The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Old 12-08-2019, 02:45 PM
Charter Member

Default Olson SJ

I’ve been looking around for a while for an Olson SJ. I know there are a couple on Guitar Gallery but both have pickups and I’m looking for an SJ without any pickups or other alterations. I’ve also seen the ones at Luthier’s Collection, Dream Guitars, Reverb, etc. I’m willing to pay a fair price but I’m not the highest bid and some of these are priced higher than where I’m willing to pay. As far as condition, the closer to mint the better. With or without a cutaway. Feel free to reach out if you have an SJ that you’ve been thinking about selling. Thanks in advance.
2021 Bagnasco & Casati OM-28
Old 12-08-2019, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wespj10 View Post
I’ve been looking around for a while for an Olson SJ. I know there are a couple on Guitar Gallery but both have pickups and I’m looking for an SJ without any pickups or other alterations. I’ve also seen the ones at Luthier’s Collection, Dream Guitars, Reverb, etc. I’m willing to pay a fair price but I’m not the highest bid and some of these are priced higher than where I’m willing to pay. As far as condition, the closer to mint the better. With or without a cutaway. Feel free to reach out if you have an SJ that you’ve been thinking about selling. Thanks in advance.

Wespj10

Your not going to get a bargain price on a near mint to mint Olson SJ...your going to pay premium money, because that is the going market price on them at EVERY condition level...and you almost never see an Olson SJ on the market that is less than near mint to mint. "Road Dog" Olson SJ's are almost non-existent. James Taylor's and Phil Keaggy's original Olson SJ's are really the only ones I have ever seen that have very noticeable wear and tear on them from decades of touring and recording use.

While I suppose there is a chance that you can find one super clean for a killer deal price, at the very least, you are not going to have to work super super hard at finding one, and likely having to wait a very long time to find one at below high market pricing.

Good Luck...but DON"T hold your breath good sir...

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher
Old 12-08-2019, 03:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcduffnw View Post
Wespj10

Your not going to get a bargain price on a near mint to mint Olson SJ...your going to pay premium money, because that is the going market price on them at EVERY condition level...and you almost never see an Olson SJ on the market that is less than near mint to mint. "Road Dog" Olson SJ's are almost non-existent. James Taylor's and Phil Keaggy's original Olson SJ's are really the only ones I have ever seen that have very noticeable wear and tear on them from decades of touring and recording use.

While I suppose there is a chance that you can find one super clean for a killer deal price, at the very least, you are not going to have to work super super hard at finding one, and likely having to wait a very long time to find one at below high market pricing.

Good Luck...but DON"T hold your breath good sir...

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher
Totally understand and didn’t mean to imply I’m looking for a bargain price. If the ones at Guitar Gallery didn’t have pickups I would have acquired either one of those, neither of which are mint or bargain priced. I just meant to say that I’ll pay a fair price (around market price) for one and ideally I would save the seller the transaction costs of going through a guitar store. And in a perfect world, I’d like to find one in better condition than not. But a road dog wouldn’t work for me. Hope that helps to clarify. Thanks.
Old 12-08-2019, 05:05 PM

There's one on Reverb from Australia that I consider below high market price. Good/very good condition and lovely. However, I'm interested in who/why one would be looking for a very, very expensive guitar without care of whether it's cut away or not - without playing it first.
Old 12-08-2019, 05:10 PM

There's also one on Ebay that's 2.5 hours east of you in Johnson SC.
Old 12-08-2019, 05:17 PM

Also - one in our classifieds - you can always remove a pick up like this one has.

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=518095
Old 12-08-2019, 05:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSteve View Post
Also - one in our classifieds - you can always remove a pick up like this one has.

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=518095
Thanks for the links. The AGF listing is something I overlooked as it’s been so long since there was any activity on the thread. And understood on removing the pickup.

As to my comment on the cutaway, I don’t mind not having a cutaway, but I also don’t find any negatives with a cutaway. So I’m somewhat agnostic to whether there is a cutaway. And I’m not thinking that it’s likely I’ll get to play it before I buy given the limited supply.
Old 12-09-2019, 10:46 AM
Charter Member

As a multiple Olson owner, I am curious why you want one without a pickup?

Jim installs one in most of his guitars.

Is it a sound thing ?

1973 Guild D40 6 string.

1995 Olson SJ
Old 12-09-2019, 11:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by digman52 View Post
As a multiple Olson owner, I am curious why you want one without a pickup?

Jim installs one in most of his guitars.

Is it a sound thing ?
I’m probably odd in this respect, but since I don’t play outside of the home and I like to think of guitars as something I will hand down one day to my kids, I prefer to buy them without any electronics. Whether I actually hold on to them that long is probably unlikely but I’d rather be particular at the time of buying.
Old 12-09-2019, 06:06 PM
Charter Member

According to Jim's website, his wait time is 9 months. Assuming that is still accurate (anyone?) that seems to me like a preferable path versus the prices I see these selling for used.
2019 Froggy Bottom H12 (Adi/Bastogne)
2023 Isaac Jang OM (Italian/Coco)
2020 PRS SE Custom
Old 12-09-2019, 06:43 PM
Charter Member

Off Topic - Not an Olson but just in case, have you considered some of the better Brazilian Ryan Mission? I've had both Ryan and Olsons, and friend at church has an Olson and almost traded it for a Ryan a number of years back.
Old 12-09-2019, 07:55 PM
Charter Member

They may both be outstanding guitars but they are substantially different in my experience.
Old 12-09-2019, 09:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTL View Post
Off Topic - Not an Olson but just in case, have you considered some of the better Brazilian Ryan Mission? I've had both Ryan and Olsons, and friend at church has an Olson and almost traded it for a Ryan a number of years back.
I’ve owned a Ryan Nightingale before. It wasn’t brazilian but it was a pretty amazing guitar. Never tried his Paradiso model or the older Missions but I’m not sure they’re what I’m looking for right now. If I could get both side by side, it’d be fun to compare/contrast, but that would be an expensive undertaking... there’s always YouTube though.
Old 12-09-2019, 09:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfarhadi View Post
According to Jim's website, his wait time is 9 months. Assuming that is still accurate (anyone?) that seems to me like a preferable path versus the prices I see these selling for used.
I have corresponded with Jim both this year and last year (about a particular guitar last year). My understanding is he’s only taking orders for brazilian guitars and he’s pretty limited on the number of orders he’s willing to accept right now as he’s both limiting his schedule and focusing on the more custom builds. Having said that, it is definitely an option I’m considering.
Old 12-10-2019, 04:03 PM
Charter Member

Call the Music Emporium. I just saw on FB they got one on consignment

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars