The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 10-29-2022, 07:28 PM

Default Tequila Sunrise bridge arrangement for solo/vocalist guitarist

I'm looking for an arrangement of the lead portion of Tequila Sunrise by the Eagles where the lead doesn't require a second guitar playing the chords to back it up. As in the bridge melody is incorporated in and outside of chords. Does that makes sense? I don't have any issues playing the original lead, but it's just not there as a solo with no rhythm back up.

I found something close on Youtube but the instruction and quality of the tape wasn't very good.

I want to incorporate the bridge to keep the song interesting as a soloist.

If no one is able to provide a link or piece, and someone is skilled enough to put together a good arrangement I'd be happy to compensate. I'm just not at the level yet.
Old 10-30-2022, 02:32 AM
Charter Member

Cecil, if I was going to have a go at creating a lead break for this song for solo guitar / singer, then I would do what I always do.

I'd start by holding down the chord shapes and finding the simple melody notes within the shapes. It may need the odd finger movement and hammer on or pull off. But that's where I'd start. Sort of Carter style really. It means that you can always strum across the chord at any time or do double stops or whatever to fill out the sound.

I find that I don't really need to do much more beyond playing the simplified melody within the chord shape for any song that I'm singing to produce a sweet break. And, over time, I find little variations (perhaps something like a little cross picking at some point) to add.

As long as you play in time and with feeling you can get away with very little yet sound really sweet within the context of singing the song.

I had an example of this last night. I was playing and singing on the campground we are staying at and a guy came over with his guitar and asked to join me. We spent a couple of hours playing. He did some songs that I didn't know but once I picked up the chord sequence he would throw me a break, and I just used the system above of finding the simplified melody within the chord shapes - it sounded just fine. Nothing flashy, just in keeping with the song.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Last edited by Robin, Wales; 10-30-2022 at 02:42 AM.
Old 10-30-2022, 05:42 AM

Robin’s suggestion is the way to go.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 10-30-2022, 06:54 AM

So you guys want me to work at it and learn? Is that it?

Thanks for the suggestions. I guess I'll have to dive in and give it a shot.
Old 10-30-2022, 09:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil6243 View Post

I think that you will find it easier to work something out yourself than you would trying to learn from TAB or video.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 10-31-2022, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin, Wales View Post
I think that you will find it easier to work something out yourself than you would trying to learn from TAB or video.
You have more confidence in me than I do! The one video wasn't too bad, but the guitarist for some reason skipped parts. And the quality of the video was fuzzy at 240 pixels.

I think what I will do is use the original bridge as reference and try to incorporate the double stops and notes in the chords that are played during that. Wish me luck!
Old 11-10-2022, 06:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil6243 View Post

Following the suggestions above will result in a richer outcome that you can generalize to other songs and settings. Learning a part specific to the song won't give you as much payback for your efforts. That said, if that's really all you want, you can use the suggestions to accomplish that rather quickly.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write