The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 04-07-2016, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordMan View Post
How do Oak back and sides sound? I have been trying to Google it but can't find anything.

Here is a thread on the Collings forum which has a pic of the Breedlove guitar tonewoods chart in the second post: http://collingsforum.com/eve/forums/...85/m/939100063

Where would Oak fall on that?
I hope Steve won't mind, but here is a link to the last Oak Parlour that he made that went to TAMCO. Scroll down on the page and there are three sound clips.

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...401428&page=11
Old 04-07-2016, 06:19 PM

To my ears - it gives a guitar a very much older, lush, warm woody sound. Think of the difference between a brand new Martin D18 and a 1940's D18. That's where Oak lands.

To me - it's about the perfect wood on a parlor guitar because it's more warm and less chimey/boxy than your garden variety woods like rosewood or maple.

Thanks
Old 04-07-2016, 06:56 PM
AGF Sponsor

Bro such an elegant lead in to the oak guitar thread. I read just yesterday that the brown color is caused by a fungus that stains the wood more or less uniformly with a brown color that cannot be duplicated with stain. (Though I am not convinced that Tony couldn't get very close)

That's going to be a pretty guitar. I want some of that wood, but I think it's all gone.
Old 04-07-2016, 09:32 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckjohn View Post
Mmmmmmmmm...

Oak is one of my favorite tone woods.
Especially on a small body guitar like this.

Thanks
Thank you Truckjohn. And I agree completely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzard View Post
Steve,

NICE - This may play in to what we discussed.

Chris
It might indeed, Chris. Turns out we have more to choose from than we might have thought, eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claretman View Post
This build looks as though it's going to be of a spectacular level once again Steve. As a Lancastrian born and bred it galls me to look at all that Oak being seasoned in Yorkshire (Our arch enemies LOL). It will be nice to see some of our home grown woods being used by one of the Worlds top luthiers

Iain
Iain, thank you for the lavish vote of confidence. It pleases me that some of your oak is coming back home, as your country has inspired me time and again. And who knows? Maybe somebody in Lancashire will buy this guitar. Then they can face to the east and thumb their nose!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Foster View Post
Love to see oak used in more guitars these days. I'm looking forward to seeing this one come together in such able hands!

Pat
Thank you Pat. Will try not to let you down.

Quote:
How do Oak back and sides sound? I have been trying to Google it but can't find anything.

Here is a thread on the Collings forum which has a pic of the Breedlove guitar tonewoods chart in the second post: http://collingsforum.com/eve/forums/...85/m/939100063

Where would Oak fall on that?
Haven't looked at that list, WordMan, but I'll say again how impressed I am with Oak back and sides. More complex than maple, warmer than walnut. And readily available.

Thanks much,

Steve

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 04-07-2016, 09:46 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
I hope Steve won't mind, but here is a link to the last Oak Parlour that he made that went to TAMCO. Scroll down on the page and there are three sound clips.

No, don't mind at all Tom, in fact--my thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckjohn View Post
To my ears - it gives a guitar a very much older, lush, warm woody sound. Think of the difference between a brand new Martin D18 and a 1940's D18. That's where Oak lands.

To me - it's about the perfect wood on a parlor guitar because it's more warm and less chimey/boxy than your garden variety woods like rosewood or maple.

Thanks
Well, see, I like Indian rosewood. And I think oak is moving more towards the sound one expects from Indian. So in that regard, we are agreed about the "lushness" of the sound!

Quote:
Originally Posted by j. Kinnaird View Post
Bro such an elegant lead in to the oak guitar thread. I read just yesterday that the brown color is caused by a fungus that stains the wood more or less uniformly with a brown color that cannot be duplicated with stain. (Though I am not convinced that Tony couldn't get very close)

That's going to be a pretty guitar. I want some of that wood, but I think it's all gone.
Hey John, yes, one article says it is a "mushroom" that attacks the tree. (Which conjures a comical picture..."Stand your ground, Oak Tree! That's just a mushroom approaching!" "But what an aggressive-looking mushroom it IS!")
Anyway, it does result in a fantastic shade of old gold.

Steve

Old 04-07-2016, 09:57 PM
AGF Sponsor

Ok, back to work. Filling in the rest of that channel finished the inlay. By the way, either side of the center strip is a swipe of shellac protecting the raw wood from glue:

And here is the back, center seam completed. Inlay has been scraped flush with the back, and a coat of shellac applied to give an idea of finished appearance:

Thanks for watching,

Steve

Old 04-08-2016, 12:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kinnaird View Post

And here is the back, center seam completed. Inlay has been scraped flush with the back, and a coat of shellac applied to give an idea of finished appearance:

Thanks for watching,

Steve
Oh, man! That wood is beautiful! After TAMCO, how about making one for an Australian shop Steve

Col (in Australia)
Old 04-08-2016, 12:33 AM

Hi Steve,

This is looking great, I can't wait to get it to TAMCO. I love that centre inlay.

Last edited by Trevor M; 04-08-2016 at 01:11 AM.
Old 04-08-2016, 08:44 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
This is going to look just great, the colors are all coming together so well. I really like the marquetry strip and the colors you chose.

Are the pores in the English Oak as large as those of the White Oak you used before?
Oops, your question slipped by--sorry Tom. Who knew counting backwards could be so challenging?
First, thanks for the compliment. As stated, these marquetry designs are lots of fun, and one is in no way limited to what the supply houses offer. All one needs is t-i-m-e.
Pores: just about the same. This English "Brown" Oak is actually a white oak that has been overcome by a fungus. That to say the wood structure itself is nearly identical to one of our oaks. But wait till you see the Brown Oak burl we're using for accent pieces. Structure gone ballistic!

Steve

Old 04-08-2016, 08:51 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by colins View Post
Oh, man! That wood is beautiful! After TAMCO, how about making one for an Australian shop Steve

Col (in Australia)
Would love to do so, Col. Thanks for the kind word!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Acoustic Music Co (TAMCO) UK View Post
Hi Steve,

This is looking great, I can't wait to get it to TAMCO. I love that centre inlay.
Glad you do, Trevor. I can't wait to get it to you too!

Steve

Old 04-08-2016, 09:15 AM

This one definitely has me interested. I despaired when Haans Brentup stoppped building his beautiful oak-bodied guitars with the Larson aesthetic. It's wonderful to see this style re-emerge ... Kudos!! ... beautiful wood!

Oak is a fantastic tonewood ... and its use should be more widespread in lutherie.
Old 04-08-2016, 09:20 AM

Quote:

Beautiful. I hear that it has a strong fundamental, like Mahogany, but a bit more richness.
Old 04-08-2016, 10:06 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by maurerfan View Post
This one definitely has me interested. I despaired when Haans Brentup stoppped building his beautiful oak-bodied guitars with the Larson aesthetic. It's wonderful to see this style re-emerge ... Kudos!! ... beautiful wood!

Oak is a fantastic tonewood ... and its use should be more widespread in lutherie.
Thank you, Maurerfan. Yes, it was a blow to the lutherie community when Hans had to hang up his apron. I have no delusions of filling his shoes, but much of what caught his eye also catches mine. I'm glad you like this set, and hopefully we can do it justice.

Quote:
Beautiful. I hear that it has a strong fundamental, like Mahogany, but a bit more richness.
Thanks again, WordMan, that puts it pretty well.

Steve

Old 04-08-2016, 11:41 AM

Steve ...I may have missed it ... are you going with a stain for the oak (Haans used to stain his dark), or, a more natural finish? IMO, that top has fantastic character and would show beautifully as is .. or .. close to ...
Old 04-08-2016, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kinnaird View Post

This piece ^ from the shop of Robert Thompson, the "Mouse Man of Kilburn". Best I know, he used English Oak exclusively. Not certain about the finishing method, but the colour is perfect.
I've a customer not far from you Steve, down here in Sussex, that has named his house 'Kilburn'. And his house is filled to the brim with Robert Thomson's work. Items he and his late wife commissioned starting some 50 years ago.

Not to everyone's taste, but certainly interesting and very well built items (and highly sought after).

Comfy '07 Stonebridge OMS-22-CM for enjoying; Thumpy '93 Seagull S6 for thwacking on; Mellifluous '66 S.Yairi for being nylon on.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop