The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 02-01-2002, 09:20 PM

For what it's worth...

If you don't read music, then you need to play by ear. I don't read music fast enough to make it work for guitar, so I've had to train my ear to hear things. Tabs are okay, but not the best way.

I agree with the person who said learn scales. You should practice major scales, minor scales, and pentetonic scales an hour a day. Start on the low E and work up. Be sure to include scales starting on the D string, as it takes you to the B string, and the weird interval that occurs with the B string. The relationship between the G and B is a 3rd, not a 4th like the rest of the strings. Practicing your scales going up and down utilizing the B string will overcome that little obstacle.

In addition to learning various chords such as major, minor, major 7th, diminished, 2nd, 4th, etc, is learning intervals. That's the relationship between notes. If you are playing in the key of C, for instance, then C is your root or first note. F would be the 4th, and G the 5th. Simple enough, but you need to know the sharp and flat variations, major 7ths, minor, etc. You need to be able to "see" it in your minds eye when you hear an interval. The difference between a 1st and a 5th, for example. C to G, D to A, G to D, F to C, etc. Lots of practice, but it comes. (think Do-Re-Me)

Perhaps this is overly boring and basic, but it's the only way I've been able to survive music without being an avid reader. You can get to the point where you can often tell what key a guitar playing is in by the voicing of the chord. If he is in the key of D for instance, the voicing is identified because a D chord in the open position only utilizes 4 strings, unlike say, a G or E chord where all six strings are used. In a standard fingering, the E and A strings are not in the D chord per se. (The A really is in the chord, but it doesn't always sound good when played as the first note in the chord) So if you can figure out what key he's in, then you can visualize the intervals and figure out what he's doing.

The more you do this stuff, the less you'll be nailed down to a chord sheet or tab, and the greater possibility of jumping out on your own creative merits, rather than walking musically in the footsteps of another.

Maybe you're already beyond this...sorry if it's basic. It's hard to know where each player is at musically on the forum.

Larrivee OM40 Rosewood
Larrivee OM40 Mahogany
2011 Taylor 314ce

Yamaha BB Bass, Fender Strats, PRS Zach Myers, Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro

Last edited by ScottyMac; 02-22-2002 at 01:24 PM.
Old 02-14-2002, 09:44 PM

Lightbulb Words to remember

As my junior high band teacher always said, "Practice does not make perfect!! Perfect practice makes perfect!!!"

I think his point was.... Use good techniqe. Work small segements of music at a time, till they are correct. Don't continually play an entire piece while making all kinds of errors. Break it down, bit by bit, and perfect it.... Thanks Mr. Gardner!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell