The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 10-28-2019, 05:49 PM

Here’s a Hawaiian Slack Key tune on my Córdoba Fusion Orchestra Pro.

https://youtu.be/GKkpQOWpoeU

I think you can play most anything on a crossover, just depends on the tone that you’re looking for.

Gary
Old 11-02-2019, 05:13 PM

On my Cordoba C9 crossover I had the string spacing expanded at the nut so my crossover neck is set wider than the standard. I find finger style pop, travis picking, plectrum pop/rock all very comfortable. Certain classical pieces I find easier to play due to the neck being smaller but usually I find classical pieces harder to play. It's really tough playing around the 9-12th frets if barring is involved and a wider flatter neck is my preference. For jazz it's about 50/50, sometimes the crossover neck helps with giant stretches or certain arrangements.
Old 11-13-2019, 11:32 AM

I play Jazz / Fingerstyle arrangements that cover many genres. Over the years I've sought a crossover that allowed me to play, on a crossover, more of pieces I play my steel strings.

In the past, on nylon strings, I've had some pitch/timbre challenges playing chord forms that combined fretted notes up the neck played with open strings. I'm trying a Takamine TC135SC that is demonstrating more promise in the area.

My hope is to find a crossover that allows me to play all my steel string repertoire on nylon.

I have a Cordoba Fusion Orchestra which works very well with classical influenced pieces. More steel string like 14fret nylon guitars I've played, Taylor, Yamaha, and Takamine, have done better with more my contemporary fingerstyle arrangements.
Old 11-13-2019, 12:40 PM

Slide works on nylon strings too
Tanglewood TU13M ukulele
Brunswick BU4B baritone ukulele
Valencia VC204H hybrid
Deacon MA100 Mandolin
Old 11-13-2019, 11:09 PM

i play spanish guitar... Here's a vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSI1h1uJ7MQ

Played on a Taylor nylon (712, 12 fret)
Old 11-13-2019, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gcunplugged View Post
Here’s a Hawaiian Slack Key tune on my Córdoba Fusion Orchestra Pro.

https://youtu.be/GKkpQOWpoeU

I think you can play most anything on a crossover, just depends on the tone that you’re looking for.

Gary
Very nicely done! I play a version of Hi‘ilawe on nylon. You're right you can do just about anything on a crossover
Old 12-02-2019, 05:04 PM
Charter Member

I like my crossover for acoustic, finger style, blues and improvising on popular melodies. Sometimes, I accompany vocals or plug it in to accompany some friends with wind instruments.
Old 12-03-2019, 12:33 AM
Charter Member

I played nothing on my Taylor 814ce-N. I thought I needed a crossover/hybrid to help my moving between classical guitars and steel strings, but I was wrong. I found the crossover, while a beautiful guitar, ultimately served no purpose for me. If I play classical style music, then I may play it on a true classical guitar, or a steel string, depending on the piece and my mood. Typical steel string stuff stays on the steel strings.

Bottom line: The crossover was a compromise I didn't ultimately need. Perhaps it was because I was moving from classical to steel string, and not the other way around.

Louis
Collings OM1 SS Baked & 001M; D Taylor Mod D cut, Sinker Red/Coco; Bourgeois OM Custom (SS, EIR); Goodall KCJC; M Kinnaird 000-12, Cedar/Walnut cut; Kenny Hill "Munich" Euro/EIR; Kodama Kanoh #50 Euro/BRW; German Vasquez Rubio "Solista" Cedar/EIR; Antonio Marin Montero "Bouchet" Euro/BRW
Old 12-03-2019, 11:07 AM

I work pretty closely with the music director at our catholic parish.

He's a great pianist and a brilliant director.

We tend to do a few instrumental preludes as a duet a few times a month.

The steel strings don't bring the right mood like the nylon does. it's just the right sound for most of the material that comes up week to week.

I'd be lost with out it.
Old 12-04-2019, 02:07 PM

Default Do it all guitar

I play fingerstyle at home for fun. I learned on the internet from Denny Zager. He was one of the first ones to offer internet lessons for fingerstyle. He changed his focus from teaching to sellimg guitars. Eventually I found Jorge Nolla http://profdeguitare.com/index.php and I now learn arrangements from him. He plays and arranges for classical guitar but they are playable on anything.

I now am involved in a “jam group” of nearly deaf senior citizens. Before finding them I had never played in front of anyone. The first time that I played up front of them it was a fingerstyle song. I was very nervous and when it was done they thanked me for playing but they couldn’t hear it. For them I need a pick and ned to strum, etc.

So now I need a guitar for mostly solo fingerstyle work but that I can strum and flat pick with too. It would be ideal to just have one guitar. Would a crossover like the Taylor 814N that the gentleman before mentioned be a good choice. 90% of my playing is alone and I can’t see myself as a perfomer.

Thanks,
Russ
Old 12-04-2019, 04:19 PM

I now use exclusively traditional classical guitars, not crossover, and play mainly classical pieces, but I enjoy playing almost the whole iconic Unplugged album by Eric Clapton and sounds right, even if only few pieces are originally played on nylon strings. Then, there’s lot of Brazilian music you can play on nylon, of course.. I also did the theme of Paris-Texas by Ry Cooder on nylon with slide and it was fun (and sounded good too)! It’s versatile, more than steel strings imho.
Old 12-07-2019, 07:38 AM

It's true...you will be surprised at the versatility of a nylon string crossover. I do miss my steel string alot as many tunes just sound better on steel string guitar. Always plugged in with delay,reverb, and/or chorus for both types...just my taste and I get great feedback. Use lots of looping too.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical