The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-18-2018, 08:03 PM
Charter Member

Default NGD: Alvarez AF60SB folk size sunburst!

Oh happy day! I scratched a couple itches with this new purchase. The first is that I’ve been looking for a low cost OM size guitar to use in places where I don’t want to take my one and only nice acoustic Martin OM-28. I tried several makers and narrowed down my search to an Alvarez “folk” size, which is essentially an OM size. Low cost but well made. I found this b-stock at a terrific shop called the Manchester Music Mill in NH. More on them below.

The second itch this filled was the sunburst. Drooling over the recent “Gibby” thread (darn you guys) really got me Jonesing for a burst. No way in hell I could afford a Gibson or anything close at the moment after getting hammered by taxes, but when I came across this solid Sitka top, laminated Mahogany back and sides Alvarez SB I knew it was a contender.

Sound wise it is clear, has good intonation and is surprisingly loud for its size. It has a gritty Gibsonesque Hog growl when you dig in, and a good sustain. It’s punchy. It does not have nearly as good note separation, evenness across the strings or as rounded a tone as the OM-28. However, at less than 1/15th the price I wouldn’t expect it. It can be finger picked fine it but I think the sound is better suited for strumming or strum-picking for vocal accompaniment.

The neck is comfortable, with a smooth satin finish. It is supposed to be 1-3/4, same as the Martin, but is in fact slightly wider. I’ll adjust to it. It seems to be staying in tune pretty well, accept maybe the G string, but I need to play it more. I haven’t come across any dead spots yet either.

The sunburst is exactly how I like them - not too dark. As for the finish, well it is a b-stock so has a couple flaws. Most noticeable is a very long finish scratch/crack above the pick-guard. I had an extendable mirror with me and confirmed it is only on the surface.. It looks worse than it is. I will have to do some research to determine how to improve it. The top of the headstock has some fading, but it’s no big deal. The front has what looks like a lone bear claw that seems out of place, but I look at it as a birthmark that gives it a unique character.

I’d heard good things about Manchester Music Mill but had never ventured the (1 hour) ride to visit them. I’m glad I finally did. They have a well-rounded selection of new and used guitars in all price ranges, and a good selection of boxes and supplies. Most importantly the people who work there are extremely engaging and helpful. At least 3 if not 4 people asked me if I needed any help. You will find the kind of service at MMM you only get from a place that really values their customers. The store has a very friendly vibe and buzz to it that you don’t get in a big box store.

We put this one in a decent “used” (really looks new) Fender hard case the guys dug up for me and I’m a happy camper. I must say these Alvarez are insanely good guitars for the money. The b-stock... even better!

Last edited by HeyMikey; 04-18-2018 at 09:05 PM.
Old 04-19-2018, 03:25 AM

In November, I have the Alvarez dreadnought version of the same guitar and bought it for the same reason; As an alternative to my OM-35 and D-35.

Now that yours already has a few imperfections, you won't feel bad if it gets a few nicks under your care. Enjoy.
Old 04-19-2018, 05:42 AM

I have an AF60FB laying on the bed in my motel room as I type this. Bought it used at GC, take it with me when I travel with work. Nice guitar for the money. Can’t complain.
Old 04-19-2018, 06:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teherie View Post
Now that yours already has a few imperfections, you won't feel bad if it gets a few nicks under your care. Enjoy.
Exactly! Vacations, camping, beach, backyard cookouts, maybe some bar gigs... everywhere I don’t want to have to worry about a couple scratches or dings. My goal was to find something that cost little but played well. This fit the bill. It sounds terrific.

I watched a couple vids and was thinking of trying cfa superglue, taped razor blade, sand and buff on the scratch. First to learn, and second because if I mess up a bit it’s no big deal. Any tips on that?

Last edited by HeyMikey; 04-19-2018 at 06:20 AM.
Old 04-19-2018, 08:37 AM

I bought a Epiphone AJ200 cheap with a bad scratch. Rubbing compound by hand, followed by polishing compound then palm of my hand as I recall to get the swirle marks out. Got most of it out. I used to be a car/truck guy. Not much difference when it comes to getting a scratch out.
Old 04-19-2018, 11:30 AM

We trust with this nice acquisition, the itching has stopped.
Old 04-19-2018, 07:32 PM
Charter Member

Sadly the itch has not gone away “completely”. Its much better for now, but I know it will be back at some point. It’s kind of like poison ivy, isn’t it? You can soothe the itch temporarily with a little lotion, but to make it go away requires stronger medicine (like oh, say a vintage LG2). And then of course you always risk getting it again the next year...

Last edited by HeyMikey; 04-19-2018 at 08:07 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion