The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 09-11-2022, 12:40 PM

Default New Songs Your Learning??

I know there are other threads like this but .....

I'm working on Pancho & Lefty Willie Nelson (About done)

Everything I own...David Gates ie "Bread" (Close to done), took a while to find the right "Key" for my vocal range ended up playing in "D" capo 2 or 3rd fret
I had to fix the ones online most were wrong in one way or another...
Old 09-11-2022, 02:24 PM

Shower the People by JT
Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 09-11-2022, 04:49 PM

Roy Smeck "Itching Fingers" and Harry Volpe "My Cherished Prelude".
Old 09-11-2022, 05:06 PM
Charter Member

I'm working some extra hours at work due to our 2nd next to last tax season deadline (9/15/22) so lately not so much playing time, but I'm working on some etudes for my right hand, a version of Moderato and some of Stephen Wake's things again to see if I can soften my touch using my new finger and thumb pick skills.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 09-13-2022, 09:58 AM

Currently digging my way through the album Relaxin' with Miles Davis quintet. Trying to play heads and solos with Miles Davis and John Coltrane is a god**** rhythm masterclass. They switch between before the beat, on the beat, behind the beat so effortlessly it hurts. Also Red Garland is just a beautiful introduction to traditional comping rhythms.

Old 09-13-2022, 12:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASD57 View Post
I know there are other threads like this but .....

I'm working on Pancho & Lefty Willie Nelson (About done)

Everything I own...David Gates ie "Bread" (Close to done), took a while to find the right "Key" for my vocal range ended up playing in "D" capo 2 or 3rd fret
I had to fix the ones online most were wrong in one way or another...

If you are learning Pancho and Lefty for guitar and voice, then going back to the source is a good place to start. Townes arranged a fairly simple Travis picking backing for the song he wrote.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 09-13-2022, 12:09 PM
Charter Member

I thought that I might have a go at arranging this one to play as my middle song at the local open mic' in a couple of weeks.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 09-13-2022, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin, Wales View Post

If you are learning Pancho and Lefty for guitar and voice, then going back to the source is a good place to start. Townes arranged a fairly simple Travis picking backing for the song he wrote.
Nice, I'll give it a listen tonight
Old 09-13-2022, 04:12 PM
Charter Member

Now that have made the conscious decision to only play assisted living facilities our new songs to learn list pretty comes in the form of requests. If we play a place and someone asks for a specific artist or song that we don't know then we immediately start looking for something.

In the past couple of weeks we had a request for something bout Connie Francis and The Beach Boys so we learned 'Stupid Cupid' and 'Wouldn't It Be Nice'. Then we got direct requests for 'The Gambler (Kenny Rogers) and 'Love Letters In The Sand' (Pat Boone). So those four songs are being polished.

The good news is that most of the old classics are super simple to play so they come pretty fast. We just started Stupid Cupid and Love Letters a couple days ago and played them live today and they went very well.
Old 09-14-2022, 02:29 PM
Charter Member

Instrumental versions of Ticket to Ride (great riff throughout) and We Can Work it Out (nice bridge, block chord triplets).

I'm a lot more comfortable with ballads, it will take a long time to get these anywhere near the original tempos.
Old 09-14-2022, 02:42 PM
Charter Member

Save The Last Dance for Me. We’re basing our arrangement on the Manhattan Transfer version. Nothing difficult about the song itself, we just want to make sure the vocal harmonies are smooth.
Old 09-16-2022, 06:25 AM

I am learning I Shall Not Be Moved. A traditional song that is the song this month in David Hamburger's Fingerstyle Five membership. Great song that you can do so much with.
Old 09-19-2022, 04:33 PM

I did a short Demo of Pancho and Lefty...This is one take.... it's in my Signature
I need to work out the Intro's and Outro's

Playing in "C" capo'd first fret Key C# could do it in "D" also Capo'd 2nd fret or Eb 3rd fret capo'd.. Taylor AD17e BlackTop
Using a Neat Worker Bee Condenser over my head about 12in away(calms the guitar)
It goes through my Mackie ProFX6v3 no effects added
Into my computer(USB) recorded online in BandLab where the effects are applied..Reverb-compressor-EQ and then Mastered-downloaded
and then Uploaded into SoundCloud.

Close Mic: Worker Bee 4-6in from mouth..noticed pop's so next time I'll use a pop screen

Last edited by CASD57; 09-19-2022 at 05:31 PM.
Old 09-19-2022, 07:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
Now that have made the conscious decision to only play assisted living facilities our new songs to learn list pretty comes in the form of requests. If we play a place and someone asks for a specific artist or song that we don't know then we immediately start looking for something.

In the past couple of weeks we had a request for something bout Connie Francis and The Beach Boys so we learned 'Stupid Cupid' and 'Wouldn't It Be Nice'. Then we got direct requests for 'The Gambler (Kenny Rogers) and 'Love Letters In The Sand' (Pat Boone). So those four songs are being polished.

The good news is that most of the old classics are super simple to play so they come pretty fast. We just started Stupid Cupid and Love Letters a couple days ago and played them live today and they went very well.
'Stupid Cupid' and Love Letters In The Sand' were dialed in enough to roll out for our two ALF gigs last week. Still working on 'The Gambler' and 'Wouldn't It Be Nice' a bit but mostly the lyrics.

Spent the day Sunday inside and added five more: 'Lipstick On Your Collar', 'I'm Walkin'', 'Ring Of Fire', 'Ain't That A Shame' and 'Walkin' After Midnight' - three of which are already ready for primetime play at tomorrow's gigs.

Some of these old classics come super fast, are super easy and - most importantly - super fun to play. We are stoked to play them as we know they will be loved by the residents we play for.
Old 09-20-2022, 04:10 AM

Ballad of a Crystal Man. I watched a TV programme recently about Donovan's time in India with the Beatles - it reminded me how much I loved his songs.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write