The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 11-06-2022, 04:21 PM

Default Yamaha CG-TA

Anybody here have one? What do you think of it? I'm very interested in this guitar.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 11-06-2022, 06:46 PM

I was convinced to acquire one after testing it several times at a local Guitar Center. It's a lot of fun.

I had to slightly adjust the action at the saddle and nut. This was not a problem for me. Yamaha classicals come out of the factory with slightly high action.

For most classical pieces, I'll just turn-up the Room Reverb or Hall Reverb settings a tad. And with that, it sounds like I'm performing on-stage or in a cathedral. The transacoustic system does make the guitar louder but you can't really crank it up the way one would with an amplifier.

I originally thought that I would never use the Chorus effect. But I've discovered that adding it creates tonal qualities that my brain associates with steel strings. This makes it work very well for Celtic and Appalachian fingerstyle pieces, and for Hawaiian slack-key.

You can combine both Reverb and Chorus effects.

You can plug it into an amp and use the onboard effects if you want. It has a volume control that is activated when plugged in. You need to unplug it when not in use so as not to drain the batteries (2x AA).

The guitar sounds quite nice without the effects as well. I got mine used in mint condition and it had been lightly played-in for two years.

The base instrument is really the $400 CG162S. So on a new model, you're paying a good chunk for the Transacoustic system.
Old 11-07-2022, 10:15 AM

Good info, thank you!

I'm in the market for a nylon string acoustic electric, but these, with being able to use effects while unplugged, were definitely interesting.

Old 11-07-2022, 12:24 PM

I have one, it's great! I don't use the effects, I just bought it because it felt nice in my hands and the build quality was terrific compared to the Cordobas and Alhambras in the same price range. I am currently experiencing some buzzing/rattling due to all of the stuff attached to the inside of the guitar and need to get that sorted. If I can't track it down I might be looking for the one mentioned in this thread that's the same version without the electronics. Nice little guitar.
Old 11-07-2022, 12:57 PM

Yeah, part of me finds the effects VERY interesting, part of me says I'll probably never use them.

But I am needing something with a pickup...

Old 11-08-2022, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
Yeah, part of me finds the effects VERY interesting, part of me says I'll probably never use them.

But I am needing something with a pickup...
If all you need is an instrument with a pick-up, then consider Yamaha's NCX1 series. This model has a cut-away, simpler appointments, and a more hybrid look.

The one problem with the CG-TA is that, although its effects can be used with an amp, it does not have an onboard pre-amp (with at least a tri-band equalizer [high,mid,low]). You would need to use controls on the amp or an external pre-amp.

I consider this important to scoop-out the mids to create a more natural tone.

I happen to also have the Yamaha NCX1 spruce top. I like the unamped tone of the CG-TA better than the NCX1 but the latter is much better than the CG-TA when plugged-in and it costs less.

The NCX1 also comes with a truss rod. Mine needed absolutely no adjustments; the action was perfect.

And if you prefer a narrower neck and 14-frets to the body, Yamaha also has the NTX1.

There is also a cedar-topped version which is the NCX1C.

Last edited by CoastStrings; 11-08-2022 at 05:28 PM.
Old 11-08-2022, 05:15 PM

If, for some reason, you prefer a more traditional-looking nylon string guitar, then you might want to see if the new Yamaha CGX122MC or CGX122MS are already available.

These are new guitars that have the same pick-up configuration as the NCX1 series.

I have not had an opportunity to examine or play these but I can attest to my satisfaction with the pick-up system.

Old 11-08-2022, 05:37 PM

Great info.

A former student of mine is going to lend me his NTX 1 for a bit. Even if I don't dig the body shape/skinnier neck, should be able to get a good idea of the pickup.

Old 11-08-2022, 06:23 PM

The pick-ups on the NCX1, NTX1, and CGX122M series are all just an undersaddle with a 3-band EQ and an adjustable mid-frequency range. I believe it's called System 73.

There are no on-board reverb or chorus effects. I use my amp's effects. My NCX1 pairs great with my Yamaha THR5A acoustic practice amp.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical