The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 02-25-2024, 06:02 PM

Default Godin Fifth Avenue with single P90 pickup

Noticed this one listed as "used" on the Pro Audio Star website. I know they sell some instruments that are new as "open box" or "used" so there's no warranty provided, but several folks have bought from them and been perfectly happy.

It's cheap enough...

Godin Fifth Avenue P90
Old 02-26-2024, 11:30 AM
Charter Member

Nice. I’ve seen that one too. I wanted to try one in person and my local shop had one so I went to try it. It sounded and played good. I was surprised that it was nice and loud. Strings were pretty heavy. But, I had a hard time with the cheaper components. The tailpiece, bridge, even the finish, feel pretty cheap, so I didn’t bring it home. Maybe that was a mistake? It sounded good enough.
Old 02-26-2024, 12:43 PM

Pretty good price. I've had one for years, they're great guitars in that ES-125 vibe...or maybe more like the look of an old cheap Harmony, but you know...playable

Anyway, nothing really "cheap" about them, just not glossy. I did replace my bridge with a well fitted wooden bridge, and it got rid of sort of an annoying metallic "ping" sound the guitar made unplugged (wasn't a huge deal really, as it didn't come through the amp, and despite the fact it sounds decent unplugged, this is really an electric guitar)

Here's mine doing what I think it does well.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 02-26-2024, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
Noticed this one listed as "used" on the Pro Audio Star website. I know they sell some instruments that are new as "open box" or "used" so there's no warranty provided, but several folks have bought from them and been perfectly happy.

It's cheap enough...
If you're going to buy from ProAudioStar better plan on keeping it forever, regardless of condition or whether it suits your needs - there's a whole bunch of reviews out there that agree with your assessment of exceptionally low prices on B-Stock and used gear, and at least an equal number complaining about their customer [dis]service personnel and policies...

Caveat emptor...
Old 02-27-2024, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
If you're going to buy from ProAudioStar better plan on keeping it forever, regardless of condition or whether it suits your needs - there's a whole bunch of reviews out there that agree with your assessment of exceptionally low prices on B-Stock and used gear, and at least an equal number complaining about their customer [dis]service personnel and policies...

Caveat emptor...
Totally on board with that. I'm a big fan of "you often get what you pay for"! I'm always leary of anyone who markets at a "lower than normally seen" price. I always figure there's a reason for that.
Old 03-02-2024, 10:55 AM

Hi Rudy4,

I'm just chiming in here, as I just recently ordered a guitar from ProAudioStar (about 2 weeks ago now). I figured I would give my impressions.

First, I did order from them a few years back. They had a nice pair of AKG headphones for a deep discount. I got the headphones pretty quick and they were brand new. I was happy.

This guitar order is the second time ordering from them. I too was a bit worried, because the guitar (Gretsch G2420T) was at a VERY low price, brand new. The guitar shipped the next day and I got it in two days total from shipped to my door. (I am only one state over though, so YMMV).

This is where the one thing I did not like about my transaction comes in. They didn't double box the guitar, so it only came in the Gretsch box and it was pretty ragged looking by the time it got to my door. That said, the guitar was perfectly fine in the box... but I credit that to Gretsch's packaging design more than anything ProAudioStar did.

Now, I don't know what that means for a used guitar... I'm not sure how they package their used equipment. They could be great at it... or not. Might be something you'll want to look into further.

Besides that, I'm loving my new guitar and I'm quite happy with the price I paid. So ProAudioStar is two for two on good orders from me overall.

Wasper

Edit: Just to add, I was looking at that very same guitar (as you see from above, I went with a Gretsch instead). If you go find it on reverb (it is listed there as well), it is listed as "Mint". If you are worried, buy it through Reverb and you will get an extra layer of protections. That is what I was planning on doing if I bought the used Godin.

"Those who wish to appear wise among fools, among the wise seem foolish."
Quintilian

Last edited by Wasper; 03-02-2024 at 11:00 AM.
Old 03-02-2024, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasper View Post
Hi Rudy4,

I'm just chiming in here, as I just recently ordered a guitar from ProAudioStar (about 2 weeks ago now). I figured I would give my impressions.

First, I did order from them a few years back. They had a nice pair of AKG headphones for a deep discount. I got the headphones pretty quick and they were brand new. I was happy.

This guitar order is the second time ordering from them. I too was a bit worried, because the guitar (Gretsch G2420T) was at a VERY low price, brand new. The guitar shipped the next day and I got it in two days total from shipped to my door. (I am only one state over though, so YMMV).

This is where the one thing I did not like about my transaction comes in. They didn't double box the guitar, so it only came in the Gretsch box and it was pretty ragged looking by the time it got to my door. That said, the guitar was perfectly fine in the box... but I credit that to Gretsch's packaging design more than anything ProAudioStar did.

Now, I don't know what that means for a used guitar... I'm not sure how they package their used equipment. They could be great at it... or not. Might be something you'll want to look into further.

Besides that, I'm loving my new guitar and I'm quite happy with the price I paid. So ProAudioStar is two for two on good orders from me overall.

Wasper

Edit: Just to add, I was looking at that very same guitar (as you see from above, I went with a Gretsch instead). If you go find it on reverb (it is listed there as well), it is listed as "Mint". If you are worried, buy it through Reverb and you will get an extra layer of protections. That is what I was planning on doing if I bought the used Godin.
Thanks a bunch! That's great information for prospective ProAudioStar customers.
I'm not a prospective customer, although that price point does seem to be attractive for those looking for that particular guitar. I've got a full house and no room for any additional purchases right now.
My current interest is with nylon strung guitars and they had some "B stock / used" Cordoba Stages at similar deals a while back. (It was hard to resist...).
I make most anything I want, but the Cordoba Stage at less than $500 was difficult to look away from.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops