The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 12-11-2018, 04:57 PM

Default Has anyone had his Rainsong re-fretted ?

Just curious, considering that the frets are the only part that may need replacement after years of use.
If so, how did it go? And who did it for you? ☺
Old 12-11-2018, 05:08 PM

I never had it done to my RainSong but have heard the tooling and skills needed are no different than luthiers working on wood fretboards. I think I even read where it is easier on a composite board because the tangs won’t pull and splinter on CF like they can on wooden boards
Old 12-11-2018, 05:18 PM

My WS-1000 was bought new in 2001, and it shows little fret wear despite MANY hours of playing and gigging. And I have a very heavy fretting hand. Plus what Steelvibe said - fret work really shouldn't be any different, from everything I've heard.
Old 12-12-2018, 07:00 AM

I wish I had the discipline to own any guitar long enough to need a fret job :~(. I am liking my current main guitar enough to give that problem some thought and researched some fret wire options to match the RainSong bead. RainSong will send you their spec fret wire spec sheet if you ask them. It seems to be identical to Dunlop 6140 and Jescar 39106-236 NS. Both these choices are only available in nickel silver. Sintoms Ringing Stainless Steel FST-RSS270096 is the closest option I could find in stainless. Philadelphia Luthier Supply stocks this wire (it was so cheap I bought enough to re-fret a couple of guitars). RainSong's website says that their frets are press fit with no glue and can be replaced in the same manner as a wood guitar.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields

Last edited by jonfields45; 12-12-2018 at 07:10 AM.
Old 12-12-2018, 10:56 AM

Interesting to notice that no one, so far. seems to have ever re-fretted his Rainsong. Sign that the standard Rainsong frets are of good quality ! I was just curious to know which would be a local luthier reaction if a customer comes in with a Rainsong and asks for a re-fret. I guess that, if the luthier accepts the job, it wll probably be a first for him to do this kind of refretting!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber