The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 12-06-2019, 05:24 PM

Default Rainsong APSE

Does anyone have any experience with one of these?

Thanks
Old 12-07-2019, 03:35 PM

I sure want to get one. The APSE has the L.R. Baggs Anthem built in. It has the best amplified sound of any Rainsong. I just played one an hour ago at Blues Angel Music in Pensacola, FL. I would love to make it my next. The tuning stability is awesome. For a shorter scale guitar, it handles low tension alternate tunings really good. It plays like butter. I just wish they made it with 1 13/16" nut width. Oh well, you can't get everything you want all the time.
Old 12-07-2019, 07:59 PM
Charter Member

I have one, what would you like to know?
Old 12-07-2019, 11:03 PM
Charter Member

Sent you a pm.
They’re great instruments!
Old 12-07-2019, 11:43 PM

Default Thank you for the replies.

I have been playing fingerstyle home alone for years, learning first from www.zagerguitar.com and the from profdeguitare.com. I play a Cordoba C5 with a horribly high action, a Zager dreadnaught with a low easy to play action and mostly a Yamaha silent guitar steel to please the wife. I have very large hands and like the wide fretboard of the classical over the 1-11/16 of the others but prefer the lower actions on the steel strings. It is time to get the better action on a wider nut.

Al Pettaway’s video got to me and I ordered a used one on Reverb. I just hope that the 1.75” nut will be wide enough. I guess it will have to be. I just needed some encouragement and you gentlemen provided it. Thank you!

I am now also playing with a pick some in a senior citizen jam group. It is great fun and the apse should be nice for that also.

Doug I saw your website and went to Amazon and bought your fingerstyle hymn book. Now I can say that I study under you too.

I made a long trip to a Sam Ash only to find that they didn’t have any of the guitars that I wanted to try. What I did learn is that a 1.75” nut is much better than a 1 11/16 and that Rainsongs sound nice.

The hope is to play one guitar and focus on getting better and not on gear. Hopefully this new apse will take care of things for years to come. My wife can’t understand how another guitar is needed but she is a good sport.

Thanks to all for the help.

Russ
Old 12-08-2019, 01:30 AM

Anyone know what's the string spacing at the saddle?
Rainsong does not provide this spec. on their web site.
I'm in the market for a short scale instrument with a 1&3/4 nut and 2&1/4 at the saddle.
Thanks,

Aaron
Old 12-08-2019, 02:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trion12 View Post
Anyone know what's the string spacing at the saddle?
Rainsong does not provide this spec. on their web site.
I'm in the market for a short scale instrument with a 1&3/4 nut and 2&1/4 at the saddle.
Thanks,

Aaron
According to Dream Guitars, it's 2.19: https://www.dreamguitars.com/shop/ne...struction.html

I measured mine and get a tad wider than that, not quite 2.25, tho.
Old 12-08-2019, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
According to Dream Guitars, it's 2.19: https://www.dreamguitars.com/shop/ne...struction.html

I measured mine and get a tad wider than that, not quite 2.25, tho.
Thanks Doug.
Old 12-08-2019, 01:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjathon View Post
Doug I saw your website and went to Amazon and bought your fingerstyle hymn book. Now I can say that I study under you too.
Hope you enjoy the book, let me know if I can help with anything.

I just spent a month traveling with only my APSE (vacation, no gigs), and it held up quite well. It's a bit quieter than my other guitars, but not so much that it matters. I have played gigs with it, and it sounds pretty decent plugged in. The short scale and slightly narrower string spacing at the saddle, makes it feel a bit small to me, but I tend toward wider nuts (1 13/16) wider spacing at the saddle and longer scale guitars. Still it wasn't a problem, just felt more "intimate" and easier on the fingers.
Old 12-08-2019, 04:46 PM

Russ, I am sure you will enjoy it. I had been looking at that used one on Reverb. $1900 is a good deal. You don't see many of them used right now. I hope to get one myself in the future. It amplifies very well without feedback. Even though I would prefer a little wider string spacing, the 1 3/4" nut is very manageable. The intonation is spot on. The action is super easy. The tuning machines are fantastic. You can take it anywhere and not have to worry about damage. It has a very clear note separation that supports fingerstyle playing. There's really nothing not to like about it. It will not sound like a fine wood guitar, but it is still a pleasant sound. Enjoy. If you decide you don't really want it then it shouldn't be too difficult to find another buyer, but my guess is that you will keep it for a long time.
Old 12-08-2019, 05:11 PM

Default Thank you all

Thank you all for the kind and encouraging responses. Up until recently I didn’t know about various nut lengths, scale lengths, 12 fret guitars, etc. It has been quite a quest watching numerous you tube reviews, scanning every page here at the forum, reading reviews. I haven’t learned a new song or practiced much for several weeks. It is nice to have this behind me and to get back to playing again!

Russ
Old 12-08-2019, 09:22 PM

Russ, once you have gotten a chance to get use to your new guitar, you should give us a review of what you think about it for us guitar nerds.
Old 12-08-2019, 09:29 PM

Default Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Carr View Post
Russ, once you have gotten a chance to get use to your new guitar, you should give us a review of what you think about it for us guitar nerds.
It will be a pleasure. I am not qualified and can’t compare it to much but from there I can offer a perspective.

Russ
Old 12-14-2019, 09:37 AM

I have the APLE, predecessor to the APSE. I believe the only difference is a gloss finish rather than satin.

It's a beautiful guitar, superb construction, and excellent tone when played as it was intended to be. It doesn't work as well FOR ME, because I play with a flatpick, sort of bluegrassy style - Boom/chuck with a lot of bass runs, occasionally some solos breaks in the lower registers. It seems a little overdriven when I play that kind of stuff on it. My Smokey SMH and my "old" (2007) OM1000 both work better for me. I should be playing dreads, but between my age and short stature, I can no longer get comfortable playing a dread for very long. Maybe look for a trade for an all-carbon version of the Smokey or an Emerald x20....?

Peter
Old 12-14-2019, 09:20 PM

Default NGD

The APSE arrived. It is supposed to be “mint” (Reverb) but it does have some fret wear. Other than that it is in good shape and has a nice low action that is very nice.

The string spacing is too tight for me. I like the sound and feel of my nylon Cordoba but it’s action is way too high and unfixable.

To get the string spacing and better action I wonder if a nylon crossover or a Takamine EF740FS might be better. There is only one guitar store within range of me and they didn’t have a single nylon crossover or Takamine in stock.

I don’t need fancy electronics or really fancy anything, just a nice action, nice sound, and something that fits. I have a three day window to try to get used to the APSE before it has to go back but I doubt that it will do.

At this point I am even considering a Taylor Academy 12N as they are supposed to have a professional level action and playability.

It is a shame because the APSE is beautiful, sturdy, and sounds nice.

Thanks for any help,

Russ

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber