The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 12-13-2018, 06:19 PM
Charter Member

Default Strings to tame the X20 bass?

OK, so I'm a couple of weeks into this X20 experience and I'm really not picking it up as often as I expected. Today I think I figured out why - I think the bass is so powerful that it is a bit off-putting.

I noticed this when I played the Nylon X20. I noticed a pronounced bass when I played a rainsong back to back with my new steel string X20. And I hear the pronounced thump both from behind the instrument and when someone else is playing it.

Is this just the nature of the CF beast? Anybody else notice/care? Any suggestions for strings to address this specific issue?

Current strings: D'Addario EXP 80/20 as shipped. Not clear what gauge but feel thicker than my normal custom lights.

Comparison guitar: 1997 HD28 custom - adirondack/large sound hole

Normally play fingerstyle. Sometimes meat, sometimes nails. No picks.

Thanks for any insights.
Old 12-13-2018, 06:36 PM

I would try Elixir nanos bronze (not phosphor bronze) in the custom light gauge 11-52)
Old 12-13-2018, 06:41 PM

I don't have an X20, but I've recently tried out some silk and steel strings on my Rainsong CH-WS. The wound strings definitely have reduced volume output (as well as the expected mellower tone). Maybe give it a try if someone else more senior doesn't have a better suggestion. Best of luck!

Btw, I've got an X20 nylon on order. If I find the bass to be too much, I'll chime in about it too. Hard for me to imagine at the moment though, assuming the trebles are still coming through.
Old 12-13-2018, 07:13 PM

I 2nd the Elixir Nanoweb 80/20 bronze custom light but wouldn't recommend going with a gauge any lower than that. Since you mentioned "thump" what kind of pickup system do you have in it?
Old 12-13-2018, 07:17 PM

While I prefer Martin Retros, for what you're describing, I would try Ernie Ball aluminum bronze in light gauge.
2012 RainSong H DR 1000(original owner)
2011 Gretsch Anniversary Model(original owner)
Mandolin- 1920's A-Style (unknown brand)
Mandolin- Fender Mandostrat
Banjo -2016 Gold Tone EBM-5+
Fender 2013- Strat
Old 12-13-2018, 07:22 PM
Charter Member

Have you listened to the guitar from the front while someone else was playing it? Was the results the same? I ask because I was under the impression that the X20 sound hole pointing at the player seems to emphasize the bass. I could be wrong though ! Thanks.
Old 12-13-2018, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
Have you listened to the guitar from the front while someone else was playing it? Was the results the same? I ask because I was under the impression that the X20 sound hole pointing at the player seems to emphasize the bass. I could be wrong though ! Thanks.
Good point
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 12-13-2018, 08:01 PM
Charter Member

thanks for the quick response. Reactions more or less in order:

Elixir nanoweb 80/20 custom lights gets two votes. Good enough for me to give em a try - then move on to the others.

Pickup in the guitar is a Baggs AE but what I am describing is purely acoustic. I rarely play plugged in.

It doesn't seem to my ears that this is just a soundport design effect. To some extent I heard the same thing while playing a Rainsong I compared directly. And it was clear to me on the emerald both when I played and when someone else did and I listened from in front. Maybe though. I certainly hear more/fuller sound overall with the upward facing port - maybe I am just registering the bass more.

Thanks again.
Old 12-13-2018, 08:07 PM

I realize you're not mentioning plugged in sound, but the reason I asked what pickup you have is they can greatly effect the unplugged tone in guitars. For example, I just ripped the LR Baggs Anthem from my X30 the other day cause I thought it was impacting the unplugged tone and I was right. I won't go into full details here in this post but you mention you have a Baggs AE did you mean Anthem?
Old 12-13-2018, 08:10 PM
Charter Member

When I first got my X20 (almost two years ago now - time flies when you don't know what you're doing ), I was startled by the amount of sound coming out of that lovely guitar. It took me some time with it to understand that it can be played quietly; or you can let it snarl! I like the bass and the rumble against my belly.

I am using Elixir Nanoweb PB Lights (12 - 53). I would sure think the recommendations of the custom lights with a 52 top E would result in less bass.

I went just the opposite way with my X10, going to the Light Mediums, giving me a .035, .045, and .056 on the D-A-E strings. It does beef up the bass on that guitar.
Old 12-14-2018, 08:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarLuva View Post
I realize you're not mentioning plugged in sound, but the reason I asked what pickup you have is they can greatly effect the unplugged tone in guitars. For example, I just ripped the LR Baggs Anthem from my X30 the other day cause I thought it was impacting the unplugged tone and I was right. I won't go into full details here in this post but you mention you have a Baggs AE did you mean Anthem?
I had to go look it up, so that tells you pretty much all you need to know about my experience with pickups. But it is a Baggs Element. Looks to be some piezos, a volume control and a 9V battery.
Old 12-14-2018, 09:09 AM

You might also try the Elixir HD Light set that Taylor helped to develop. These are basically the opposite of a medium-light set, with heavier trebles (17 & 13) and lighter bass strings. It might yield a more pleasant overall tone balance for you. I share the opinion that the offset sound hole projects more sound up to the player, like your own personal monitor. It might also be that you are fully imprinted on the wood sound from your HD-28, and carbon tone is not your cup of tea. We all have a mental image of "perfect" acoustic tone.

The standard pickup in an Emerald (unless you pay extra to upgrade to Anthem) is the LR Baggs VTC Element. As for noticing any acoustic difference with / without a pickup - I can't say because I have never removed a pickup that was installed and functional.
Old 12-14-2018, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjk View Post
I had to go look it up, so that tells you pretty much all you need to know about my experience with pickups. But it is a Baggs Element. Looks to be some piezos, a volume control and a 9V battery.
It is likely that the Baggs element UST will have some effect on your unplugged tone, though, each guitar is different and mileage will vary. It is an easy check though that'll only take a few minutes. Just put a capo on the 1st fret and loosen your strings. Take off your saddle and pull the element out of the slot and put your strings back on. You can leave the element hanging there for now. That element UST is strong so don't worry about damaging it. At least if you do this you can rule it out. Note: I don't know how big your arm is but do to the design of the Emerald soundhole I had to get my wife to help me put it back in as my arm is too big to go all the way in there.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber