The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-17-2019, 03:54 PM

In theory no. But I have never touched a 000-28EC that wasn't an amazing guitar.
Old 09-17-2019, 08:03 PM
Charter Member

* When my '97 Lowden's pickup went kaput in the early 2010's and the frets were shot after 15 years I started looking for another acoustic/electric guitar for stage. Lowden had closed and when new one's came out they were 3x what I paid for my '97. I looked for guitars with a pinless bridge, split saddle and dovetail joint and satin finish like my Lowden, as I prefer those features... the search ensued.

** As a big Kenny Chesney fan who's music I cover in my Trop-rock setlist, I noticed his signature edition; the KC70. I bought it not because of "Kenny Chesney" but rather because it checked all the boxes tonally, neck joint, neck profile, pinless bridge, split saddle, satin finish and even had the same amber tuner buttons as my '97 Lowden! I had never played a Takamine and took the chance sight unseen and AMS gave me a great deal and great service.

*** Out of the box this new 2012 KC70 was great, and as I said, it checked all my preferred boxes including unplugged; tho not quite the same as my Lowden, the KC70 is warmer and a bit sweeter, yet not as loud. The KC's intonation and sustain all the way up the neck was as good as my Lowden and better then my Goodall... it even had a motif of the coastal vibe of where and how I live, nice touch!

**** The KC70 just felt right and I was impressed with the quality of craftsmanship, especially matching my Lowden and custom Goodall in the same room!! I know it sounds odd, but I felt a connection moving from my Lowden to the KC70. Maybe because Takamine picked up the ideas of the pinless bridge and split saddles from George Lowden when he was a consultant in the early eighties. The Tak AN series has a lot of Lowden's influence, which is a good thing, and remember the Japanese Lowden's which were excellent... that is more the lure for me to the KC70.

***** I ended up gutting the pickup and refretting my '97 Lowden. I put a Baggs M1A in it and it played great. My son wanted it so I gifted it to him and the Tak KC70 has been my fav ever since. Me and my KC70 have performed hundreds of tiki bars with a whole lotta love ...and that's my signature story!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kc70 is #1.jpg (71.1 KB, 37 views)
Old 09-18-2019, 05:50 AM
Charter Member

I'm much more likely to be drawn in by a really nice custom shop variation of a D-18/D-28/HD-28.

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 09-18-2019, 08:07 AM

I like the SCGC models: Tony Rice, Bob Brozman, Eric Skye, Don Edwards
Old 09-19-2019, 12:38 PM

I have a signature, but only because it fit my requirements and my budget as it was over 50% off the list and only slightly more than the other guitar I was considering. I am so, so happy I got it as it blew the other guitar that I was considering out of the water.

I would be hesitant to buy a signature just to buy a signature as I have watched too many rig rundowns where the production model is nowhere near the artists actual guitar. It is really cool to see the various non-standard mods these artists incorporate into their instrument, especially electrics.

Last edited by grauemaus; 09-19-2019 at 12:44 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion