The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 01-15-2002, 01:28 PM

Default Practice Time

Just curious here. Is there a favorite time of the day that everyone likes practice. Reason for this question is that when I practice late morning music seems to flow. Any other time of the day practice just seems to be awkward and the music doesn't sound as good. BTW I work swing shift so my bio-rythums are usually way out of whack, like my spelling. Just curious to hear when others get there best practice in.
Old 01-15-2002, 02:59 PM

Being a single guy, I have the luxury of being able to play when every I want. However, I'm most comfortable playing between 8PM and 12AM. I think I could play at any time of day if I had a half hour or so to warm up.
Old 01-17-2002, 10:54 AM

Default Practice schedule

I have two practice sessions and one play session, routinely speaking. First, I'll spend 15-20 minutes in the early AM (~6 am) practicing with the left hand (chords, chord changes, hammer ons/pull offs, etc). I have to be quiet because Guitar Baby is still asleep, but the quiet helps me concentrate on my left hand fingers. I have a second practice session in the evening (anywhere from 15-60 minutes), where I try to play whatever I worked on that morning, plus think about the next thing to practice the next day. I also use a metronome during my evening session, mainly to keep me from rushing.

The combination helps me learn songs measure by measure. The morning session is better suited to left-hand exercises, while the evening is better suited for right hand stuff (I'm a fingerpicker). I use this guy's book a lot during my practice sessions: http://www.guitarprinciples.com

I tend to play/jam a lot in the evening (after dinner) and on weekends.

Good post. I wonder what others do, and who else makes the distinction between practice and play?

If you want to succeed, you should strike out on new paths rather than travel the worn paths of accepted business. John D. Rockefeller

Uncork New York!
Old 01-17-2002, 12:56 PM

I discipline myself to practice at least 15 minutes every day, after dinner. I start with scales, some chords exercises and then I hit the song book. I try to play no more than an hour at a time, but on the weekend I can play 3 sessions or more in a day, if I am at home. I also dedicate the Saturday afternoon + evening to play with friends.
Old 01-18-2002, 07:54 PM

Red face Just finished...

my evening practice session. I almost have the song I'm working on up to full tempo (Key To The Highway by Big Bill Broonzy). I'll try it full bore tomorrow (Guitar Baby is sleeping right now, so I have to be really quiet...sshhh...)

G'night y'all.....zzzzzzz..........

If you want to succeed, you should strike out on new paths rather than travel the worn paths of accepted business. John D. Rockefeller

Uncork New York!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell