The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 01-01-2019, 06:09 PM

Default Martin j40 buzzing problem

So I just bought a martin j40 2018 model brand new
Got it from sweetwater and it is horrible. Tuning machine heads are the hardest I have ever turned(only some not all). Also neck has relief in it plenty actually and buzzes like alot. It was setup factory for medium strings I paid sweetwater before shipping to set it up for light strings. It plays and sounds like crap. One of the most uncomfortable guitars to play for some reason. I have been playing with the same strings day in and out for years with no pain and on this guitar my fingers hurt from open chords and they are hard to ring out. What the hell is wrong with this guitar lol. It's amazing looking and deep down I feel like it could sound and play amazing but I just dont know what is wrong with it. Brand new 4,000 dollar guitar should sing amazing and play the same or if not easier then my 2017 martin m36 or my 2015 gibson songwriter. Sad to say but I would take a taylor over this j40 with how it plays and sounds.
Old 01-01-2019, 07:23 PM

As a rule, Martin's come with a fairly high set-up from the factory, because it is far easier to lower than to raise the action. My J-40 came from the custom shop with a moderately high set-up back in 1990. A new J-40 should be pretty close to your M-36 as a player, just a deeper body.

Just speculating here, but my first guess is that Sweetwater did a pretty poor job with your set-up request. Do you have measurements for string height at the 12th fret, amount of saddle showing above the bridge, amount of relief, etc?
Old 01-01-2019, 08:35 PM

Just send it back and buy a different guitar.

Or take it to a tech who really knows his stuff and get it set-up correctly.
Old 01-02-2019, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin_024 View Post
So I just bought a martin j40 2018 model brand new
Got it from sweetwater and it is horrible. Tuning machine heads are the hardest I have ever turned(only some not all). Also neck has relief in it plenty actually and buzzes like alot. It was setup factory for medium strings I paid sweetwater before shipping to set it up for light strings. It plays and sounds like crap. One of the most uncomfortable guitars to play for some reason. I have been playing with the same strings day in and out for years with no pain and on this guitar my fingers hurt from open chords and they are hard to ring out. What the hell is wrong with this guitar lol. It's amazing looking and deep down I feel like it could sound and play amazing but I just dont know what is wrong with it. Brand new 4,000 dollar guitar should sing amazing and play the same or if not easier then my 2017 martin m36 or my 2015 gibson songwriter. Sad to say but I would take a taylor over this j40 with how it plays and sounds.
Amazing what a good or bad setup can do, if you really like the look of the guitar and the tone, then find someone that is good at doing Setup’s, setting a guitar up well is different to selling a guitar, to building a guitar or to repairing a guitar,

some people possess the skills across all aspects of guitar work, some do not, find someone who has a good rep in setups.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 01-05-2019, 04:42 PM

Well I just took the martin to a pro that fixes, builds ect. He checked everything right in front of me. Neck is perfect, action at 12th fret perfect, fret heights perfect. Nothing seems to be wrong with this martin but buzzes D note on A string and B note on low E string. We checked bracing for a loose brace even changed the strings thinking the ball end could cause it. It Is a mystery.
Old 01-05-2019, 06:22 PM

Sorry then he is not a pro.

Get a second opinion

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 01-05-2019, 06:56 PM

Default Martin j40 buzzing problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirwa View Post
Sorry then he is not a pro.

Get a second opinion

Steve

I agree with mirwa. Theres obviously a problem and the right luthier will find and correct it. I had a string buzz problem with a brand new Taylor T5z. I checked everything mentioned and all were in spec. I gave it to my luthier who is a platinum Taylor tech. When I received it back he had changed the strings to D’Addario’s, perfected the setup and the buzz was gone.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 01-05-2019, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT55 View Post
I gave it to my luthier who is a platinum Taylor tech.
Taylor have one of the best aftermarket support networks IMHO, I always find it funny how they categorise their repairers

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair