The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 09-24-2021, 07:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ715 View Post
I understand that some of his emotional mood is created with effects, but much of it can only be explained by his technique. I can mimic playing the notes, but (Nor will I ever...I get that.)

Any ideas how to create these sounds?
Yes ultimately you create "the sound" by not trying to.

"I sure can't sound like Martin". And I would add , Nor should you want to..

As has been noted in any performance there are two intertwined factors,, only one of can be be unraveled into tangible reproducible elements ..

#1 The technical aspects, of the room acoustics , the recording chain, the mixing and overall production . All of which can be replicated and yet (as you note will still not sound exactly like him)

#2 the emotional involvement and interpretation of the performer and their skill at bringing that to the performance (the uniqueness of which cannot be replicated)

Or as noted and put into musical performance parlance ( It's in the hands of players)

In the world of electric guitar there is much more emphasis on "How to get their ( insert electric guitar god) tone..... But in the end it still boils down to "It's in the players hands". and ultimately cannot be done by replicating the technical...

Now that is not to say the technical aspects do not contribute . They definitely do and are important.. But they will not get you all the way there ......

And a great example of this... is the Youtube documentary video title Guitar Stories Mark Knopfler . The thing that struck me about this video was while each guitar is different In the end the sound is readily identifiable as ,,, "Hey that is Mark Knopfler ".....

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 09-25-2021, 08:03 AM
Charter Member

I liked the tone so much I got his tab for the tune. I think medium strings, with the mic pointed at the sound hole and take your time with the tune, let the notes breathe a bit. That looks like a large condenser too. My LDC record on the mellow side too.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.

Last edited by TBman; 09-25-2021 at 08:08 AM.
Old 11-05-2022, 10:31 AM

Quote:
There are a number of truly accomplished fingerstyle guitar players in the world, and I am in awe as I view their videos. However, despite their great technical skill, I've noticed that only a handful of these folks are overwhelmingly lauded for the emotional expression people find in their music. They play differently, bringing out their guitar's tones in ways that tug at the heart strings. Just take a look at the many comments under their YouTube videos, and you'll see how moved people are by their music. (Jimmy Quango is a player who comes to mind.) For the life of me, I can't produce those tones. Maybe someone here can help.

One of these folks you are probably familiar with is Martin Tallstrom. In case you are not, here is a video that represents his work fairly well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvsADBlmJdI

I understand that some of his emotional mood is created with effects, but much of it can only be explained by his technique. I can mimic playing the notes, but I sure can't sound like Martin. (Nor will I ever...I get that.)

First of all, I would like to thank you for mentioning me in this context! What an honour!!

I asked myself this question too and for me Martin is perhaps the best fingerstyle guitarist in the world. Why? Because he moves me deeply when I listen to his wonderful music.

Tommy E. is the best player for most fingerstyle fans because he is technically outstanding and also has incredible timing. He also wrote beautiful melodies and created milestones in this music. I also love his work.

But Martin has this one tone. It is magic.

When I first heard it, I knew what I wanted. Play like Martin Tallstrom. I didn't succeed.

I think every musician tries to express feelings. But everyone has different feelings. That's why we all sound different and that's a good thing. Even if you have the same guitar, effects and talent, you can't sound like Martin. He's just unique. Maybe I'll keep trying anyway... ;-)

Best regards from Hamburg,

Jimmy
Old 11-05-2022, 11:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
…I understand that some of his emotional mood is created with effects, but much of it can only be explained by his technique. I can mimic playing the notes, but I sure can't sound like Martin. (Nor will I ever...I get that.)

Hi all
I realize this post is more than 13 months after the original post.

He's playing at a very low volume as his base, so any dynamics he adds are very dramatic. And he accents using nails, etc.

I'm going to try to implement some of his dynamics by starting a couple 'quiet' pieces I wrote a full level softer and building from there.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

Last edited by ljguitar; 11-05-2022 at 12:49 PM.
Old 11-10-2022, 10:37 PM
Charter Member

AZ715, Quick note to say a heartfelt thank you for introducing me to Tallstrom. Never heard of him before. He illustrates that you don't need an expensive guitar to craft achingly beautiful music - or shred a hundred notes a minute. (Though I am sure that a great instrument helps - and he has some nice ones.) I've been listening to him as I work this evening. Beautiful work.

Example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4Mg...80A08&index=25

Quote:
There are a number of truly accomplished fingerstyle guitar players in the world, and I am in awe as I view their videos. However, despite their great technical skill, I've noticed that only a handful of these folks are overwhelmingly lauded for the emotional expression people find in their music. They play differently, bringing out their guitar's tones in ways that tug at the heart strings. Just take a look at the many comments under their YouTube videos, and you'll see how moved people are by their music. (Jimmy Quango is a player who comes to mind.) For the life of me, I can't produce those tones. Maybe someone here can help.

One of these folks you are probably familiar with is Martin Tallstrom. In case you are not, here is a video that represents his work fairly well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvsADBlmJdI

I understand that some of his emotional mood is created with effects, but much of it can only be explained by his technique. I can mimic playing the notes, but I sure can't sound like Martin. (Nor will I ever...I get that.)

Last edited by PTL; 11-10-2022 at 10:59 PM.
Old 11-11-2022, 04:56 AM

Just say that Martin Talstrom uses Olav Loef guitars. Regardless of how I treat the sound, these guitars are wonderful! I can attest to this as I am the happy owner of one.

2023 Loef 00 13 fret
2018 Loef Dread SS 12 fret
1972 Yamaha FG-75 Red Label
2017 Kremona Romida rd-c

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write