The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 11-13-2019, 02:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoss02 View Post
I tried recording with just a phone but when the camera was far enough away there was a lot of fuzz but when it was closer it sounded great. However being that close won't work for how I want to take at the video. Thats why I want a mic so the camera can be farther away and the mic up close. If I have to I can record them separately I have done some video editing and was able to match up audio so i'm not too worried about that. plus I'm planning on putting photography and other stuff in my videos too not just me playing the time. still trying to work out all the details.
Well, "of course," is what I'd say because it's almost never the case that the camera location is good for audio - just saying it's worth really getting a good idea about the kind of audio recording that will solve the problem, and that can be different, depending on the video requirements as well as the room. E.g., the best looking video, considering framing, background, lighting, etc., might be terrible for getting good audio, because you've got huge expanses of glass that let in all kinds of noise. Now you have to close mic, but there's that big LDC and popscreen square in front of your face that doesn't look so good in the video. So then you are looking for a different mic solution, or solutions, since a small mic that keeps your face in view just doesn't pick up enough of the guitar. Etc.

There's a current thread about someone using a Zoom H4n (Pro) that might be of interest. The downside (of a digital recorder) is that you'd have to transfer the recorded tracks to the computer for processing in the DAW. But it gives you more placement flexibility than a USB mic IMO. (The H4n is out of budget, but it does have the capability to plug in additional mics later on. Just something else to consider.) Those are the kind of recorders a lot of folks use with a DSLR for movie making, however.
Old 11-13-2019, 02:14 PM

thanks for all your advice! It's appreciated! im gonna keep playing with camera placement and locations and do some more research online and stuff. It seems a audio interface would be the best option in the long run but there were several other options stated in this thread as well. I'll let y'all know what I end doing if I can figure this out
Old 11-13-2019, 08:11 PM

well I decided to pull the trigger on the presonus. it seems like it will be the best choice in the long run because over time i'm hoping to upgrade mics and stuff and hopefully this will give me the ability to do that. it was in my budget but once I get a mic stand and headphones and all those goodies I will be a little over budget but hey last time I bought a guitar I had a set budget and ended up getting one almost three times the amount... I guess that's just the way it works

thank you all for your helpful suggestions!
Old 11-15-2019, 09:15 AM

I picked up a FIFINE K669 from Amazon... Sounds Decent and seems to be built like a tank...All metal app $28
After some basic troubleshooting it works great with Audacity

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD