The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 10-09-2019, 09:19 PM
Charter Member

Wink

Yes, I believe Lance, Harvey, & Hank referred to themselves as the "Sierra Madre' Mafia." We were all on the RMMGA newsgroup back in the day. Not many websites in the 90s. All 3 of them were generous with their time! A creative group of builders, for sure!
Steve
Old 10-10-2019, 07:00 AM

I love hearing these stories...Lance was a true blue treasure...
My nick name for him was the "Chuck Norris" of fine guitar craft.
Thanks to all for sharing your memories.
Best,
Richard
Old 10-10-2019, 10:35 AM
Charter Member

I ordered a McCollum baritone through Dream Guitars. It was an interesting experience. he was definitely a character with strong opinions. It was a really cool baritone but I eventually traded it for a Ryan guitar.

I later acquired a McCollum harp guitar through a trade. That guitar came with 5 sub bass strings and a pretty odd split between the bass strings and the regular guitar strings.

The harp guitar was converted to a 6 bass string guitar by Kathy Wingert. Kathy and Lance were close friends and she has worked on a lot of his guitars since his passing.

Old 10-10-2019, 11:42 AM
Charter Member

Fellow McCollumites,

This one recently popped up near me. If anyone is seriously interested, let me know if you'd like me to swing by and check it out. It's purdy!

https://www.picknparlor.com/acoustic...m-meghan-m-185
Old 10-10-2019, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardleojohns View Post
Thanks for the replies...

Lance built me his first double neck...I just signed with Blue Note Records and was doing clinics for Taylor at the time...the guitar was my companion on the road for many years...

I also have a 12 string he made for me as well...both are outstanding.

Here is a pic of the double neck and me from 2000 or so.

https://images.app.goo.gl/Y7jpxvxgmzoQ2dm59

Looks like your doubleneck is for sale on Reverb. Anybody have 10k to get yourself a nice fiddle?
Old 10-10-2019, 12:19 PM
Charter Member

usb_chord that's a nice looking one. The Meghan models are much more rare than the GAs. If you recall, I dropped in to the store with my KOA/Cedar GA a couple years ago. A fine guitar, I recall it was #109.

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 10-10-2019, 01:12 PM
Charter Member

When did Lance pass away? He clearly had a huge impact on many luthiers.

2004 John Osthoff AS-C
1992 Taylor (DCSM)Dan Crary Signature Model

Last edited by sevenpalms; 10-11-2019 at 08:41 PM.
Old 10-10-2019, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
Looks like your doubleneck is for sale on Reverb. Anybody have 10k to get yourself a nice fiddle?
Thanks David ...
Well my touring days are over and I will be selling MANY guitars in the near future...
It breaks my heart to sell some of these...but I would rather help find them a loving home and someone who can enjoy playing them and not just hang them on a wall somewhere.
Also have serious neuropothy in my hands...so playing has been rough.
Best,
Richard
Old 10-10-2019, 10:21 PM

Guitar gallery has a meaghan model in Brazilian/German currently.

It’s a beaut.
Old 10-12-2019, 04:51 PM

Actually it was called the High Sierra Guitar Mafia and included Michael Lewis and Randy Allen as well. The name was given to us by the legendary Joe Mac the west coast Martin rep at the time.

Lance and I were good friends of course, I convinced his wife (Dawn) a guy could actually make a living building guitars. He was working with me at Voyage Air when he died. A real shock since I'd seen him the afternoon before... and he was only a month older then me.

Richard, I remember well the night at Healdsburg when you, Thom Bresh, Buster B Jones, Lisa Carver and Roy Rogers were all playing either McCollum or Leach guitars! Still can't believe I didn't sell a guitar at that show...

Harv
Old 10-13-2019, 08:06 AM

In the past couple of years of recording demos for Dream Guitars, the McCollum Slope D prototype Tree mahogany/Adi top is easily one of my favorite 3 guitars I have played there. If I had not just gotten my Ken Hooper Tree guitar I would be bringing the McCollum home.

Old 10-13-2019, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harvl View Post
Actually it was called the High Sierra Guitar Mafia and included Michael Lewis and Randy Allen as well. The name was given to us by the legendary Joe Mac the west coast Martin rep at the time.

Lance and I were good friends of course, I convinced his wife (Dawn) a guy could actually make a living building guitars. He was working with me at Voyage Air when he died. A real shock since I'd seen him the afternoon before... and he was only a month older then me.

Richard, I remember well the night at Healdsburg when you, Thom Bresh, Buster B Jones, Lisa Carver and Roy Rogers were all playing either McCollum or Leach guitars! Still can't believe I didn't sell a guitar at that show...

Harv
Harvey...
I remember the festival well...you build amazing instruments...so many great builders in the day.
I don't keep up with that world much anymore...but I hope you are doing well.
Lance is missed by many. I remember how I found out about his passing...I called to see if he could build a guitar for a friend...Dawn answerd the phone...I havn't spoken with either one of them in several years...she said he had just passed the day before...she was so shaken...I did not know what to say. What a wonderful family he had. I stayed with them many times and they were always a joy to be around.I Hope they are doing well.
Old 10-13-2019, 09:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenpalms View Post
When did Lance pass away? He clearly had a huge impact on many luthiers.
Early 2009, and quite suddenly. I learnt the news from Kathy Wingert who was a close friend of Lance and subsequently honored that friendship by finishing a baritone that Lance was building for me at the time he passed away. It is a very special guitar.
Old 10-19-2019, 06:09 PM

Hi Richard. I remember you from the 2001 Healdsburg guitar festival where I first met Lance. I've got the 15th guitar that Lance built from 1996. It is called an MJ, and it fits into a standard OM sized case. He abandoned the MJ I think after he started making the Meghan model. I bought it through Hank Maul a few years ago. I've taken good care of it. The neck was reset and later the intonation worked on and a pickup put in. I take it out with me to plug in when I go to jams. It sustained a new ding on the top last weekend at a really fun jam. It's OK, because that guitar had spent way too much time in the case in it's early life, and that little ding now reminds me of good times.

Lance was the first luthier I was taken by when I attended my first Healdsburg guitar festival back in 2001. I knew him through several gatherings and festivals over the years, and we had talked about having a custom guitar made for me. I really regretted not having done that, but I am fortunate to own a fine example of his work. I also own a fine Kathy Wingert model F she made for me in 2010. They were great friends!

Svea
Old 10-22-2019, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svea View Post
Hi Richard. I remember you from the 2001 Healdsburg guitar festival where I first met Lance. I've got the 15th guitar that Lance built from 1996. It is called an MJ, and it fits into a standard OM sized case. He abandoned the MJ I think after he started making the Meghan model. I bought it through Hank Maul a few years ago. I've taken good care of it. The neck was reset and later the intonation worked on and a pickup put in. I take it out with me to plug in when I go to jams. It sustained a new ding on the top last weekend at a really fun jam. It's OK, because that guitar had spent way too much time in the case in it's early life, and that little ding now reminds me of good times.

Lance was the first luthier I was taken by when I attended my first Healdsburg guitar festival back in 2001. I knew him through several gatherings and festivals over the years, and we had talked about having a custom guitar made for me. I really regretted not having done that, but I am fortunate to own a fine example of his work. I also own a fine Kathy Wingert model F she made for me in 2010. They were great friends!

Svea
Wow...1996...true vintage Lance.
I really don't mind dings and scratches...IF the guitar is being played and used...Itis what they were made for...not hanging on a wall or sitting in a case...
Best,
Richard

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop