The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 03-11-2012, 12:58 AM

Zepps is indead a great place and Don Zepp a great guy and exceptional clawhammer player.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:09 AM

I hadn't played mine for a while... Too many instruments and too little time...
But I picked up the banjo and tuned it up and fiddled with my clawhammer playing for a bit....
Still didn't sound right.
At work, (it's Spring break at the university and very slow) I pulled up YouTube on my iPad and was looking at some very basic videos from EZ Folk.

Turns out I've been doing it wrong....

I had read through a couple of written instruction things and thought I understood the technique pretty well, but watching the guy do it on the video showed me I was using way too much motion...
Eager to re-try the whole thing now.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikewer View Post
I hadn't played mine for a while... Too many instruments and too little time...
But I picked up the banjo and tuned it up and fiddled with my clawhammer playing for a bit....
Still didn't sound right.
At work, (it's Spring break at the university and very slow) I pulled up YouTube on my iPad and was looking at some very basic videos from EZ Folk.

Turns out I've been doing it wrong....

I had read through a couple of written instruction things and thought I understood the technique pretty well, but watching the guy do it on the video showed me I was using way too much motion...
Eager to re-try the whole thing now.
go here and check out the "clear head videos" for a neat look from the back of the banjo on Clawhammer technique:
http://zeppmusic.com/frameset.htm

d
Old 03-14-2012, 09:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retropicker View Post
Zepps is indead a great place and Don Zepp a great guy and exceptional clawhammer player.
yes and yes...........totally awesome shop

d
Old 03-15-2012, 07:19 AM

Agree - clawhammer is cool. I didn't care for it much when I was young. But now I really think it has an awesome vibe to it.
Old 03-15-2012, 01:07 PM

This is my first message here, because I'm going the other way around. I've been playing clawhammer for about four years, pretty much exclusively. Only in the last month or two have I started playing guitar again.

I'm pretty lucky to live where I live. I have access to lots of old time players and some top clawhammer players. I've been obsessed with fretless for the past couple years. If you haven't heard Frank Lee, of the Freight Hoppers, play, you need to check this out: http://www.greatsmokymountains.tv/Frank%20Lee.html

I build banjos and he used one of mine to do this instructional video for the tune "Hound Chase": http://youtu.be/YPhfnB8YjiM

Jeff
Old 04-16-2012, 07:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darylcrisp View Post
Brooks is totally responsible for my new affliction:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExYuSFC1G8Q
i found this by accident about a month ago and the bug bit me hard. i picked up a used Ramsey Standard, but still have a hankering for a Brooks.
If you don't mind, share with us the sound you get from it, the specs(nut width) and the particulars. Which model is yours btw?
any chance for a soundclip?

d
This is a bit late but I recently put up a video of my Brooks banjo if you are interested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yy7Iz...eature=mh_lolz
Old 04-17-2012, 10:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anton View Post
This is a bit late but I recently put up a video of my Brooks banjo if you are interested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yy7Iz...eature=mh_lolz
Anton

thanks so much for this link and performance-sounds great!

tell us about the Brooks(which model, neck size shape?), thats what got me into this from the beginning(a video of a brooks being played).

thanks
daryl
Old 04-18-2012, 09:06 AM
Charter Member

Hi Daryl,

Thanks for the kind words. Its his Spartan Model, 11" rim. The neck size and width are just his default specs, of which I am not sure. I played a few of his banjos beforehand and the neck felt good, so I just told him to use the default. The hardware is brass, with a fiberskin head, tuners are his stock ones, and seem very sensitive. Its got a brass tone ring. One thing I like is that the banjo is very light. Ive played some other open backs that seem quite heavier, perhaps due to additional hardware.

The wait time was a 4 months or so and Brooks was great to work with.

Last edited by anton; 04-18-2012 at 09:15 AM.
Old 04-19-2012, 12:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anton View Post
Hi Daryl,

Thanks for the kind words. Its his Spartan Model, 11" rim. The neck size and width are just his default specs, of which I am not sure. I played a few of his banjos beforehand and the neck felt good, so I just told him to use the default. The hardware is brass, with a fiberskin head, tuners are his stock ones, and seem very sensitive. Its got a brass tone ring. One thing I like is that the banjo is very light. Ive played some other open backs that seem quite heavier, perhaps due to additional hardware.

The wait time was a 4 months or so and Brooks was great to work with.
thanks for the info Anton, the Brooks sure sounds good. Been eyeing one lately.

d
Old 05-24-2012, 07:46 PM
Charter Member

Just ordered a Sullivan Clawhammer Jam on Tuesday night from the BanjoHangout Classifieds. Can't wait to get started on it

Alex
Electrics: 1975 Gretsch 7670 | 1959 Fender Jazzmaster (heavily modified) | 1980 Fender Lead II
Other Instruments: Eastman MD-505 Mandolin (K&K) | Sullivan Jam Open-Back Banjo (Schatten) | Fender Mustang PJ Bass
Amps: 2017 Otis Trudeau | 1964 Gibson Skylark | Yamaha Stagepas 200BTR
Old 05-24-2012, 08:18 PM

I am going to the Midwest Banjo Camp, june 8-9. It is put on by Elderly Instruments at Olivet College in Michigan. I hope to learn clawhammer style.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments