The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 12-08-2019, 02:01 PM

Default Child’s guitar suggestions

Hello I was looking for advice on a good starter guitar for a 5 year old.

From my research I think he should be looking for a 1/2 size (let me know if this is wrong)

I was looking at the Cordoba C1M 1/2 or the Cordoba Mini II

I’m partial to Córdoba and Yamaha but open to suggestions.

I will probably chase one down used looking to stay close to $100.

I can do all the setup, etc.

Thanks,

Chris
Old 12-08-2019, 02:41 PM
Charter Member

I've had a pair of Cordoba Mini Is and pair of Mini IIs. I think those would make fantasic guitars for a child! They've even got solid tops.

I gave one of my Mini IIs to a coworker for his 10 year old daughter, and she never lets it out of her sight. Loves it!
Old 12-08-2019, 06:00 PM

Location: New Zealand, South Island, way down toward the bottom!

I'm a fan of the Yamahas in the very very entry level range for something like this - they can take a pretty severe beating and still hold their tuning years later. My kids are generally very careful with their things, but I like to keep a guitar on a stand in the living room, and one never knows when an all-out brawl will break out... I think you're right about a 1/2 for a 5yo starting out.
Old 12-09-2019, 11:20 AM

I have a Cordoba Mini M, and really like it.

Lower the saddle, crank in the proper neck relief, select some good strings and you are going to be pleased. I keep mine in my car for practice when waiting for my wife, or if I get to work early. It has survived wild changes in temperature and humidity and hardly changes tune.

You can find them used in good shape for about $110.00. incl a nice gig bag. I picked up mine off the Reverb site.

The previous owner had adjusted the neck flat trying to lower the action, and it sounded awful. As soon as I dialed it in correctly, and changed the strings, the Cordoba Mini M sounded and played like a real instrument.

If something were to happen to it, I would buy another one without any hesitation.
Old 12-10-2019, 06:56 AM

Depending on the size of the child's hands, a 48mm nut may be a little wide to start with. If I recall correctly, the Strunal 1/2 size was closer to 43-45mm, but I'm not sure what's available these days from them. There is a pretty comprehensive discussion here:
https://www.suzukidad.com/guitar-gea...drens-guitars/

My personal opinion is that solid top isn't a requirement for a beginner child, but others may disagree. I think comfort and playability should be the top considerations.
Old 12-11-2019, 09:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smwink View Post
Depending on the size of the child's hands, a 48mm nut may be a little wide to start with. If I recall correctly, the Strunal 1/2 size was closer to 43-45mm, but I'm not sure what's available these days from them. There is a pretty comprehensive discussion here:
https://www.suzukidad.com/guitar-gea...drens-guitars/

My personal opinion is that solid top isn't a requirement for a beginner child, but others may disagree. I think comfort and playability should be the top considerations.
Completely agree! It's just a bonus if it happens to be a feature of a particular guitar. Of course, with that bonus comes the responsibility to try to keep it properly humidified. Whereas an all-plywood guitar is practically maintenance-free and pretty sturdy. I've got a plywood Yamaha classical that I began my classical studies on back in 1987 or so. It's never been humidified and never will be. I may never play it again (I just keep it around for sentimental reasons, since my dearly-missed mother bought it for me), so the beauty of plywood is that I don't have to waste time giving it periodic drinks.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical