The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 10-28-2022, 07:31 PM
Charter Member

Default Are there Apps (android) that pops up the notes played on a musical notation?

I was trained in the piano for a number of years. I'd love to have an app where, when I play any note on the guitar, would pop up the note on the screen as a musical notation using the classic bass and treble clef notation.

Is there any app like this?

Thanks.
Old 10-29-2022, 03:18 AM

If you have a MIDI pickup, then yes! (or a MIDI keyboard, of course.)

But direct from audio, not really.

Obviously digital audio is a thing, even the simplest guitar tuner can recognise pitches, so the potential is obviously there. But the issue is mainly to do with timing and rhythm. Software can recognise pitch - even multiple pitches in chords - but to represent it on notation it needs to know the time signature and the tempo, so as to be able to choose the right note values. So at the very least you need to play to a given click track, and probably set up a time signature first; and maybe choose a quantize setting to even out any slight variability in your timing. Or be prepared for some fiddly editing to fix it all later.

I suggest googling "audio to midi" and seeing what you turn up. (MIDI is easily converted to notation, the issue is the first stage...). If you try any of the apps or methods you find, please come back and tell us how well they work! (Personally, I'll continue doing it by simply writing the notation myself (into notation software), because I know exactly what notes I'm playing and how they should appear in notation. Much quicker than any automatic conversion process, given the preparation and/or editing that the latter will require.)
Old 10-29-2022, 10:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTL View Post
I was trained in the piano for a number of years. I'd love to have an app where, when I play any note on the guitar, would pop up the note on the screen as a musical notation using the classic bass and treble clef notation.

Is there any app like this?

Thanks.
Hi PTL
I was raised on notation, scores, music contests etc. from age 8 till age 22, and grew up in a classical music environment (earned scholarships for college tuition with it).

I couldn't afford scores for popular songs (if they existed), so by age 9 I was drawing out my own score paper with a ruler and pencil, and keeping them by my radio. My accordion was laying on the bed, and when a song came on, I'd quickly put it on, and I'd jot down melodies a few notes at a time every time the song played. I did this for a couple years.

Eventually I began to put all that scale-work I was practicing to good use (along with my memory) and began scoring and transposing songs to more 'playable' keys.

Age 14 I started playing guitar. So the guitar was laying on my bed, and when songs came on the radio, I'd figure out the chords/notes.

Age 15 I bought a little reel-to-reel, and began recording songs.

I'm from that generation of guitar players who would put on an LP and then drop the needle back repeatedly at the guitar solo to figure them out. And then I memorized them.

If such an app as you are asking for existed, it would have limited appeal for the majority of the guitar community who don't know how to read notes.

I'm suggesting you record songs you like on your phone and figure out notes, chords, etc by listening and mimicking what you hear. It will serve you better in the long run.

Or watch people play them on YouTube and watch their hands (with a guitar in your hands).

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 10-29-2022, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi PTL

If such an app as you are asking for existed, it would have limited appeal for the majority of the guitar community who don't know how to read notes.

I'm suggesting you record songs you like on your phone and figure out notes, chords, etc by listening and mimicking what you hear. It will serve you better in the long run.

Or watch people play them on YouTube and watch their hands (with a guitar in your hands).

The op is wanting an app which will transcribe his music as he plays it, he already knows the notes and chords.
I think he's asking for Alladin's Lamp but maybe one day....
Old 10-29-2022, 12:16 PM

One other option is utilizing talent on Fiverr for transcriptions. On average it costs about $10 per minute so for a 3 minute recording or video transcribed to Guitar Pro, $30 isn’t so bad for the quality you get. You get the GP, midi and PDF files. I’ve been happy with the service.
Old 10-29-2022, 12:48 PM

Doing a simple search there appears to be plenty of apps that do what the OP wants. For example is Magic Stave appears to exactly what is being requested.
https://apps.apple.com/us/app/magic-...ee/id354929718

I use "nail the pitch" for voice and instruments. It will show what note is being played, but not on a stave.
Taylor 562CE
Taylor 214CE DLX
Amalio Burguet Vanessa
Fender Player Stratocaster HSS Plus
Timberline T60HGpc
Kolaloha KTM-000 with MiSi
SunnAudio MS-2
Digital Piano Yamaha P515
Grand Piano Yamaha C3
DPA 4488
Old 10-29-2022, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdman View Post
Doing a simple search there appears to be plenty of apps that do what the OP wants. For example is Magic Stave appears to exactly what is being requested.

I use "nail the pitch" for voice and instruments. It will show what note is being played, but not on a stave.
I just use a tuner with a microphone for that, sometimes I can't find a phrase on the guitar but I can sing it so singing into a tuner tells me the notes.
Old 10-29-2022, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdman View Post
Yes, it seems to do the absolute basic task the OP was asking (show notes on notation), but it's hard to see what use it is, other than telling you what notes you're playing if you don't know. It's certainly not producing actual notation of what's being played, i.e.,anything that could be used to memorize or play back what you're playing.

OP, is that really all you want?
Old 10-29-2022, 05:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyrondack View Post
The op is wanting an app which will transcribe his music as he plays it, he already knows the notes and chords.
I think he's asking for Alladin's Lamp but maybe one day....
Hi Andy-etc
I understood.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 10-29-2022, 06:49 PM
Charter Member

No doubt someday there will be an app that will transcribe directly from audio but I don't believe it exists at present.

There's lots of You Tube pro guitar player videos that offer transcription of what they're playing, for a fee of course, but being cheap by nature, if I hear and see something that I think might enjoy playing, I'll attempt to transcribe it myself using the notational software TablEdit. Some folks prefer Guitar Pro.

You can slow down videos on Y/T and keep the same pitch (before you had to buy special software to do this) and that helps enormously. I need to have a clear view of the players hands and I won't attempt to transcribe anything with multiple time signatures.

Tabledit has a playback feature that will tell you if you are correctly transcribing and it won't let you 'break the rules' of notes per measure and so on. I transcribe in tablature but the software will translate that into standard notation. I know much more about standard now but I still sight read in tab.

It's a great learning tool for people like me, cheap with a not-so-great memory and and a less than stellar ear.
Old 10-30-2022, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenose View Post
No doubt someday there will be an app that will transcribe directly from audio but I don't believe it exists at present.
There are ways today to make it happen, although not in real time.

Tuners... and pitch correctors... can "hear" and identify notes as their played. There are DAW pitch plugins that you can configure to output MIDI notes detected (e.g. Reaper's ReaTune). If you configure things correctly (project tempo set and playing to a click, key selected, etc.), you can capture the MIDI performance. From there, you can use another program (e.g. MuseScore) to convert that MIDI into sheet music.

I've seen the first part (guitar-to-MIDI) done with single-note lines. I'm not sure how well it would work currently with polyphonic stuff, but technically it should be possible. Something that complicated isn't baked into a single app, though.
Old 10-30-2022, 03:53 PM

If you were happy to record the melody as an mp3 then you can feed it into the sing2notes.com page.
I think this gives you a music stave printout
Worth a look anyway.
Nick
Old 10-30-2022, 05:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipotle View Post
There are ways today to make it happen, although not in real time.

Tuners... and pitch correctors... can "hear" and identify notes as their played. There are DAW pitch plugins that you can configure to output MIDI notes detected (e.g. Reaper's ReaTune). If you configure things correctly (project tempo set and playing to a click, key selected, etc.), you can capture the MIDI performance. From there, you can use another program (e.g. MuseScore) to convert that MIDI into sheet music.

I've seen the first part (guitar-to-MIDI) done with single-note lines. I'm not sure how well it would work currently with polyphonic stuff, but technically it should be possible. Something that complicated isn't baked into a single app, though.
Yes indeed what I'm talking about takes quite a bit of effort. Maybe it's best to wait for the app. Lol
Old 10-31-2022, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickv6 View Post
If you were happy to record the melody as an mp3 then you can feed it into the sing2notes.com page.
I think this gives you a music stave printout
Worth a look anyway.
Nick
I just tested it, and it words pretty well. I just allowed the app to detect the key, time signature and tempo, and it guessed all of them correctly.

But I did give it a very easy sample. And it notated it in concert (of course), not in guitar transposition.

A second test defeated it, because I played with a triplet, shuffle rhythm (and also unfairly played a chord or two). It only responds to 8ths and 16ths, and only accepts 4/4 and 3/4 metres, so the rhythms were all wrong. But the pitches were still correct, and it interpreted the scale correctly. I.e., I played in A major, but used a G natural, and it transcribed that as a D major key signature.

But for monophonic lines, played cleanly, in simple rhythms, it does pretty well. The slightly annoying thing is you have to enter a composer and title after uploading! But you can just type anything into the boxes, it doesn't care.
Old 10-31-2022, 05:15 PM

When I was ten, in 1968, learning to play popular music on the organ, I dreamed of such a magical device. Then somebody else invented MIDI.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write