or 3 quarters volume of live playing you will hear the fan whenever you're not playing. Obviously at a venue with people etc you will not hear the fan.

I returned them for a CP8. The CP8 is quiet as I hoped and I can leave it on when not playing and not notice it. The CP8 definitely is not as nice as the K8.2 - in particular it's not as clear and the high end is a bit fatiguing, but it does have a good bottom end. I'm still thinking about the EV ZX1A or maybe drink the line array kool-aid or try an AER Domino out but the latter options seem overkill for practice.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification